News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [SNES] Super Famicom Wars Translation  (Read 21452 times)

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
[SNES] Super Famicom Wars Translation
« on: December 14, 2015, 02:39:09 am »
After doing some digging on this topic, it appears that no one is currently working on this game.

I've reverse-engineered the decompression routine this past weekend and can now reliably extract graphical assets from the game. I'll work on the re-compression routine in my spare time this week and hopefully I'll have something to show ya'll by the end of the week. :)

Like all of my work, I will eventually be releasing the source code for any tools I make during this process.

Here is a preview of the work I've done so far:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 02:56:51 am by DackR »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: [SNES] Super Famicom Wars Translation
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 02:59:42 pm »
Cool that someone is working on this. I'm guessing the only reason it hasn't been done yet is because there's a variant for the GBA(?). I'd rather play a SNES version though.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 09:38:43 pm »
If you get this one fully done, you'll deserve my full respect (well, you'll get it when I play at last the Marvelous translated game  :thumbsup: )

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 02:00:23 am »
Cool that someone is working on this. I'm guessing the only reason it hasn't been done yet is because there's a variant for the GBA(?). I'd rather play a SNES version though.

I've been wanting someone to work on it for years as well. :) I've only played the original Famicom Wars and the first Advance Wars games (and sfc wars, just not in English), but I enjoy strategy games quite a bit.

If you get this one fully done, you'll deserve my full respect (well, you'll get it when I play at last the Marvelous translated game  :thumbsup: )

Hopefully Marvelous lives up to your expectations. It's been a labor of love for sure. I plan on making a future update to implement VWF, but I released it as is because I had already optimized the text to fit the current space. Thanks for the kind words.

Quick update: The compression routine is nearly finished. I'm working on optimizations at the moment. I'm trying to get the algorithm to output a compression quality very similar if not better than the original. I find it useful to make direct comparisons between the current compressed data and the data output by my code. I may post some details later if I feel like talking through it.

12/24/2015: Been working on this a bit more this week. For the most part, it's complete, but the compressed size of my test file is yet to match the existing compressed data. Looking for inspiration... Let me know if you've got any.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 05:47:26 pm by DackR »

visualdefenition

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 01:32:03 pm »
You may want to hit up DDSTranslation here in the forums on this game. He worked on the game in the past and made some headway. He might be a good resource. Good luck on this. It would be awesome to finally have this in English. :woot!:

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 07:42:32 pm »
12/24/2015: Been working on this a bit more this week. For the most part, it's complete, but the compressed size of my test file is yet to match the existing compressed data. Looking for inspiration... Let me know if you've got any.
What about changing the pointer to the compressed graphics and move those graphics to a free area in the ROM?
You can always expand the ROM if you run out of space.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 01:56:53 pm by ShadowOne333 »

Xenesis

• Syogun Changer
    • View Profile
    • Wars World News
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 07:08:02 am »
Glad to see things are happening.

Super Famicom Wars tends to be a hilarious translator's newbie-trap for whatever reason, it'd be nice to see an actual translation for once.

You going to match it to the Advance Wars translations for units/maps/names/etc?

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 12:34:03 pm »
You may want to hit up DDSTranslation here in the forums on this game. He worked on the game in the past and made some headway. He might be a good resource. Good luck on this. It would be awesome to finally have this in English. :woot!:
I've sent a PM to see if they would be interested in contributing in some way. I don't mind collaboration in the least. :)

What about changing the pointer to the compressed graphics and move those graphics to a fee area in the ROM?
You can always expand the ROM if you run out of space.
Indeed, this will likely be necessary in the end, and I have had to do this on other projects. My focus on the compression is to make sure my changes take as little additional space as possible. The good news is that I've got a pretty good compression routine worked out now. I still need to do some additional testing, but it might be a couple weeks before I circle back to this.

Super Famicom Wars tends to be a hilarious translator's newbie-trap for whatever reason, it'd be nice to see an actual translation for once.
lol... It's a trap all right. I'll try to make regular updates and be open about my progress.

You going to match it to the Advance Wars translations for units/maps/names/etc?
This is actually not a bad idea. I'll do some comparisons and try to be as consistent as possible with the games that saw official localization.

gc8tech

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 12:21:49 am »
I did actually start working on this. BUT i got stuck on the TXT compression.

I'm glad some one has gotten through this :-)

D.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 09:40:31 am »
Suggestion for a more accurate title screen:

No image editing involed, it's an actual 3D model, gives better control over perspective effects.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 10:41:23 am »
I think that "SUPER FAMICOM" needs to be turned a little more towards the camera. It's barely readable as it is, probably even less so converted to tile data.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 12:05:25 pm »
Slightly reworked to take care of distant glyphs:

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 04:39:54 pm »
I actually prefer the logo shown off in the top post. While this is more accurate from a depth perspective and from the positioning of the letters, it loses a lot of the chunkiness of the original design.

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 05:47:08 pm »
Thanks for the examples Gemini! I've actually made a few changes since the initial image.

How about this one:

I'm still not entirely happy with it, but it's getting closer. :)

This was made in Adobe Illustrator using the 3D Extrusion tool and then edited in Photoshop.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 06:14:37 pm »
Extrude is pretty much what I abused as well on C4D. Now you only need somebody to turn that into pixel art with a shading similar to the original and all those nice cracks.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 06:27:11 pm »

I like this best so far.

Honestly, I would prefer to keep the original title logo but simply add a subtitle near the bottom (why don't people ever do this?) but I may be in the minority here.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 06:41:04 pm by SunGodPortal »

Xenesis

• Syogun Changer
    • View Profile
    • Wars World News
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 11:26:22 pm »
Honestly, I would prefer to keep the original title logo but simply add a subtitle near the bottom (why don't people ever do this?) but I may be in the minority here.

Honestly? Because Japanese games often have their name subtitled in English anyway (or vice versa where the name graphic is in English and subtitled in katakana/hiragana) and as such it looks untranslated/lazy. Unless you're one of the people who can read Japanese anyway, it's wasting a bunch of screen space for something you can't read.

But I do like that particular logo version anyway. Although a slightly less steep angle might look a bit better.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 11:48:18 pm »
Honestly? Because Japanese games often have their name subtitled in English anyway (or vice versa where the name graphic is in English and subtitled in katakana/hiragana) and as such it looks untranslated/lazy. Unless you're one of the people who can read Japanese anyway, it's wasting a bunch of screen space for something you can't read.

But the Japanese logos almost always look better whether I can read them or not. I also prefer to not have 100% of a game's Japanese origins bleached out just because some people have no appreciation for that sort of thing. And I disagree about a simple subtitle looking lazy, but that's my opinion. If you want to see lazy, look at some NES title screen and box art localizations/butchering. :D

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 01:21:52 am »
But the Japanese logos almost always look better whether I can read them or not. I also prefer to not have 100% of a game's Japanese origins bleached out just because some people have no appreciation for that sort of thing. And I disagree about a simple subtitle looking lazy, but that's my opinion. If you want to see lazy, look at some NES title screen and box art localizations/butchering. :D
Not to get too far off topic, but I think both you and Xenesis have some valid points. I'm more of the opinion that title reworking should be approached on a case-by-case basis. For example: If the game has a distinctly "Japanese Feel", and/or heavily references Japanese history, places, or culture then it's probably a good idea to think about keeping the original logo and subtitling it. One really good example of an official localization utilizing this layout this is the title for the Onimusha series. I'm sure there many examples of this.

My thinking in the case of Super Famicom Wars is that I should try to approach title localization similar to how a localization team from the 90's might have. And then-- with that in mind, give it a more modern feel. I may add a Japanese subtitle, however. ;)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 01:35:40 am »
I'm in agreement that it only makes sense to keep Japanese logos in a localization if the game is Japanese-themed.

Though now that I think about it, I wonder what they would've called the game if they localized it officially?
We know Advance Wars is the official western series names (though probably because the GBA version was the first to get official localization, although on the DS, Nintendo of Japan did decide to revert the series title to Famicom Wars).
If one wanted to go super-localization, I'd say Super Nintendo Wars but there's probably better.

(though yes I'd still call it Super Famicom Wars since I've been calling it that since I heard of it in like 2000)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018