News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Anyone feel the PS1 graphics had it's charm?  (Read 5384 times)

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
Re: Anyone feel the PS1 graphics had it's charm?
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2016, 02:28:57 pm »
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Tomba! yet.  :) Rediculous, colorful and fun, I think it's aged quite well over the years.

Hell, I still enjoy the look and feel of older PS1 games like Bushido Blade 1 & 2 and the Saga Frontier games (though I liked SF1 moreso than SF2). Spyro and Crash Bandicoot have aged pretty damn well imo as well (off topic: try playing Spyro or Crash Bandicoot on ePSXe with the Cartoon or Storybook filters: They look fucking AMAZING)

Thoguh I gotta say there were a fair number of games that were bum fugly even back then (I'm looking at you, Nightmare Creatures!) or had horrible, tank walking controls (basically every survival horror game).
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2016, 02:32:54 pm »
Yamero~~!

siryoink

• View Profile
    • Klepto Software
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 09:48:44 am »
The PS1 has not aged well.  Blocky / washed out 3D polys & textures seem to render some of those old games unplayable to me, even on my old crt.  3D, in general, does not age well like a sprite-based game, but there's an early 3D era around 95-98 where most games just look bad now.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 03:33:01 pm »
The PS1 has not aged well.  Blocky / washed out 3D polys & textures seem to render some of those old games unplayable to me, even on my old crt.  3D, in general, does not age well like a sprite-based game, but there's an early 3D era around 95-98 where most games just look bad now.

I agree. There are next to no 3D games from that early, clumsy era that did not look like barf then (I hated it) and now.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...