News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: JPS: web-based IPS patcher - status: released + UPS beta + BPS prototype  (Read 9628 times)

GHANMI

• View Profile
Re: JPS: web-based IPS patcher - status: released + UPS beta
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 08:14:19 pm »
Thanks a lot for finally adding, or at least considering BPS support. That's something that would be highly useful for me. I hope you will be able to get that bug sorted out.

qwertymodo

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 02:41:12 pm »
One thing to mention about .bps which you may or may not have already implemented, SNES ROMs are handled uniquely in that they are always created against unheadered ROMs, which is handled transparently by the patching application.  So, if the input file happens to be an SNES ROM, you need to be able to detect the existence of a copier header and remove it before attempting to apply the .bps patch.  This isn't baked into the actual file format itself, just the specification, but you do need to make sure to do that.

ZPedro

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2017, 06:24:02 pm »
One thing to mention about .bps which you may or may not have already implemented, SNES ROMs are handled uniquely in that they are always created against unheadered ROMs, which is handled transparently by the patching application.  So, if the input file happens to be an SNES ROM, you need to be able to detect the existence of a copier header and remove it before attempting to apply the .bps patch.  This isn't baked into the actual file format itself, just the specification, but you do need to make sure to do that.

What I intend to implement (for UPS as well, though no one cares about that one) is the following: I will first check the expected input file size against the actual input file size, and reject if they don't match, except if the two differ by exactly 512 bytes, in which case the patch will be applied starting from offset 512 in the file. This should do the trick. I am well aware of the SNES ROM subtlety in general, in fact the first BPS patch I tried with is precisely one over Super Mario World, and yes, I did initially apply it on the wrong kind of ROM…

October 24, 2017, 06:32:41 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
OK, the mystery deepens… on the Chrome side they claim they cannot reproduce my issue, which is a bit odd since I can reproduce it on a second very different Mac (2009 Mac Pro vs 2016 MacBook pro, Mac OS X El Capitan vs Mac OS X Sierra), but I tried on Windows and it is true the issue does not exist there, it works! So while I am waiting for them to get back to me, I am going to release it as a prototype, but you should only use it with:
  • Safari on Mac OS X
  • Chrome on Window and other platforms

http://wanderingcoder.net/projects/JPS-dev/bps-proto/
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 06:32:41 pm by ZPedro »
Tired of IPS patching with a desktop app? Try JPS!

qwertymodo

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Re: JPS: web-based IPS patcher - status: released + UPS beta + BPS prototype
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2017, 01:08:19 pm »
BPS works fine for me on Chrome, Windows 10 x64.

ZPedro

• View Profile
Re: JPS: web-based IPS patcher - status: released + UPS beta + BPS prototype
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2017, 04:43:04 pm »
Good news everyone! JPS is now supported on all modern desktop browsers, because today I added support for Edge. Same URL, http://wanderingcoder.net/projects/JPS/.

(the reason being I managed to find a cybercafé with Windows 10 and Edge to test it in, as my machine at the day job is stuck with Windows 7 and IE 11, and most cybercafés I can find being on worse)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 04:49:29 pm by ZPedro »
Tired of IPS patching with a desktop app? Try JPS!