So in a few days i'll do up a review of this hack as i'm over halfway through Let's Playing it. That said I have some notes if you'd ever like to improve on an already brilliant hack or make this as a separate [Restored] hack (and considering the acclaim the SNES version is getting after it's release on Switch I wouldn't be surprised if you wanted to)
- Change 'Gold' to 'Z' and 'Zenny' for consistency with Breath of Fire 2, 3 and 3.
- Include Bregalad's Sound Hack. The SNES sound was better across the board. I found I had to patch the Sound before Improved to get it working. Alternatively, there is a full OST for BoF1 if you'd be able to add that for the soundtrack and use Bregalad's patch for sound effects only.
- Add in the two cut songs 'Unused Bar Theme' and ''Unused Heroic Theme' but i'll mention this later.
- Snes intro sequence/title screen was way better. I made an example of this in the first episode of the Let's Play
- Considering this is supposed to be a rebalance, Nina levels like crazy after Lvl 28. When Ryu and Bo were lvl 30, she was 48 so that may need slight nerfing.
- Change 'fear' and 'scared' back to 'Curse' and 'Cursed' I was immediately confused by what this status was til I noticed the cursed mark floating above my character's head.
- Change 'Life2' item to 'P.Cea' or 'Pcea' for consistency with the rest of the series use of 'Panacea' and so people don't mistake it as a revival item.
- It might be worthwhile to increase the reward amounts from Auria residents for side quests from $20k to $30k so speed runners and lazy people don't have to grind for a billion years for a Gold Bar. The second is available to find so this would be a nice change and still require them to spend $5k of their own money.
- Extend inventory size for party and bank so completionists can have every weapon and armor in one save file. In fact, it would be a good way to implement the cut out Coach item. Perhaps permanently increase the bank inventory but only double the party inventory when the Coach is equipped so the item has a function.
- Add in the Coach item (see above)
- Add in some of the cut end game equipment as random drops from enemies, random fishing/hunting rewards or make them available from the Flea Market. You could rename them after recurring equipment throughout the series to make things easier.
- There are cut areas like the Nanai shop and bar and the unfinished shrine. Now obviously there is no point in adding in Nanai areas buuut.. you could use the maps still. Perhaps have Drogen repaired through an in-game side quest involving collecting certain items and Zenny. In fact, you could add in some of the useless cut items, rename them something else and use them as quest items to rebuild Drogen using the original spriteset from the prologue. Then you could add the unused hero theme for Drogen after it's repaired, keep the original theme inside the main house, and add a basement to the main house and put the unfinished shrine there, switching out blue slimes for gold slimes for easy grinding. You could then add the Nanai Bar map to a house in Drogen and use the unused bar theme song there and place some easter eggs. Maybe alter the map to have an actual bar with tables and chairs though. This would also be a nod to the town building and fairy village from Breath of Fire 2 and 3 aswell ^_^
I should also link this for reference: https://tcrf.net/Breath_of_Fire
Now I know some of these notes are a lot more reasonable than others. Some easy fixes and some lofty suggestions. I just know you're quite a capable hacker so I thought i'd throw some ideas out there as well as a few things i've noticed while playing through Breath of Fire I Improved ^_^