News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Graphics Mods for the Steam versions of FF5 and 6?  (Read 10426 times)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Graphics Mods for the Steam versions of FF5 and 6?
« on: December 17, 2015, 12:52:09 am »
So the big news is that FF6 is on Steam this week, and there's no shortage of people complaining about the graphics, just like they did for FF4 and FF5.  For good reason:
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/09/26/everything-wrong-with-the-graphics-in-this-final-fantasy-v-screenshot/

FF4 and FF5 have FF5 has been out for a while now, but I can't seem to find any news of someone making a graphics mod.  Is this fundamentally impossible for some reason, or is someone hard at work on it somewhere?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:14:07 am by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics Mods for the Steam versions of FF4, 5, and 6?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 12:54:34 am »
Holy shit. That looks so awful. They should be ashamed of themselves for desecrating these games in such a fashion.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 01:02:49 am by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 01:40:17 am »
FF4 is a port of a DS game basically so it's gonna look like shit. FF5 and 6 have no excuse. They were on far more powerful hardware.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 02:10:32 am »
More thoughtful commentary here:
http://www.fortressofdoors.com/doing-an-hd-remake-the-right-way/

I just can't get over how bad that looks. It's like they out-sourced the work to a high school art class, though calling it amatuer would probably be too kind. It supposed to be a fucking Square title. There are free indie games that look better than that trash. It supposed to be a fucking Square title.

I hope somebody lost their job over this.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 04:04:49 am »
Holy shit. That looks so awful. They should be ashamed of themselves for desecrating these games in such a fashion.
+1

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 08:42:36 am »
I wrote a long ass message on how bad these remakes look... But then, before posting, I found this:

http://postimg.org/image/gaes1m6bn/

And then I erased my message. Fuck it.
These poor excuses for remakes doesn't deserve so many words talking about them. If the developers didn't put any effort, why would I.

You have to try as hard as you can to make something look this bad.
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 09:28:11 am »
Typical. A productive subject line and nothing but complaining about the problem, rather than seeking a solution.

Everybody wants to be a critic but nobody wants to do the engineering necessary to fix the problem.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 10:45:40 am »
There is no reason to fix this when there are perfectly good versions out there to be played and maybe even cheaper.
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 11:13:22 am »
FF4 is a port of a DS game basically so it's gonna look like shit.
Acht!  I knew I was forgetting something.  Might as well edit the subject line.

Everybody wants to be a critic but nobody wants to do the engineering necessary to fix the problem.
The link above suggests that the FFV sprites should be editable – it's just going to be long and excruciating to do.  Of course, that hasn't proved to be an insurmountable barrier in the past.

There is no reason to fix this when there are perfectly good versions out there to be played and maybe even cheaper.
I suppose I should just patch up the GBA version and fire it up on my Game Boy Player.

MegaManJuno

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics Mods for the Steam versions of FF5 and 6?
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 11:36:17 am »
Eh... old news, being this this is just a port of a port from the cell phone release, which looked just as bad.

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 12:13:20 pm »
I suppose I should just patch up the GBA version and fire it up on my Game Boy Player.

Well, that's up to you of course. I said that because in this particular case there is no reason for going through weeks or months of work when there is already other versions that doesn't hold such issues.  But you can argue that that's how I see it because these ports look so incredibly lazy to me that I have no desire to play them.

I think is great to try to fix problems in games to make them more fun/better, but when you have to do more work than the original developers, I feel something is wrong.

I really don't know how much time could it take for Krysan Thyme to make such modifications, but even then at least for me it seems too much work for such little pay-off. This is more complicated/time consuming than your usual graphic hack, and these ports have more issues than just the sprites. I wish him/her the best.

About the FF4DS port, honestly, compared to the others, that one seems okay... Although pretty much anything would look okay by comparison, lol.

If you end up playing the GBA version, take a look at the hacks here. There are a few that could make that version a better/more fun option, depending of what you want.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 02:48:10 pm »
Typical. A productive subject line and nothing but complaining about the problem, rather than seeking a solution.

These versions don't deserved to be fixed. They're a disgrace and a symbol of how little respect companies have for the consumer. They should fester as they are for all eternity.

EDIT: I don't mean to discourage anyone if they actually want to complete such a project, but this sort of work from a major company is a major slap in the face. I can't help but be pissed and speak my mind about it. There's no good reason why they couldn't have done better and we deserve better. This is a disgrace.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 02:59:42 pm by SunGodPortal »

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 02:51:45 pm »

Of course not. Why should we bother to fix Square's shit when they can't be bothered themselves and still have the gall to charge us $15 a pop for awful work?

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 03:09:18 pm »
All I'm saying is the subject line is misleading.

This thread isn't about creating anything, just complaints.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 03:29:25 pm »
All I'm saying is the subject line is misleading.

This thread isn't about creating anything, just complaints.

Correction: That's what it turned into. It appears to have started out with the intention of modding so technically it's not misleading. :P

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 03:54:02 pm »
You have a point, as this thread is not very productive, and it's mostly negative, but seeing the quality of their work, it's not like the people behind these things wanted to do anything worthwhile neither...

if they didn't care, I think it's fair to ask, why would we?

I mean, i'm sorry if I sound like a grandpa here, but Squaresoft did better in the past, look no further than the Wonder Swan Color ports of early FF games or SaGa games. You could see effort in them. The GBA games, while some having issues (Like NTSC-U FF4) still were better than these ports, most of the time with extra content.

Damn, in FF4 Advance's case you could play with the other characters. Maybe a novelty, but a nice one.

...I guess we could say that Jorpho's question was somewhat answered. There is little to no attempt to hack/fix this things because there's really no interest for them.

At least not as much as with the original versions, or some of the (Better) ports.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 06:00:58 pm »
I mean, i'm sorry if I sound like a grandpa here, but Squaresoft did better in the past
You're stating the obvious here. It went downhill since the day Squaresoft merged with Enix, and maybe a little before that, considering FF10 is a bit lacking compared to it's predecessors. Today Square/Square Enix spent more time being a shitty company (1983-1986 ; 2002 - 2015, 16 years) than being an awesome one (1987-2001, 14 years). Sad but true.

I still bothered to fix the GBA sound, even though I personally feel the GBA re-release are a bit lame and that the SNES version is superior. It's hard to say why exactly, it's probably to prove what could have been done technically if those responsible of the GBA port were competent, in order to ridiculize them even more.

Most reviews said things  like "The GBA had inferior hardware and could not replicate the awasome soundtrack of the SNES version" : I'm just proving this is (technically) wrong.

look no further than the Wonder Swan Color ports of early FF games or SaGa games. You could see effort in them. The GBA games, while some having issues (Like NTSC-U FF4) still were better than these ports, most of the time with extra content.
All those ports were done by TOSE and Square just pasted their logo at the finished product. You forgot to mention how shitty the PSX port of FF4 and FF5, FF6 and CT was. Effort was put in the cinematics, but they were obviously in a style so different than FF7-8-9's ones that it really slapped to the eyes that not the same people were behind the games. Other than cinematic, there was basically no effort done to these ports.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 06:26:17 pm »
I'm curious, are there any gameplay changes to these versions? Was the music beefed up any?

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 09:35:45 pm »
FF4's PSX port... is actually two ports. The original Japanese one was indeed utter shit. The one that the U.S. got was actually pretty decent.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016