News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Beginner's NES ROM Table Help  (Read 2097 times)

SadakoMoose

• View Profile
Beginner's NES ROM Table Help
« on: January 24, 2016, 10:32:43 am »
Hello, just joined the website a few days ago to learn how to translate Famicom games and I've run into a snag that isn't really covered in the tutorials I found.
I am attempting to translate an obscure FDS game based on an idol group, Hikaru Genji Roller Panic. Opening the game in FCEUXDS, I used the name table viewer to log the hex entries for all the kana in the game. Luckily there's a "Name Your Character" bit at the beginning which made that very easy. I made what I thought was a table for the game, based on this (http://www.romhacking.net/documents/56/) tutorial and attempted to load it in Thingy 32. Nothing. Do famicom disc system games have different looking tables? Is there something about the formatting I left out?
I checked in Hex Workshop and apparently the entries I logged are correct as I was able to find where the dialogue was contained. 
Thank you for reading.

gorgyrip

• View Profile
Re: Beginner's NES ROM Table Help
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 01:09:39 pm »
Use windhex32. Also make sure to check "view text as unicode".

SadakoMoose

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 04:19:03 pm »
Use windhex32. Also make sure to check "view text as unicode".
Ok, did that, now it's giving me a bunch of Kanji, the same three characters actually.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 04:40:03 pm »
Did you save the TBL in the right format?
WindHex only supports Japanese tables if the Japanese characters are encoded in Shift-JIS format. (despite the "Unicode" text)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

SadakoMoose

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 05:07:44 pm »
Did you save the TBL in the right format?
WindHex only supports Japanese tables if the Japanese characters are encoded in Shift-JIS format. (despite the "Unicode" text)
Ok, now we're making some progress!
However, I am not sure how to save as Shift JIS and then into a .tbl. I have installed NJStar Japanese Word Processor and saved my table as a Shift JIS document. How do I get it into .tbl form? Is there some other way of writing a Shift JIS text document that allows me to save as .tbl?

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 06:27:41 pm »
Save it as Shift-JIS and then rename the .txt at the end to .tbl.

Now you have a table file!

If you don't see ".txt" at the end of your filename, you need to show file extensions (google for how to show file extensions for your operating system for instructions).