News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: R-Type Tactics II (PSP) FULL PATCH RELEASED  (Read 24320 times)

Host24

• View Profile
Re: R-Type Tactics II (PSP) menu translation guidance (Preliminary work)
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2016, 06:58:16 am »
Wait a minute, could you be the "bydolord" that made the translated trailer on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=121&v=QUJ_VE7vLBM? If so, nice work dude! We're all amazed at how well you managed to clean up the Japanese text like that. That said, "the Devil's weapon" was something that made us frown too (even though it is the literal translation). You'll be able to read up on our thoughts once you join slack.

Ha, no! I'm not bydolord, and I've no idea how they got the trailer translated like that. Bydolord was attempting a translation over on the R-Type wiki - they were the one who originally started the page http://rtype.wikia.com/wiki/R-Type_Tactics_II_Translation_Effort , but they stopped updating it more than a year before I showed up. They'd only gotten up to the start of the new character's city-selection section in the translation, and had a good bit of Engrish and misidentified kanji, so I used what I could and mostly started the effort over. ...Of course, you'd already well and truly outdone either me or whomever Bydolord was, by that point.

August or Black will send you a PM containing more info.
kk, will await PM.

Allplay1997

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2016, 10:10:51 am »
Hey there!   :D I've been following this for a bit, as a huge huge huge fan of R-Type and massive enthusiast of the series I'm so overjoyed that I found someone doing the translation for this masterpiece ;D Would it be too much to ask for an update on the progress? And if possible if there's anyway I can help? I don't have any knowledge of Japanese or Coding, yet if someone needs a tester, I have my two PSPs ready to go :3 If anything I just want to follow the progress as a long time fan of the series! :D Good luck to everyone involved in the project!

Isourou-san

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2016, 04:46:23 am »
Hi Allplay1997, great to see such excitement for this game! We welcome other people testing out our translation, but unfortunately we don't have a patch out yet to hand out to other players. Distributing the EBOOT would only get us into legal trouble too. So hang tight, but don't expect it to be done any time soon. We're all doing this in our spare time, so you're looking at a time frame of 6-9 months to get everything translated and have a working patch.

We'll keep you posted on our progress.

Allplay1997

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2016, 12:47:24 pm »
Hey again! Roger that, I'll sit back and keep an eye out for any developments, I can wait all the time needed, after all this game has been out for so long and after this long has the idea of a patch surfaced, so take all your time! :D As for the testing, whenever you feel or deem it ready for testing I can help with it if you wish :) (Just will need the instructions as how to patch the ISO) As for the legal issues, I had a quick check, IREM still exists even if they don't do video games anymore so for all intents and purposes the rights to R-Type still belong to them, so distributing the patched EBOOT/ISO is a risky move :/ its better to release the patch and the instructions on how to patch a legally obtained copy huh? Regardless Thanks for the reply! keep up the good work and all the best! :3

P.S: Hopefully you don't mind that I share the link of the thread with some R-Type enthusiasts so they can follow the progress as well :3

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2016, 01:41:35 pm »
P.S: Hopefully you don't mind that I share the link of the thread with some R-Type enthusiasts so they can follow the progress as well :3
Oh? Where have you found R-Type fans?

Allplay1997

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2016, 08:16:54 pm »
Oh? Where have you found R-Type fans?
Some months ago I uploaded the ripped soundtrack of RTT2 to Youtube (my channel at the time I think being the first to upload it so it got me some views :P ) and it brought some R-Type fanatics and fans to the channel, so I believe maybe one of them can even help in coding or translating! One can hope huh? :D

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2016, 04:19:33 am »
so I believe maybe one of them can even help in coding or translating! One can hope huh? :D
Ha ha, yes! Hope is free and welcome! ;D

Allplay1997

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2016, 05:17:34 pm »
Alright I've notified some more people about the thread, maybe we'll hit it big with more staff to help the translation process! :D all of them great R-Type fans, hope everything is going alright! :D  :thumbsup:

Isourou-san

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2016, 12:20:11 pm »
September update added in the original post.

TL;DR: We need a programmer to continue this project.

flame

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2016, 12:42:16 pm »
NoOnee (sp?) posted utility deceboot for decrypting EBOOT based on PPSSPP's code.

You make the patch using your patching tool between the decrypted EBOOT and your modified one.
The user supplies the original ISO. The pseudocode goes:
1) Extract EBOOT
2) Decrypt EBOOT
3) Patch EBOOT
4) Insert EBOOT

You should feel free to distribute a patch made in that way because it will probably be small and involve only your own work.

I gotta work on those ISO inserting tools for step (4). Steps 1-3 are straightfoward, and you can ask the user to insert the resulting decrypted EBOOT themselves using UMDgen until a tool for (4) can be developed. Let us know your question if you're having trouble with steps 1-3.

The first version of the ISO handling tool will just be able to replace a file if there's enough space for it already, but that's all you need for just inserting a decrypted EBOOT or even modified files if they're similar in size.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2016, 01:16:55 pm »
Maybe to clarify, Isourou-san needs a tool to dump text, in a way that it can be reinserted with different length. (Re-pointing, in other terms.)

flame

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2016, 03:20:03 pm »
You gotta catch up your new programmer.
Like a lot of games, this game uses a big archive file, and you have tools to extract/insert. Or at least some way of dealing with it. How about sharing those?
You should feel free to share that EBOOT patch based on the decrypted EBOOT if you feel like sharing. Or maybe not, there are a lot of reasons not to share it, too.

Probably pointers are not too complicated but no promises. I worked on ZZT3 (Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 3) which is an IREM game too and we couldn't get text insert to work at all! We figured out the format and put in our modified text, but it just didn't work; I didn't care to troubleshoot further...and our programmer gave up on that one, too.
----------------------------
Isourou, the lead, says the old programmer didn't give permission to share the tool.
No, it wouldn't help to have a dump of the text in the EBOOT. I'll just make that dump myself.
I turns out a lot of the text is in the EBOOT so I'll have to make my own tool. If we want to use the same length as IREM did that won't be hard. If length needs to be changed, then I'm not sure how to proceed. Whenever I expand EBOOTs, it doesn't work on a real PSP, I've never gotten it to work. My strategy has been to find a resident file other than the EBOOT with a fixed location and put the extra data there.

Here's READELF data for the EBOOT: http://pastebin.com/HjUE94ay
Looking at the READELF data, section 20 has strings data in it (maybe other data too).
That section is real big, it's 0x1a2250 bytes = 1.6MB so it's possible that contains all the text. I'm really not too sure.
I see above you need to figure out the pointers, so I'll get to work on that.
---------------------------------
ALL EBOOT strings (reference only, not for translating): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iZ146s9wuYaNKtf0Ml5HhPwjeFJOe_d6q6Qlu9lc61o/edit#gid=0
Spent ~3 hrs cleaning it up. Generic text dump tools have a tough time identifying string boundaries.
Here is the code I used to dump (and then manually clean it up): http://pastebin.com/QL3y4cgm
---------------------------------
EBOOT strings for translating: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PAS3bHEnJsB9Sl8RROu2FW4OlNTMIdUwkicF4_pGYG4/edit?usp=sharing
I need you to PM me your email address for edit access.
Let me see about finding those pointers.

The first string 戦闘機 is at 0x215508 in the EBOOT and 0x08B154B4 in memory, a difference of 0x88fffac.
The first check will be for virtual addresses in that data section that match string locations. If there are any matches, they are pointers, no doubt about it. We need to remember that file address + 0x88fffac = virt address
So the pseudocode is:
1) virt address = file address + 0x88fffac
2) search for virt address and record all matches
Simple, right?
-------------------------
Okay, I wrote this program:
http://pastebin.com/qATbCMTv
I found most of the pointers and put them in the sheet above. I'll need your translations to continue at this point.
--------------------------
The start of the first block is 0x215508 the end is 0x222014. That's line 1 through 1337 (purely a coincidence) in the dump.
The first task will be to make sure all the pointer are identified in this block. Next, we're going to relocate every single string based on its translated length to make sure we can reclaim all space from your translations that are shorter than the original. After that is just to see how much extra space we need for this first block. Seems to be ships data.
---------------------------
Good news! In the first block of strings, their translations will take up 49,028 bytes when inserted and there's 51,980 bytes available (computed by 0x222014 - 0x215508). Now just to make sure we have a pointer for every string in this block...
Yep, there's a pointer for every string in there, 1169 of them. Now to write the inserter tool, it shouldn't be too hard.

Here's the pseudocode I will be using:
1. Blank out the block
2. Read our input data, we actually don't even need the address (though it's a key for string identification so that will be useful when reading input data). We need lines and pointer. Address we don't care (because we have all the pointers); it will be computed at runtime.
3. Set starting address 0x215508
4. For each set of lines and pointer address:
4A. Build the string. Encode the lines and put newline characters between, then pad to word aligned.
4B. Update the pointer. The new pointer is equal to current address + 0x88fffac.

...And that's it, EBOOT updated. Not too hard, honestly.

There is a lot of extra space here. It seems like length limits are going to be based on space available in textboxes rather than on EBOOT space.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 09:25:17 am by flame »

Isourou-san

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2016, 05:34:40 pm »
October update added in the original post.

TL;DR: We need a photoshop image editor for this project.

Allplay1997

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2016, 07:22:52 am »
Amazing update! :D
Hmm what kind of Photoshop work are you all needing? Me and my sister know our way around Photoshop, perhaps we could help with that :) Depending on what is needed, we'd be more than glad to help :3
Keep up the great work people! :)

Isourou-san

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2016, 01:51:23 pm »
Hey Allplay! This time you can really help the project given you and your sister's familiarity with Photoshop. As it has already been explained higher up in the thread, the goal is to take a GIM file (i.e. a file with an image from a PSP game) provided by flame which has Japanese text on it, and photoshop it with an English translation we also provide. That's it :) The whole process is as follows:

1) flame extracts all Japanese GIM files with Japanese text on them from a file called CMN.DAT on the ISO
2) You edit the files
3) flame reinserts them in the CMN.DAT file
4) He'll check how it looks ingame (flame might provide a tool to check it yourself). If good: hurray! If it looks bad: back to editing

The tools to reinsert the files are still being finalized, so flame asked me wait a few more days at the most. His screenshots look promising! We'll probably invite you to slack.com, because it's easier there to chat, help each other out and share files.

As a little test to see if you're up to it, maybe you could edit this little four-word file (make sure you don't exceed the available space):
http://imgur.com/ebdhDWC

into:

JAMMING
DESYNCH BUSTER II
DESYNCH SONAR
CONSTRUCT BASE

For the last one simply "CONSTRUCT" is also ok. There isn't a lot of wiggle room there.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 02:25:29 pm by Isourou-san »

Allplay1997

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2016, 10:12:19 am »
Thank you so much for the opportunity to help out the project! :D
As asked I have worked with my sister on the little file you sent.

https://s20.postimg.org/k78iodjh9/test.png Here it is, I couldn't keep BASE in the "CONSTRUCT BASE" line so as you said, I left it as CONSTRUCT, we tried our best to keep it similar to the original, if any other editing is needed just say so! :)

Keep up the great work

flame

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2016, 12:13:55 pm »
That looks OK I guess.

The font
Maybe you could match the font a bit better? Maybe boot up R-Type Command and see how different fonts look. I think you want to look at unit abilities (can see in unit details) and unit commands (can see them in battle) for font examples. Try Google searching font matching, I know nothing about this. I did a quick search of this and the results looked helpful.

The alignment
Those original letters are 12px high. Yours should be the same.
It looks like your letters are around 9px high, maybe I am missing something. For example your first string "JAMMING" ends on pixel 16 from the top (bottom of the J), the original first string ends on pixel 12 from the top. The first string should start in the extreme top-left just like the original.
Don't worry about the width for now. Just make sure your strings fit within the 80px width. In general make sure it fits within the image width (most images) or column width (images with multiple text columns).

I need a save file that makes it easy to check this in-game.
There are no saves on GameFAQs.
How do I request GameFAQs to open a "Saves" section for this game?

As an aside note... found this on GameFAQs:

#1 hardest game? Yikes!

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2016, 12:58:25 pm »
Have you checked the brewology site?

Allplay1997

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2016, 01:23:25 pm »
That looks OK I guess.

The font
Maybe you could match the font a bit better? Maybe boot up R-Type Command and see how different fonts look. I think you want to look at unit abilities (can see in unit details) and unit commands (can see them in battle) for font examples. Try Google searching font matching, I know nothing about this. I did a quick search of this and the results looked helpful.

The alignment
Those original letters are 12px high. Yours should be the same.
It looks like your letters are around 9px high, maybe I am missing something. For example your first string "JAMMING" ends on pixel 16 from the top (bottom of the J), the original first string ends on pixel 12 from the top. The first string should start in the extreme top-left just like the original.
Don't worry about the width for now. Just make sure your strings fit within the 80px width. In general make sure it fits within the image width (most images) or column width (images with multiple text columns).

I need a save file that makes it easy to check this in-game.
There are no saves on GameFAQs.
How do I request GameFAQs to open a "Saves" section for this game?

As an aside note... found this on GameFAQs:

#1 hardest game? Yikes!

Thanks for the feedback!
As for the font, I have to agree, I noticed the font we used was kinda off, thank you for confirming it, we have switched it to a more formal font (Arial works?)

The font was at 7px in the image we have sent, at the date of posting this message I'll be going to sleep for a while, however when I wake up I shall redo the image if that is fine using 12px As for the allignment, we'll do our best to make the strings of text allign better with the original Japanese, the spacing in the strings was something I noticed straight away, maybe make each string its own section of editable text in Photoshop could help.
The width wasn't that much of a problem really, except for the CONSTRUCT BASE string, we had to cut it or it'd look like a mess :/

As for save files, I know for sure I have a save file (everything unlocked, including the Super Dreadnoughts UBFS-AE series) I have to find it among the mass of savedata in my SD Card, I'll run the game and see if the Savedata works then pass it to you :)

Isourou-san

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2016, 02:38:32 pm »
Thanks for the English version, Allplay! It requires some more finetuning, but that was to be expected. Listen to flame, he knows his stuff. Even if photoshopping is not his strong suit :o Something Blackdog just said on Slack is to be sure the font is as close the the original as possible. Otherwise it just won't work properly. He suggested copying from other game images as an option. I think we (as in flame or Black, it's all Chinese to me *cough*) can provide you with that.

As for save files, I know for sure I have a save file (everything unlocked, including the Super Dreadnoughts UBFS-AE series) I have to find it among the mass of savedata in my SD Card, I'll run the game and see if the Savedata works then pass it to you

I already provided mine to flame, no worries :) PPSSPP can run PSP save games, but not the other way around. Maybe you can run a conversion tool though.

PS: You finished this game only half understanding how everything works? That's some serious determination, man!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 02:45:39 pm by Isourou-san »