News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [GBA] Magical Vacation English Translation  (Read 62286 times)

VicVergil

• View Profile
Re: [GBA] Magical Vacation English Translation
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2016, 10:18:32 am »
Just use mGBA.

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2016, 01:56:26 pm »
I was using VBA-M to emulate this game and so far it was playing nice without any noticiable glitch, but the version of the emu I'm using (I think it's the latest one) runs very buggy in my computer. It tends to freeze or simply close randomly when I switch the emu from/to fullscreen or load a savestate. I'm using a 32bit Windows 7 because of RAM limitations (only 2GB max available on that motherboard). I'll give mGBa a try, I hope it's compatible with 32bit OS (some emu developers are starting to drop support for it).

June 10, 2016, 02:00:11 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hello ! I'm on a phone and I don't know how to play the game. I download it but when I try to launch it with my emulator, it says "unrecognised GBA file", please help me, I want to play this game so badly !

Are you sure it's the rom what you're loading in the emu? It wouldn't be the first time someone tries to run directly the patch in a gba emulator. Also, which emulator are you using? For which platform?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 02:23:32 pm by aqualung »

Axiphel

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2016, 04:20:15 pm »
Are you sure it's the rom what you're loading in the emu? It wouldn't be the first time someone tries to run directly the patch in a gba emulator. Also, which emulator are you using? For which platform?

Sounds like he's trying to load the .bps file instead of a patched .gba file. lol

Zerael

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2016, 08:12:20 pm »
Ive only ran into one real game breaking bug so far

Talking to this NPC softlocks the game
http://imgur.com/YmYPccj
I get same issue when I first met Sesame in Dark Realm.
I find a way to "skip" this problem.
Do not patch through a program your jap rom. Just load jap rom with your mGBA (if you use another emulator, then, I suggest you save a gamesharksnapshot of your game.)
After that loading jap rom, load snapshot, load game, start a dialogue when this problem occurs, skip a bad replies by pressing "A" key. THEN SAVE STATE.
Then load bps patch thorugh "File -> Load Patch", and game will reset with patch applied. So, just load savestate that you used. Replies will be in jap, BUT DONT WORRY, just press "A" to skip jap replie, and VOILA! next reply will be at english!
Well, atleast this worked for me.
Now you can keep playing at mGBA or return to your previous emulator (vba for me) and\or patched rom, like myself.
And, you always can repeat this if you meet this problem again. And you can keep playing.

PS. Sorry if I wasnt clear. I have bad grammar D:

Malictory

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2016, 12:41:57 am »
Ive only ran into one real game breaking bug so far

Talking to this NPC softlocks the game
http://imgur.com/YmYPccj

To add to this, One of the Water People in May Village(One that is south of the table) will soft lock the game if you have blueberry in your party!
And nice find!

xhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2016, 01:21:56 am »
mGBA seems to lock up quite frequently. Three freezes and I am still on the beach in the beginning. Two were during dialogue boxes so I wondered of it was the patch but the last one I was simply walking around when it happened, so I'm not so sure it has to do with the patch as much as the game.

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2016, 03:32:42 am »
For those playing on mGBA: SAVE OFTEN!  ;) If the game freezes, just reset.

For those having issue in VBA with the start screen not showing the start menu: check the SAVE type  ;) (it must be Automatic and Flash 64 Kb)

Alkarl

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2016, 03:50:27 am »
For those having issue in VBA with the start screen not showing the start menu: check the SAVE type  ;) (it must be Automatic and Flash 64 Kb)

That fixed my issue, thanks for the information.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 04:27:36 am by Alkarl »

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2016, 06:26:37 am »
I'm having the same issues with mGBA, random freezes and stuff. VBA-M runs fairly buggy as well. I think my last resort is that VBA you're talking about. Is it Visual Boy Advance? I have old versions of that emu, such as 1.7.2 and, albeit it runs Magical Vacation, the music sounds horribly wrong.

According to wikipedia, the last version seems to be 1.8.0 Beta 3 and it's 10 years old. Is that the version you're using?

Alkarl

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2016, 06:32:27 am »
I'm having the same issues with mGBA, random freezes and stuff. VBA-M runs fairly buggy as well. I think my last resort is that VBA you're talking about. Is it Visual Boy Advance? I have old versions of that emu, such as 1.7.2 and, albeit it runs Magical Vacation, the music sounds horribly wrong.

According to wikipedia, the last version seems to be 1.8.0 Beta 3 and it's 10 years old. Is that the version you're using?

Don't know if you're asking me or mikeprado30, but I'm using VBA-M SVN 1229 and I'm not encountering any audio bugs with it.

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2016, 07:59:28 am »
Don't know if you're asking me or mikeprado30, but I'm using VBA-M SVN 1229 and I'm not encountering any audio bugs with it.

Ah, it was just a general question, aimed at anyone willing to reply:) I'm trying vba 1.8.0 beta 3 and, while the sound is awful,  at least i'm not having the freezes and crashes I was enduring with vba-m ang mgba.

Perhaps I'll try that specific version you've mentioned, (svn 1229) in case it's more stable.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 08:12:32 am by aqualung »

Asaki

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2016, 11:19:21 am »
Ohhh man, I wanted to play this game so bad when it came out.

Does it use R and L very much? Those buttons are a little broken on most of my GBAs =|

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2016, 11:44:55 am »
Well, my day has officially been made. :thumbsup:
Thank you so much for translating this.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| Nick Johnston - Remarkably Human || https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ7W3JvZBJQ

mystic

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2016, 12:54:08 pm »
Hi! I've wanted to play this game ever since I first saw it in Nintendo Power 15 years ago. I even bought the Japanese game, because I love like everything Brownie Brown has done since.

I hope you don't mind, I've been screenshotting some of the minor issues I've seen while playing. None of these are game breaking, just figured you might want to look into them to make the very best product you can :)

7 images - ignore the color, that's just my computer adjusting to the time of day
Spoiler:

spacing on "andBlueberry"

text pushed behind portrait

textbox pushed out

misplaced line break

weird text for magic notebook

wrong icon for "strength" - all level up icons are like this

japanese text for price and stock, menu text for "bira" instead of bura?

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2016, 02:24:26 pm »
That's a fact! This is the BEST emulator for this game. The sound is EVEN BETTER than mGBA Thanks for the discovering.  :thumbsup:

Alkarl

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2016, 09:02:38 pm »
Another thing to note is that you can trade Amigos with VBA-M's Link mode to get new magic for your characters. You'll need to have pause when inactive turned off and have a Magical Vacation rom with a different name for both emulators. I've gotten 5 amigos on my own with this.

You can change what Amigo you're using in your profile page under Mojo and you can give Amigos to your own party members to use as well.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 01:16:53 am by Alkarl »

Malictory

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2016, 06:27:23 am »
I know this is asking much, but I, and probably a lot of other folks would be super interested in knowing about the whole translation process you went through when making the patch! Like issues along the way, name changes to characters, stuff like that!

Spinner 8

• Pink Pretty Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2016, 02:39:51 pm »
FYI, fixes for this game in mGBA may be incoming now that it's been translated. https://twitter.com/endrift/status/740838578360614912

It's nice when ROM hacks and translations end up improving emulation. Usually it's the opposite. :)

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2016, 02:54:25 pm »
FYI, fixes for this game in mGBA may be incoming now that it's been translated. https://twitter.com/endrift/status/740838578360614912

It's nice when ROM hacks and translations end up improving emulation. Usually it's the opposite. :)

hear hear!
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2016, 06:24:12 pm »
That's nice :D
But for now, using a BIOS might help with some of the bugs. It's not usually needed, but Magical Vacation might be one of those fringe cases.