News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Pokemon Fire Red - Pashto translation  (Read 1062 times)

Jamlpr

• View Profile
Pokemon Fire Red - Pashto translation
« on: March 02, 2016, 01:32:39 pm »
Hello!

First of all I am new to the board and to rom hacking completely! I have a little knowledge of rom hacking from reading through the "Getting Started" and what not.

My question is pertaining to the title. I would like to translate Pokemon: Fire Red in to the Pashto language. It is very similar to the Arabic alphabet with a few more letters (20 more!). Is there anyway for me to do this? To insert the Pashto alphabet in to a Pokemon rom? I saw an incomplete (but very well done) Arabic translation of Pokemon Ruby, so I was hoping for an opportunity to do the same, but Pashto!

Thank you,

Chris
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 01:49:39 pm by Jamlpr »

VicVergil

• View Profile
Re: Pokemon Fire Red - Pashto translation
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 10:30:41 pm »
Some tutorials for translating stuff to Arabic (written in Arabic obviously, but you might want to try using a machine translator to make sense of it):
http://www.wumd.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=12087399cb69a851ce3cbe5a8efa81c3&f=6
https://web.facebook.com/groups/vgarab123/search/?query=tuto (Facebook page unfortunately)

On RHDN:
Tool which converts Arabic-derived scripts to ASCII/hex to be used with a custom font - Link
Fonts - 1, 2, 3. There's also that Facebook page too.

If I'm not mistaken, the extra letters in addition to the base Arabic script shouldn't be much of a problem - you simply add them to your font and the configuration of the text converting tools.
But the zero width space (preventing some letters from being connected, afaik it's not in Arabic but is in all Arabic-derived scripts) might be more of a problem, and you'd need to put a real space and then delete it manually after the converting? I'd suggest contacting the Arabic fan-translators in that Facebook page so that they update that tool with this feature.

Maybe contacting the translator who did Captain Tsubasa II in Persian could help you too.