News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda: The Legend of Bruce  (Read 4147 times)

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Zelda: The Legend of Bruce
« on: January 21, 2016, 07:51:30 pm »
**I thought about posting this in one of the old topics, but since this is not a continuation (the other is FINAL as far as I'm concerned), but rather a related project or "reboot" I figured it would be best to start a new one.**

After working on another hack for a few months I finally got around to working on the Bruce Campbell vs Ganon - Redux. This is not a bugfix or improvement of the previous versions, this is a new version built from the ground up. I contacted KGP4death (The Lord of Darkness, mwa ha ha ha!) about doing something like this about a year ago and he suggested that I work on an improvement patch for the existing version in case this idea didn't pan out. That patch was released a while ago, I worked on my own ALttP hack for a few months and also spent a little time laying the foundation for the translation of another game.

So what is this all about? I thought BCvsG was awesome (it's my fav ALttP hack) but it has so many problems that I really feel like the brilliant concept and level designs aren't given proper justice by the game as it exists now. Some things were also a bit unfair and could make your game unwinnable. Because of this I wanted to rebuild the game from scratch.

Besides quality concerns, since the game uses the same level layouts as the original ALttP items like the map and compass are totally useless. If someone is playing this, they've already played the stock ALttP. To make things more interesting the map has been turned into a key that unlocks big chests and the Big Key now only works on big doors. All that's left on that front is to turn the map graphic into a key and alter the related dialogue. There will also be a number of other changes. The pendant dungeon phase is skipped and the Dark World dungeons are now in the Light World (where pretty much all of the game will take place). The Light World will be redesigned since it will now have to hold 8 or 9 dungeons instead of 3-4. The story will be mostly as it was, but polished and with only minor changes. The dungeons will be in a slightly different order, one dungeon will have a boss rush rather than one boss, etc.

Anyway, I finally began working on it late friday night. As of now Hyrule Castle is nearly complete and the first two dungeons are finished. At first I thought the dungeons would remain mostly the same but I've actually been making a ton of changes. It should feel fresh to anyone who has played the original ALttP -OR- BCvsG.

Things are going pretty fast now that I have everything planned out and have mastered the abominable Hyrule Magic. *shudder* I expect to have the next 2 or 3 dungeons finished within a week or so.

Stay tuned. 8)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 07:58:57 pm by SunGodPortal »
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
Re: Zelda: The Legend of Bruce
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 03:37:56 pm »
A Redux of Bruce Campbell vs. Ganon? Fuck. YES.

Reading this makes me want to take another crack at spriting out a little Bruce Campbell in YYCHR (I was starting to get some progress on it before I started going crazy doing graphic edits for FF4 and some shit on Starfox).
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Arnachy69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 04:01:04 pm »
Hey Sun i will make the title menu for youre Hack of Bruce good or did you everyting on youre own.? :D

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 07:31:11 pm »
A Redux of Bruce Campbell vs. Ganon? Fuck. YES.

Nice to see that I'm not the only one interested in this. Right now the first 3 dungeons are done except for minor changes and a forth is probably 1/3 of the way finished.

Here's Link/Ash trying to shoot a switch to lower the blue blocks that are obstructing his path near the top. This is the new entrance room of the Turtle Rock dungeon. I think this is much more fun than just riding from one side to the other.

Hey Sun i will make the title menu for youre Hack of Bruce good or did you everyting on youre own.?

I'm actually going to use an unfinished title screen that I began making for the original Bruce Campbell vs Ganon. I didn't finish it because I didn't want to spend any more time on the old version of Bruce Campbell since I was still wanting to make my own starting from a fresh ROM.

Reading this makes me want to take another crack at spriting out a little Bruce Campbell in YYCHR (I was starting to get some progress on it before I started going crazy doing graphic edits for FF4 and some shit on Starfox).

Cool. All that really needs to be changed is the head, but there sure are a lot of frames so that's still quite a bit of work.

For the time being, I myself am focused solely on the dungeons (other than planning for everything else). Now that I have the village set up for testing I'm just going to work on the dungeons until I have them pretty much finished and then work on other aspects like the overworld, dialogue, graphics, title/menu screens. Making the overworld should be fun since I will have to make major changes to fit all of the dungeons in the Light World. There will also be many more puzzle houses. The only dungeon that will be in the Dark World is Ganon's Tower. I'm leaving it there because to effectively bring it to the Light World might require ASM and that just wouldn't be worth the effort. If I get into that sort of thing I'd rather it be something cool or something that can't be worked around.

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure if I mentioned this before but the bosses no longer drop heart containers. You must now find them in the dungeons, puzzle houses and caves. I was also thinking of capping the max amount of hearts at 10.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 08:21:36 pm by SunGodPortal »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 03:10:21 pm »
It's been a while since I've updated. A few months ago I decided to take some time off from this project and recharge. The break was longer than I expected but I'm back at it again. It's difficult to say how far along this hack is percentage wise. As mention before, 3 dungeons are finished and I've begun working on another two.

The latest thing I started working on was a remodel of Link's house. I think I may add some more to this. I like the idea of having a mini-dungeon before you even leave the house.

Spoiler:
Fun fact: That top hole is a trap. If you jump down it you will continue to fall into the same room for eternity (or until you save/quit). If you jump into the hole in the basement you will fall into the top room even though the hole is in the room below. LOL

I'm debating on whether or not I should go ahead and release a demo. Those who have played the original BCvsG but found it to be an unfriendly experience should enjoy this much more (no bugs!) and those who did enjoy the original should expect new challenges.

Stay tuned.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Zelda: Bruce Campbell vs Ganon Remake demo release
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 02:08:16 am »

It's finally here. The long awaited, much anticipated event of the century. Behold, the public release of the Bruce Campbell vs Ganon Remake demo.

3 full dungeons for you to enjoy.

Spoiler:
Note: There is a glitch in the "water" dungeon that causes the water to drain VERY slowly in one spot. This will be fixed before the final release. Just hit the fast forward key if your emu has one. It wouldn't hurt to save state just before draining the water just to be safe. Wouldn't want to lose any progress. There's also one small palette issue in the throne room. Otherwise, have fun!

Bruce Campbell vs Ganon Remake demo

It's ready. Are you? 8)

Patch to be applied to a US ROM with no header.

EDIT: Oh. I almost forgot:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 02:36:23 am by SunGodPortal »

resq

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 03:06:59 am »
ehh looks cool but who the hell is Bruce Campbell?
Come with me if you want to live.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 03:12:59 am »
ehh looks cool but who the hell is Bruce Campbell?

Your worst nightmare.

resq

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 05:19:02 am »
Your worst nightmare.
Sounds serious I don't need any more nightmares.

. . maan is he the guy who played the head scratchy dude in fuggin whatchcall that one film? What is it Evil Dead or something? At first I thought it was like a football player  :-\

So is this supposed to be like Link is Bruce Campbell the actor right not the character he played? I'm still not sure I'm getting this.  :-X
Come with me if you want to live.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 03:25:19 pm »
Sounds serious I don't need any more nightmares.

. . maan is he the guy who played the head scratchy dude in fuggin whatchcall that one film? What is it Evil Dead or something? At first I thought it was like a football player  :-\

So is this supposed to be like Link is Bruce Campbell the actor right not the character he played? I'm still not sure I'm getting this.  :-X

Link is supposed to be Ash from the Evil Dead series (though his graphics haven't been altered yet other than me changing parts of his palette that I didn't like). The story of the original BCvsG was like a sequel to ALttP and Army of Darkness where Ash ends up in Hyrule and must fulfill the role of legendary hero after the usual hero was sent on a quest that he never returned from (though my version may put a twist on that). This is meant to be a remake of BCvsG but I have also been considering changing it to a sequel of BCvsG that is based on My Name Is Bruce (a movie where Bruce plays a parody of himself and is expect to be the hero from the movies when a real monster/killer ghost shows up in a small town).

At the end of the day though, what matters is the dungeons and the dungeons in this hack are top notch. They are fun and very challenging. They are tough, but fair. I can beat them without cheating or using save states.

forks67

Bruce Campbell vs gannon problem
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 12:11:11 pm »
hey

when i picked up zelda and took to the bookcase room to move the bookcase in the castle

i could not move the bookcase out of the away at all

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce Campbell vs gannon problem
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 06:13:43 pm »
This sounds like it belongs in the Gaming Discussion (or at the very least, in one of the Bruce Campbell threads).

Either way, which version are you playing? Which ROM did you use?

I wasn't the original author, though I have worked on the current versions of this game, so I may be able to help.
I've never ran into this problem with any version of this game though.

forks67

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 08:06:56 am »
hey

i solved the bookcase moving problem on my own

but when link goes into deep water to bring the princess to the senarcry link goes through a wall

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 02:34:46 pm »
Again, which version are you playing? The 1.1, 1.5, demo? If it's anything but the demo of the remake, expect it to be riddled with bugs.

Bruce Campbell vs Ganon Remake demo <--- new demo, vast improvement

forks67

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 02:45:41 pm »
hey

i am playing the v 1.5 bruce campbell vs gannon game with that deep water bug on it

and where do i find hookshot for the remake version

and where does the demo end at
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 03:49:36 pm by forks67 »

forks67

Bruce Campbell vs gannon hookshot
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2016, 04:22:08 pm »
where can find the hookshot in the remake
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 04:34:43 pm by forks67 »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 05:36:47 pm »
hey

i am playing the v 1.5 bruce campbell vs gannon game with that deep water bug on it

and where do i find hookshot for the remake version

Yeah, that's something I didn't fix with the 1.5 because it was mainly focused on fixing the main part of the "Bug World" problem. There were also some changes that I may have left in by accident (increased boss HP) because I had forgotten that KGP had tweaked them. That part was supposed to be in a seperate "hard mode" sort of patch.

You get to play Hyrule Castle (which has been extended), the first two crystal dungeons and I went ahead and threw the unfinished dungeons in there as a bonus. The only major bug I know that exists in this version is that one of the rooms where the water has to drain, it drains VERY slow. You will need to hit fast forward on your emu or if you are playing on a real console you may have to just let it sit for a few mins. That will def be fixed later. The finished product will NOT be a buggy mess like the original Bruce Campbell game.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce Campbell vs gannon hookshot
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2016, 05:37:08 pm »
In the basement of Link's house.

forks67

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 05:39:58 pm »
hey

is the deepwater bug fixed in the remake version

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 07:38:28 pm »
First of all, thanks for playing. I have received next to no feedback on the demo.

That room has pits/holes in the new version instead of water. So, no more falling and becoming trapped in the background. As far as I know the only time something like this should be an issue in the demo is in the 2 unfinished dungeons I added as bonuses.

I wanted to keep the deep water but I was unable to keep that bug free, so I changed it to pits instead.

I've worked very hard to keep this new version as bug free as possible and when it comes to the final release there will be NO major bugs. The bugs were one of the things that defined the original and I think that kept a lot of people from playing what was for the most part and excellent game.

Note for anyone who has not played the new demo: There have been a ton of changes to the dungeons. If something was pointless, unfair or too close to the vanilla version I changed it. I want this version to feel as fresh as possible and to do the concept behind the original BCvsG it's proper justice.