News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night overrated?  (Read 13163 times)

Timaeus

• Noel <3
    • View Profile
Re: Is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night overrated?
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2015, 06:55:47 am »
 I like the inverted castle . When you finally find a way to avoid the bad ending , the last thing that you will expect is getting through the entirely castle upside down.I like that.

About the musics,you´re right . There´s very few ones compared to the normal castle , BUT at least they are good to hear and they combine perfectly with the moment that you are in the game,the second half of it.I personally prefer the inverted castle musics over the original musics,especially Catacombs and the Chapel.

About the inverted castle enemies , is like a more and less thing . One half of then are interesting and cool but the other half is shit . This can be applied to the bosses as well.Some are cool,like Galamoth and the Trevor Sypha and Grant battle,but some others like The Creature and that ugly chain boss of the laboratory are shit.

So overall , the both castles

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2015, 09:26:40 am »
I'm guessing that meant that they didn't have as much storage area for sound samples because it was taken up by graphics tiles.
After spending a very large part of the ROM to store two uncompressed streamed songs ? Don't be ridiculous. Doing all the soundtrack in standard synth quality would have taken much less ROM overall.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2015, 02:43:40 am »
You know, I still like these games but I'm just now realizing that I no longer like this whole Metroidvania format as much as I used to. Here's how these games work:

-wander around aimlessly collecting power-ups
-backtrack to places you previously could not access after acquiring more power-ups
-solve a puzzle every so often
-stumble upon a boss battle every so often for an additional power-up
-continue to wander around repeating the previous steps until you eventually stumble into a Dracula battle
-the game ends

So there. Most of the game is wandering around and then backtracking (over-simplified, I know).

The gameplay isn't as focused and the level design isn't as fun or challenging as traditional Castlevanias. I much prefer Rondo of Blood (the original, I've never played the 2.5D remake and won't, sorry) and Legacy of Darkness.

The two aforementioned games should have set new standards for the series, but instead, the following 2D games tried to imitate Super Metroid (producing some fairly enjoyable games) and the following 3D games became imitations of a different game each time (producing questionable and ultimately unsatisfying results each time).

As much as the original format was recycled again and again (with only minor changes) it blows my mind that they suddenly dropped it in favor of taking other people's formats and apply a Castlevania aesthetic to it. I'm even more baffled considering that before they jumped their own ship they were actually making huge expansions to the original format of gameplay. They abandoned their own style just as they were beginning to perfect it. WTF?

*sigh*

End rant. :P

After spending a very large part of the ROM to store two uncompressed streamed songs ? Don't be ridiculous. Doing all the soundtrack in standard synth quality would have taken much less ROM overall.

I was just makin' a guess based on some of the hearsay I read once upon a time. I know very little about the GBA's internal workings.

I like the inverted castle . When you finally find a way to avoid the bad ending , the last thing that you will expect is getting through the entirely castle upside down.I like that.

About the musics,you´re right . There´s very few ones compared to the normal castle , BUT at least they are good to hear and they combine perfectly with the moment that you are in the game,the second half of it.I personally prefer the inverted castle musics over the original musics,especially Catacombs and the Chapel.

While the inverted castle does bore me a little I do like the atmosphere and some of the enemies (like those witches that are constantly putting up shields and attacking you with cats) are rather fun and challenging.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2015, 06:49:08 am »
Yeah, linear and concise is underrated nowadays.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

SC

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2016, 01:52:29 pm »
For me it feels overrated and kind of obsolete compared to the Nintendo DS entries.

Dawn of Sorrow
Just an evolved form of SotN & AoS, new screen touch gimmick, better level design overall.
Nice music overall.

Portrait of Ruin
A new iteration on the level design format: independent different worlds linked to
by the main castle and with many small visual and/or interactive details (take the Victorian level interior as example), very cool. :thumbsup:
New two character setup: you play with two different characters "at the same time" with some different skills each. Cool but gimmicky.
Nice music overall.

Order of Ecclesia
A new iteration on the level design format trying to be a mix of "ancient" and "new" Castlevanias.
Only one character again but with new ability gimmick.
Some good music tracks among many mediocre ones, and weird backtracking choice on audio quality. :-\

For me at least DoS and PoR are already better than SotN in gameplay and level design.
Still, SotN is superior in terms of audio quality (obviously) and musical composition to the point I can some times actually enjoy the OST out of context.

If you want some light insight into the development of SotN, see an interview here: http://shmuplations.com/symphony/

Unrelated: then later came Lords of Shadow (the first one, 2010), which was kind of an "old style" linear Castlevania mixed in
with 3D and other gameplay gimmicks (like the magic system) and a good, mostly ambient style OST.
Best 3D game in the series for me. I don't understand why some people hate it. :huh:

Isao Kronos

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2016, 11:01:33 pm »
i unironically enjoy the ps2 castlevanias but honestly haven't played them in a while and never finished them because tons of games to play when I got them
will hackrom for Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2016, 11:18:31 pm »
Nope.  Still great.  Sometimes familiarity breeds contempt, though.  We lose sight of its greatness.  :)
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

megavolt

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2016, 01:26:57 am »
^If something is genuinely great, familiarity should not breed contempt.  Besides, that expression is more do with with people than with artistic endeavors.  If anything, time tends to help people to appreciate true classics even more.

This is my first post here, but yes, I also think SOTN is overrated.  And overrated doesn't mean it isn't good or even excellent, but it does mean that its fans tend to prop it up as a peerless work of 2D sidescrolling gameplay when I don't believe that it is.  It's not better than Super Metroid and there are a few other 2D action/platformer titles that I also think are better.  However, SOTN is actually very good.  It's just that you're spot on about the laziness of design that is the inverted castle and I also feel like the level design in general is a bit sparse and lacking in comparison to the dense level design of a top shelf masterpiece like Super Metroid.  Am I picking nits?  Yes, but that's what you have to do when you're judging something by the highest of standards.  Still, if SOTN is not the 10/10 masterpiece its fans claim to be but more like a 9/10 game that is fun to play and worth revisiting a few times, that's pretty good.  I'm just not on board with declaring it the unrivaled best Castlevania game and much less the best 2D sidescroller ever.  It's probably still the best Metroidvania because of its presentation, though I do think the portable titles had better design in some ways.  Somebody mentioned FF7 and I feel similarly about that one.  Good game but overrated by the people who think that it was so far ahead of everything that came before it (or that everything which comes after should seek to emulate it).  And usually those same people haven't actually played too much of what came before it beyond a few other Squaresoft titles.

As for the control complaint brought up regarding Super Metroid, the only thing I ever found tricky about it was the wall jump.  For whatever reason it works better for me when I hold the controller upside-down.  Otherwise I played it recently and I still have no obvious complaints though I will say that the one thing SOTN does a bit better is indeed the controls.  They're just so silky smooth in SOTN.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2016, 02:29:41 am »
Hmm. Didn't notice the last handful of comments. Otherwise I would have returned sooner.

i unironically enjoy the ps2 castlevanias but honestly haven't played them in a while and never finished them because tons of games to play when I got them

I enjoy Lament of Innocence but (here it comes again) I think it pales in comparison to Legacy of Darkness, as does every other 3D Castlevania I've played. Legacy of Darkness is the real deal. That is what a 3D Castlevania is supposed to be like. I haven't played Lords of Shadow though. I've only listened to my friend Jimmy tear it apart. We have pretty much the same stance on Castlevania so I knew I probably wouldn't like it. I'll give it a chance if it falls into my lap some day.

As for the control complaint brought up regarding Super Metroid, the only thing I ever found tricky about it was the wall jump.  For whatever reason it works better for me when I hold the controller upside-down.

I was just thinking that the controls would be about 10 times better if "run" could be toggled. I run the majority of the time. If I didn't have to hold that button down the whole time everything would probably be perfect. Still one of the greatest games ever though.

And I just remembered that there is a hack that does allow running to be toggled. Sweet! :D

Otherwise I played it recently and I still have no obvious complaints though I will say that the one thing SOTN does a bit better is indeed the controls.  They're just so silky smooth in SOTN.

That's exactly the way I would describe them, even with what is probably the least favorite of any first party d-pad I have used (that of the Playstation).

SpRoUt

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2016, 02:37:40 am »
It gets boring but still the best castlevania of all the games. I think. Lol boss:Fuck it!  :D

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2016, 03:03:30 am »
It gets boring but still the best castlevania of all the games.

Nope.

The best Castlevania and oddly, the one that no one seems to have played.

EDIT: Before anyone adds confusion to this:
Castlevania 64 and Legacy of Darkness are not the same game. Castlevania 64 is the unfinished version of Legacy of Darkness that has terrible controls, terrible camera, 2 fewer characters, one less form of Dracula, a good number of unfair challenges (with few save-points), a few less levels and the levels that reoccur between the two games range from only slightly different (The Villa) to completely different (Forest of Silence, Tower of Sorcery). Legacy of Darkness has a fucking werewolf and another character that has a gun whose version of the game plays totally different from everyone else's. Castlevania 64 is what Konami shit out in time for Christmas. Then they realized how bad they fucked up and finished the game and called it Legacy of Darkness. That game rules.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 03:15:37 am by SunGodPortal »

johnLight

• video games dud....
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2016, 04:04:49 am »
 Is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night overrated ?

well no for me.
As an old player in his 40ies, I've played many castelvania (I started on the NES, of course, like many players...)
Symphony of the Night (SOTN) was really the termination of the licence... at this period of time .
Like a good movie, You have some vivid memories because of the balance of the game : good graphics (at that time, of course..), good story, VERY good music, good gameplay, HIGH re playability ..

I still have memories of Super Castlevania IV...  I'm a retro player, but believe it or not, the colours set is now "awful" to watch on a THV HD....

Well, now we are 2016... I have finished Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate and I really enjoyed those  sequels..
I think we are all marked by a specific game.. in our childhood ...

SOTN is a good memory and I think I will - again - try to finish it.
It's also a good memory, because I played this game in an age without success achievements of any kind ...
You were competing against .. you ... simply !

I'm looking forward to the new game made by the Japanese producer Koji Igarashi of castelvania (since SOTH...)  Bloodstained ritual of the night..
A cousin of castevania, but with a nice touch....