News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: R-Type Tactics II (PSP) FULL PATCH RELEASED  (Read 24337 times)

Allplay1997

• View Profile
Re: R-Type Tactics II (PSP) menu translation guidance (Preliminary work)
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2016, 02:10:00 am »
Yes, As it was my first tackle at it, I expected some sort of criticism :) It's all good, I'll improve with time! :D

Ahhh yes, you mean copying from the translated Command?? That could be an option yes! :) if anyone can provide me with .png files of translated messages in Command I could see what could be done.

if all the .GIM files in Command are transparent, then it'll be easy to take off the messages and paste it on their RTT2 Counterparts, and if possible compile a small font type of Command, I could comission that on DeviantArt or Dafont, that'd make the job that much easier :3
I'll see what I can do.

Yup XD Getting past GailRose was truly a pain, my PSP Nearly had a fatal encounter with a wall one day, and Komblier Lilil was another nightmare, that game deserves the Number 1 spot on the Hardest PSP Games list.

EDIT:

I have edited the former test, see how this looks: https://s5.postimg.org/chweb1dcn/test_2.png
I have also comissioned on DeviantArt to have someone do us a font similar to the one used in Command, I'm waiting for a reply on the topic there :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 02:52:50 am by Allplay1997 »

Isourou-san

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2016, 01:53:09 pm »
flame inserted the file into the CMN.DAT file and came up with a rather disappointing result. First image is the original, second image is the translation of the text + a portion of the file you photoshopped (it's in the text box, under the unit icon):

There seem to be 2 major problems here:
1. Color: you'll need to use white text instead of black

2. Height: the English version needs to be the exact same height as the original, otherwise you get the above result. As far as I understand, the game summons certain text from a GIM file such as yours, but the address it "dials" to do this, is determined by its pixel location. So if it's even one pixel off, you get a shift in text that is displayed ingame like in the screenshot. For the same reason the width is slightly less important because if you made it shorter than the original, you'll simply summon some empty pixels along with the word. Just don't make it longer than the original. I hope that made some sense.

Honestly, I thought the result would've been better as well, but as you can see this will be a trial/error thing until we get the first one right. After that, things will go much smoother. The next issue will be choosing the appropriate font, but first things first.

Good luck!  ;)

PS: That big lump of Bydo sure was a doozy... One of the few missions I had to retry, even with savestates from PPSSPP. You'll also notice that I translated "GailRose" as "Geirrod" because it is one of many names derived from Norse mythology (other examples are Utgarda Loki and Glitnir). It's also depicted in one of the images in the captain's logbook I believe.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 02:08:08 pm by Isourou-san »

Allplay1997

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2016, 12:46:19 am »
Hey there again!
Ahhh I had a feeling color would be an issue! D: No problems, the color will be no issue, as for the height, that R-9E is supposed to have Desynch Sonar in the text yes? I believe the height just needs some tweaks, as for the font, Flame sent me the original game's text files, I'll provide them as reference if someone's willing to build us a font :) Or use them directly on the images I need to translate, Width ain't a problem then, that's one less worry! :D

The height will be my biggest obstacle to overcome, I'll do my best guys! :D I'll go ahead and check on my comission and then try to tweak that file once again

PS: I believe that fits it better honestly, Lilil was a mess though, Glitnir almost had me using cheats just to clear it xD I presevered though! :D

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2016, 04:00:25 am »
Width ain't a problem then, that's one less worry! :D
Not so fast. The text has to "blend in" the game, so you want to keep things proportioned, right?

Allplay1997

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2016, 09:04:16 am »
Of course, of course, I worded myself wrongly, I apologize, everything has to look professional :)
This is not a half-assed job, alright so I'll inform my sister and we'll start reworking on the first image once again, as they say, third time's the charm, recap is that the height has to be the same as the Japanese characters, which is the main issue we have now, color a distant second yes? Width is as important.

When you put it into words it doesn't sound hard, in practice it gets tricky :) well, not discouraged in the least.

WillyTheSquid

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2016, 02:21:54 pm »
Hi chief, been using this site on and off in the past months and just today learned there was a sequel to R-Type Tactics. Bit the bullet and registered on this forum specifically to let you know I appreciate that you're seriously working on a translation and have been for a while. Keep it up!

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2016, 01:56:54 am »
Of course, of course, I worded myself wrongly, I apologize, everything has to look professional :)
This is not a half-assed job, alright so I'll inform my sister and we'll start reworking on the first image once again, as they say, third time's the charm, recap is that the height has to be the same as the Japanese characters, which is the main issue we have now, color a distant second yes? Width is as important.

When you put it into words it doesn't sound hard, in practice it gets tricky :) well, not discouraged in the least.
Sounds good! And I didn't mean no discouraging or anything - I was just trying to make sure wez shared a common view.

Isourou-san

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2016, 10:53:08 am »
November updated added.

Hi chief, been using this site on and off in the past months and just today learned there was a sequel to R-Type Tactics. Bit the bullet and registered on this forum specifically to let you know I appreciate that you're seriously working on a translation and have been for a while. Keep it up!

Thanks for the encouragement! It's well needed :) The EBOOT is as good as fully translated now (+99%) and has seen another revision for errors. All that is left before we can release a patch is translating those GIM files. No idea how long exactly that will take.

Allplay1997

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2016, 05:42:05 pm »
Hey there again! Sorry for apparently disappearing D: (I've had some recent issues in life that needed taking care of :) ) The font comission I've requested has had no attention at all :T so what is the plan?

About the translation of the GIM files, I've had yet another go a few minutes back and came up with this I've tried to do my best with the allignment, as well as giving the English letters some sort of outline or stroke as the Japanese characters also have :) If I had some way to test these directly in my game it'd be easier to check if it works or not, however one of my PSPs hit the fritz and the other needs to have the speaker replaced, I have no idea if my computer runs PPSSPP as well, but I'm eagerly looking forward for the patch! :D let's do our best :)

Another link to the picture in case the one above doesn't work: https://s5.postimg.org/tc3ix71zr/Translation_attempt.png

Isourou-san

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2016, 11:35:38 am »
Hey there again! Sorry for apparently disappearing D: (I've had some recent issues in life that needed taking care of :) )

No worries, we all have our stuff we need to take care of sometimes :)

The font comission I've requested has had no attention at all :T so what is the plan?

You requested that to make a sort of alphabet in the same font as R-Type Command's right? Make doing that all by yourself would take too much time?

About the translation of the GIM files, I've had yet another go a few minutes back and came up with this I've tried to do my best with the allignment, as well as giving the English letters some sort of outline or stroke as the Japanese characters also have :) If I had some way to test these directly in my game it'd be easier to check if it works or not, however one of my PSPs hit the fritz and the other needs to have the speaker replaced, I have no idea if my computer runs PPSSPP as well, but I'm eagerly looking forward for the patch! :D let's do our best :)

That's looking a lot better! I'll be sure to relay it to flame so that he can test it out in game (he's a little busy at the moment himself, I think). We'll see how it goes from there.

PPSSPP doesn't need to be on a PC. It can also run on Android devices like a tablet or smart phone. Usually emulated games are horrible on touch screens for me, but R-Type Tactics II is actually pretty much perfect for it, given that it's a strategy game and not some action/platformer where your input needs to be 1:1. I play it all the time on my android phone ;)

flame

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2016, 11:48:36 pm »
Works good.

This is now working too.
I didn't notice anything unusual.

Will need testing in-game to see length limits.
After that, set flags for the length limit for each kind of line & do automatic line wrapping according to the flag, or do the line wrapping manually.
I think this is the last of the text. There's also the chapter select screen which I inserted too, but I'm unfamiliar with this game and thus unable to test.

We have lots more images to work on too until "fully playable"

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2016, 04:52:40 am »
Works good.

Just a nitpick (to potentially ignore on your end if you so choose): wouldn't it be even nicer if the height-to-width ratio of "DESYNC SONAR" would be the same as that of "SPEED", "RADAR" and "EVADE"? (Also, the text "DESYNCH SONAR" flows a bit below the lower line of the icon - outline excluded - I think it'd be centered if the text was a couple of pixels shorter in height.) Again, small details, up to you guys to see if it's worth changing.

Isourou-san

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2016, 03:10:28 am »
That looks pretty awesome! Great job to both flame and Allplay :) That said, I do agree with Blackdog that it should be like the rest of the text like "speed", "radar", "evade" and "skill" + align it with the Desynch Sonar icon. That way it would look more like R-Type Command:

Will need testing in-game to see length limits.
After that, set flags for the length limit for each kind of line & do automatic line wrapping according to the flag, or do the line wrapping manually.

You may already know this, but if you want to see how it looks in game, I've noticed the terrain descriptions are listed respective to the missions, i.e. Mission 1 terrain descriptions are listed first in the CMN.DAT, Mission 2 is next, etc.
Spoiler:
CHAP0000: Chapter 1 Coalition side
CHAP0001: Chapter 1 Granzera side
CHAP0002: Chapter 2 Joined campaign
CHAP0003: Chapter 3 Bydo campaign

I think this is the last of the text. There's also the chapter select screen which I inserted too, but I'm unfamiliar with this game and thus unable to test.

To "unlock" the chapter selection screen, you need to have completed the first chapter (either on Coalition or Granzera side). Then, if you load your gamesave from the start screen and select the single player campaign, you'll be brought to the Chapter menu to choose which chapter you want to play.

We have lots more images to work on too until "fully playable"
I'll get right to translating the remaining RTT2 GIM files. Now that I've translated all weapon types (+descriptions), I have a nice list of English weapon types to build upon. It still won't be easy though, because the game uses a really low res quality font for those attacks (e.g. in the image flame last posted, right under the already translated "VULCAN").

Allplay1997

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2016, 11:41:37 am »
Excellent!! I'm glad third time was possibly the charm! Now that I'm getting the hang of it, things should go a lot more smoothly :D As for alligning it with the icon, I did notice that on the image Flame posted, I was under the impression it would be hard to allign due to how the game dials the address to show text, surely I could give it a try, I have dumped my clean ISO of the game from the UMD onto my computer, and I have downloaded PPSSPP :) It runs sorta good everywhere except for the missions where it could be a bit of a slug. I'm also quite interested in obtaining some 3D models of the game (if that is even possible, after looking through the game's files I haven't seen anything related to models, I'm sure it'd be inside the CMN.DAT file, however I can't extract it :/) ANYWAYS back on the subject of the translation, I'm ready to translate the rest so just tell me what to do! :D

As for the font, I have no experience whatsoever with typefont crafting, I'd guess compiling one WOULDN'T be too hard if I knew how to do it though, I could get educated quickly if it's required :)

P.S: Could someone also pass me a savegame please? :)

Isourou-san

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2016, 10:05:19 am »
Hey Allplay, send me your e-mail address in a PM. It's needed to invite you to slack.com :) Chatting and files sharing is a lot easier there.

flame is working on a way to replace the GIM files ourselves. That way you can test the stuff you've photoshopped by yourself.

I have dumped my clean ISO of the game from the UMD onto my computer, and I have downloaded PPSSPP :) It runs sorta good everywhere except for the missions where it could be a bit of a slug.

Well, I guess it depends on how powerful your PC is. It runs perfectly fine on mine, but on my android phone not so much. Sound can be choppy depending on the stage I'm playing. And when I desynch a unit, framerate drops big time with a chance of turning the screen black. Tweaking with the settings and a more powerful phone might help though.

I'm also quite interested in obtaining some 3D models of the game (if that is even possible, after looking through the game's files I haven't seen anything related to models, I'm sure it'd be inside the CMN.DAT file, however I can't extract it :/)

Since you're so interested in doing this, you've probably already heard of Noesis? I just looked up a solution to extract 3D models from games and that program came up. I wasn't able to open/extract the CMN.DAT with Noesis though. Maybe you should ask on a more specialized forum?

As for the font, I have no experience whatsoever with typefont crafting, I'd guess compiling one WOULDN'T be too hard if I knew how to do it though, I could get educated quickly if it's required

I don't know anything about font crafting either, but I assume it is as simple as creating an alphabet+the numbers from 0-9? If so, you could just rip it from words from the GIM files of R-Type Command.

Allplay1997

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2016, 03:11:53 pm »
The PM Has been sent! :D

Nah the game runs fine, besides I could just run it on my sister's computer (which is far superior to mine by the way ;) )

Yeah I have Noesis actually, however that's the thing, I've tried opening the CMN.DAT file in Noesis, it crashes my computer and then Noesis tells me it can't open the file, I'm sure there's some way to extract it, I know for sure the Dissidia Modding Forums (of which I was a part of some years ago) had some sort of tool to help extract models, additionally a friend of mine gave me models from Ace Combat X and X2, which are PSP Games, so surely R-Type Tactics 2's models can be extracted. :) if I find something out I could let you all know! :) It'll be a sort of side gig while working with you guys :D

I honestly have no idea how easy or hard it'd be to compile a font, surely the GIM files from Command could provide me with enough letters to build an alphabet. Googling it didn't help much :/

shileka

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2016, 11:32:14 am »
made an account almost purely to say that i love this! r type is one of my favorite psp games and i hope you'll share with everyone ^^

Javelin Guranzera

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2016, 11:51:36 pm »
Hello, how is everyone?  :)

Isourou-san

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2016, 12:08:02 pm »
made an account almost purely to say that i love this! r type is one of my favorite psp games and i hope you'll share with everyone ^^

We will definitely share the translation with everyone, but it has to be as comprehensive as possible first. Delivering an unfinished product would be really half-assed now that we've come this far. ;)

Hello, how is everyone?  :)

I added a December update to share our progress. I thought I recognized your username from somewhere... You're the same person that commented on bydolord's translated trailer of RTT2 on youtube, right? With that said, do you have a way of contacting him? :)

Javelin Guranzera

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2016, 12:43:02 am »
Yes that's me Javelin of Guranzera. :)

December 05, 2016, 08:56:24 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
We will definitely share the translation with everyone, but it has to be as comprehensive as possible first. Delivering an unfinished product would be really half-assed now that we've come this far. ;)

I added a December update to share our progress. I thought I recognized your username from somewhere... You're the same person that commented on bydolord's translated trailer of RTT2 on youtube, right? With that said, do you have a way of contacting him? :)
you mean bydolord? then no
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 08:56:24 pm by Javelin Guranzera »