News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

What are your favorite genres?

Platformers (Super Mario Bros, Super Mario 64, Sonic)
14 (19.7%)
Shooters (Contra, Call of Duty, Gradius, Ikari Warriors, maybe GTA)
8 (11.3%)
Puzzle (Tetris, Eggerland/Lolo, Space Chem)
5 (7%)
Strategy (Starcraft, Heroes of Might and Magic, Civilization, Europa Universalis, maybe Sim City)
7 (9.9%)
Adventure (Sam and Max, Maniac Mansion, Gabriel Knight)
10 (14.1%)
RPGs (Final Fantasy, Fallout, Rogue, Ultima Underworld)
15 (21.1%)
Sandbox (Minecraft, Terraria, Kerbal Space Program, Dont Starve)
2 (2.8%)
Sports (FIFA, Mutant League, Mario Kart, Grid 2)
2 (2.8%)
Fighting (Final Fight, Street Fighter, Fatal Fury, maybe God of War and Hand God)
4 (5.6%)
Simulators (Farming Simulator, Euro Truck Simuator, Flight Simulator, Football Manager)
2 (2.8%)
Other (please elaborate)
2 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: What are your favorite genres?  (Read 4005 times)

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
What are your favorite genres?
« on: November 20, 2015, 01:10:43 pm »
Inspired by a few recent topics of late, I am curious about your favorite genres. Why? Because many genres have had their distinct eras they have been on the top, and I feel they might influence about their perceived golden age.

I kept the genres a bit under broader strokes, if only to not have that many options. I tried to include exxamples of the types of games covered by each broader genre, if only to get people an idea what more specific genres are covered during each. If you think a genre should be split, let me know why.
_-|-_

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: What are your favorite genres?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 02:39:01 pm »
I picked platformers and RPGs. I like older platformers more (because not every 3D platformer is Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness), but I probably prefer more recent RPGs like the PS1 and PS2 (except for the ridiculous length of some of these games).
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 02:49:19 pm »
"(Contra, Call of Duty, Gradius, Ikari Warriors, maybe GTA)"
Dude, that's four different genres :P
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

MisterJones

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 04:24:20 pm »
"(Contra, Call of Duty, Gradius, Ikari Warriors, maybe GTA)"
Dude, that's four different genres :P

You probably didnt read my post and havent seen the more outlandish cases
_-|-_

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 05:00:47 pm »
1. RPGs.

2. Strategy games.

I vastly prefer turn based strategy. Jagged Alliance 2, the Advance Wars series, Blackguards, XCOM: EW - I love games like that. I played a ton of RTS games too in my time, but playing SC2 Legacy of the Void and Grey Goo in the last 8 weeks made me wonder if I ever truly loved the genre. Or maybe those games were just meh. At least when it comes to the singleplayer experience, nothing will ever take away my 500 hours of loving the Dawn of War series online. But in SP, no matter how inventive the level design, at the end of the day it boils down to raising a critical mass of units and then sending the wave of death over the enemy base. I don't enjoy that as much as I once did back in the SC1 and C&C days anymore.

3. Adventures.

Just recently beat Life is Strange, it was fantastic. Day of the Tentacle. Classic Sam & Max (fuck Sucktale). Phoenix Wright.

But I can appreciate games from most genres. Several FPS games are among my all time favourites (System Shock 2, Half-Life), as well as Action Adventures (Tomb Raider, some Zeldas, MGS [not gonna consider stealth its own genre for this discussion, okay?], Resident Evil both classic and up to 5).
Some genres that just aren't for me are:
Platformers - there are exceptions like Mario 64 or Spyro the Dragon back in the PSX times, but especially these days, I can't get into them. I have like 50 unplayed indie platformers from various game bundles in my Steam library and finally decided to remove most of them from the list since I won't play them anyway.
Survival/Crafting Sandbox - Nope, I don't have any childhood traumas that I need to compensate for with virtual legos
Racing - I liked Burnout 3 and Dirt 2, but that's about it
Fighting - Don't enjoy playing against strangers online, boring as singleplayer experiences. Sure when a buddy is visiting it's fun to have a few rounds of some old NeoGeo game in MAME, but we usually have our fill after 30 minutes or an hour tops. Wouldn't buy SF5 for full price or anything like that.
Sports - See fighting.
Puzzle - I like Portal 2 as much as the next guy, but it's rare a puzzle game interests me enough to entice a purchase.
Shooters / Spectacle Fighters - Not my thing. Button mashy stuff is instant no-go.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 05:15:21 pm »
You probably didnt read my post and havent seen the more outlandish cases

True, I stopped reading when I saw that. I think they should be split because they're too different to one another and because there's no harm in more choices.

Contra, Ikari Warriors - Run 'n Gun
CoD, Quake, UT - FPS
GTA - TPS (third person shooter)/Action Adventure
Gradius, Raiden, After Burner - Shoot 'em up/auto-scrolling shooter (though some will want to split Gradius and Raiden from AB I guess)
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 05:29:52 pm »
I'm not sure what splitting the poll into 5 times as many options would accomplish. If you only like a subset of a genre you can always post about it so people have something to discuss.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 09:53:51 pm »
Didn't ask for that, and I'd be alright with just umbrella-style terms as long as they're more accurate.
Optimally this is a list I can get behind, for the most part (not sure what the max number is for a poll here): http://www.favslist.com/lists/Favorite-Video-Game-Genres/199

It's just more efficient and reliable than reading the thread to (hopefully) figure out what most people actually voted for.

MisterJones

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 11:47:39 pm »
11 vs 56... right.

The purpose of this thread is identify trends with the rather small userbase (that visits Gaming Discussion) because it would relate nicely with their favorite gaming era and others. An example, RPGs (rather JPRGs) had their peak around the snes and ps2 eras; if you crave RPgs, it would be understandable why there is an appeal for you from that era, and so on.

Honestly, this is a thread in the end, feel free to further elaborate like KaioShin did. I will actually post my own preferences later
_-|-_

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 07:42:25 am »
So, you have 11 options to choose from, but are allowing people to select up to 10 of equal weight. I don't think any useful data's really going to come from this. With such broad genres, less selections per user, or numerical ranking could be beneficial. Assuming folks use all 10, this essentially becomes a single, "least favorite genre" poll.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 08:52:19 am »
You didn't really need a poll for that, it's RPG and Platformer. Favourite consoles: NES and SNES.

"let me know why, but I'm not gonna listen anyway"
 :banghead:

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 09:35:22 am »
Likely, the fact that fan-translations are the primary draw here have a lot to do with the preference for (J)RPGs in general in this crowd.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 09:57:42 am »
For the record, I only chose five.
But it did hurt that I had to give equal weight to RPGs and Puzzles.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 10:09:24 am »
Whatever I put my vote on, it immediately slipped my mind afterward. ::)

But really there is pretty much no genre I don't play, except for sports titles, (not including Mario Golf and Racing games).

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 02:52:35 pm »
So, you have 11 options to choose from, but are allowing people to select up to 10 of equal weight. I don't think any useful data's really going to come from this. With such broad genres, less selections per user, or numerical ranking could be beneficial. Assuming folks use all 10, this essentially becomes a single, "least favorite genre" poll.

I only voted for two. I don't see why anyone would want to pick 10 anyway. You're not really picking a favorite if you pick everything.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...