News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Noob question...  (Read 1558 times)

b2therizzo

• View Profile
Noob question...
« on: January 29, 2016, 12:57:43 pm »
I have a noob question and I'm asking to determine what course of action I will take ... I was thinking of either hacking a Chrono Trigger rom or using RPGmaker ... I wanted to add extra stuff to the game, using either a DS rom or an SNES rom. I think the SNES rom will be easier to hack.  My concern is with how much extra data I can pack into it before I break the ROM? Is that a valid concern? I want to add lots of extra content, I mean lots ...
Obviously using RPGmaker would be easier to edit, allow for better graphics, sound and now iPhone export but there are no battle systems for RPGmaker that are even close to the original style of Chrono Trigger, which was all the appeal of the original.
What's everyone's opinion? I'm just wondering what is the best way to go about this.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
Re: Noob question...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 01:35:51 pm »
I'd say try playing around with the rom using Temporal Flux. I've never used it personally, but  I've used RPG Maker a good deal, and was often frustrated with it (even though I had more freedom with it, I always felt... more limited in ways).
I've never heard much of anything negative about the editor (like things raping your hard work), unlike editors for certain other games.

Just try playing around with it for a while, learn what limitations that the game has, and have some good ol fashioned fun! :thumbsup:

Also, keep backups as you make progress. I usually make one before I begin messing around for the day, and make dated folders for them to keep everything neat. Cause sometimes horrible, horrible shit will happen out of nowhere and those backups are your bread and butter. ;)

Not to mention that almost every device under the sun has a SNES emulator that can play Chrono Trigger, which would make your prjuct muuuch more accessible to others!
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

RyanfaeScotland

• View Profile
    • My Brill Game Site
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 01:48:20 pm »
Instead of putting a vague title can you put in the key details of the post, makes it easier for people to be able to tell if they can help or not. Cheers!

b2therizzo

• View Profile
ROM hacking Chrono Trigger question
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 01:53:35 pm »
I'm concerned with trying to add extra playable characters or all of the extra maps I would like to add, if there are limitations to how many data slots I can create ... Like are there only 10 slots for extra maps. I would probably eliminate a lot of the weapons and armor, will that free up space that I can use for maps? I'd love to remove the overworld map and just link individual maps.

I'm hoping to combine elements from CT and add parts of Crimson Echos and CC as well as a secret new ending but it's a lot of extra data ... Will an emulator error out if a ROM is too big?

What SNES emulator can I use on an iPhone? Or is that an illegal question to ask?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 02:06:47 pm »
Adding new playable characters is wayyyyyy beyond the scope at the moment.  We can barely fit one as is, even then, there's some serious bugs that still need to be worked out sadly, but at least one is possible.

Extra Maps are possible, though, I'm not entirely sure how many.  A long while back I was adding in the DS events into the SNES (The shadow versions of the PCs, Dream Devourer, the Canyon).  That all fit just fine into the ROM no problem.

The most likely max you can have is 6MB though some ROMs can go to 8MB.. though it depends on the game.  Tales of Phantasia can and the entire ROM can be viewable, but games like Super Mario RPG require bank swapping, the same with Star Ocean.

6MB is way more than enough room I think for anything you'd absolutely 'need' to add.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

b2therizzo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 05:20:20 pm »
See, that's kinda what I was hoping to learn ... I would have never guessed I couldn't add extra characters, I would've assumed it was a string table and an image table ... So far it looks like I'm gonna have to go with RPGmaker ... Thanks for the information

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 05:37:35 pm »
Hey Justin did you ever get the two accessories hack working? There was a screenshot of it on triple-tech.