News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [GBA] Magical Vacation English Translation  (Read 63480 times)

magicalpatcher

• View Profile
[GBA] Magical Vacation English Translation
« on: December 04, 2015, 05:50:12 am »

Magical Vacation is the first RPG that Brownie Brown (now known as 1-UP Studio) of Mother 3 fame worked on. It had a spiritual successor, Magical Starsign, on the NDS that was localized but unfortunately Magical Vacation never managed to leave Japan. I'm now currently working on translating it into English.

The game is currently fully translated into English and in a playable state. There are numerous graphical glitches / spacing issues that still need to be addressed before I publicly release the patch on June 10th, 2016.

Here are some (outdated) screenshots:

I hope there are people interested in playing this RPG as it has some gorgeous graphics, an interesting battle system, and colorful dialogue and names!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 05:50:10 pm by magicalpatcher »

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
Re: [GBA] Magical Vacation English Translation
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 07:16:08 am »
Heck I'm always on board for another obscure import RPG to play! Now since you're obviously more familiar with the title than I am, let me ask you this. Does it suffer from the same sort of long-windedness that most RPGs of the mid-2000s suffered from? It seems like every game from that era had swathes of unneeded text and pointless conversations in an attempt to either pad out the gameplay or just fill space.

But regardless, text can be skipped. This is going on my watch list right beside Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 3 and Princess Crown!

Lentfilms

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 09:16:40 am »
I'm definitely interested in playing Magical Vacation! :)
This game always looked really charming and fun so I'm very excited to see someone is making a translation. Seems like you are making a lot of good progress, I wish you luck and look forward to future updates!

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 05:37:57 pm »
Thank you so very VERY much, I have literally been waiting since 2003 for an english version of Magical Vacation, you are awesome. :thumbsup:
Sleepy's Album of the week|| Nick Johnston - Remarkably Human || https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ7W3JvZBJQ

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 11:33:13 pm »
Awesome!! I just recently tried out the sequel and found out the first one. Was really hoping it would get translated. :)
Rest assured your work will be much appreciated. Thank you!

magicalpatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 11:56:12 pm »
Thanks everyone for the positive responses! I'll keep the post updated with major milestones.  :)

Does it suffer from the same sort of long-windedness that most RPGs of the mid-2000s suffered from? It seems like every game from that era had swathes of unneeded text and pointless conversations in an attempt to either pad out the gameplay or just fill space.
The story isn't very deep so arguably, most of the conversations are "pointless", but most of the dialogue and characters in the game are surreal in an Alice in Wonderland sort of fashion and has a distinct charm to it. Also, none of the locations / dungeons are very long and overstay their welcome in my opinion.

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 04:35:21 am »
Nice! I've always remembered this game because of the trophies and stickers on Super Smash Bros series.

I played Magical Starsign for the DS. Pretty curious title. The rather forced touch controls made it a little slower than it had to be for my taste, but I liked how everybody was a wizard there and some of the mechanics too, lol.

How this one compares to Starsign?
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

midget35

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 12:23:14 pm »
Thank you so much for starting this project! The work you have done so far looks simply incredible! Best of luck friend!

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 08:27:41 pm »
Hello everybody!

I could be new through here (though I'm a reader of this board from some years ago :) ) and I just wanna show my support for getting translated this gem.  Almost since it was announced on that Nintendo Space World 2000 I wanted to play it, sadly it never came to us the Western players.

But you came as the final hope, magicalpatcher!  You have my full support for this project!

Greetz from Costa Rica

pablitox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 10:01:12 pm »
I'm really interested! Hope you can complete it. Good luck!
Re taking hajimari no ishi!

SORASUNYU

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 04:14:16 am »
Wow, it's a good game.Thank you for translating :D

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 05:45:43 pm »
Very interesting! I never heard of the game before, the Mana series vibe is noticeable (at least visually). The screens look great!  :)

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 12:25:33 am »
Whoa.   The graphic they have is almost same Sword of Mana.
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

magicalpatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 07:08:16 pm »
A quick update. The first draft of the script is now 80% complete. All item names, spell names, and item descriptions have been translated. The menu is a lot more functional now so here are some new screenshots!

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 04:41:04 am »
Oh neat. I didn't know I needed to play a game with an equippable Super Afro, and yet here we are. Very quality work there. Keep it up!

pablitox

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 08:50:22 am »
A quick update. The first draft of the script is now 80% complete. All item names, spell names, and item descriptions have been translated. The menu is a lot more functional now so here are some new screenshots!

looking great! :D
Re taking hajimari no ishi!

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 12:14:24 pm »
very impressive work!
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 06:18:13 pm »
Looks beautiful. I noticed the distance between icons and text in the menus could use some work, as I'm sure you are aware... Anyway, Really looking forward to this! (especially since I'll probably play it on this: http://rosecoloredgaming.com/revo-k101.html)

magicalpatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2015, 12:46:08 pm »
Happy New Year everyone!

The first draft of the script is now 100% translated. I've spent the past couple days hacking the text display for battles and it's now finally in a playable (but ugly) state.

Also, now that I've made pretty significant progress in the project, I can realistically estimate that the translation will be completed by June 2016.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 04:15:04 pm »
Sweet! I'm anticipating this gleefully.