News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Questions regarding IPS patching  (Read 1117 times)

John Enigma

• View Profile
Questions regarding IPS patching
« on: December 23, 2015, 09:53:51 am »
Hello everyone. My name is John Enigma, and I'm here to ask a question regarding IPS patching.

Is it possible or not to install more than one patch in a ROM game?

I ask this question because I want to use three patches for The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX game: Link's Awakening Restoration (by Artemis251), Link's Awakening DX Font Improvement (by Tzepish), and the Photo Album Translation (by vince94). I want to do the same for some of the patches for the Final Fantasy IV Advance game, but I fear that if I do it, the game becomes unplayable.

So like I said before: is it possible to install more than one patch in a game? If not, then what do I need to do to install all those patches that I want to install? (Do I need to expand the ROM using a tool?, Do I need to add a header or remove a header?, etc.)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Questions regarding IPS patching
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 10:04:05 am »
You can install as many patches as you want for a game.
It doesn't mean they'll all work together (ie they could be overwriting the same data)

As for expanding ROMs, headers, etc. it depends on what each individual patch wants (and again, don't be too surprised if they cause conflict errors when applied together).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 11:31:00 am »
The IPS format in particular does not use checksums, allowing you to patch anything with anything.

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 02:15:07 pm »
Without examining the patches (as a hacker) you cannot confirm that they work together. (except by trial-and-error, but that isn't practical for a guarantee)

You can confirm that they are in conflict though: if you get different file checksums for the end result by changing the patching order, then they are incompatible. (because they write over each other then)