News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Phantasy Star Generation 2 Venting Thread  (Read 7736 times)

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
Re: Phantasy Star Generation 2 Venting Thread
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2015, 04:21:14 pm »
Shining in the Darkness is the same way.  This isn't limited to the Phantasy Star series.
Seems the old-school Japanese game designers were purposefully doing this as part of some grand plan to make it clear that 'ultimate' equipment wasn't always the best possible equipment.
This happened most (in)famously in FF7 with certain weapons being far superior to the Ultimate equips for specific things (specific elemental monsters/bosses, gaining the most materia XP, etc).

Generally, multi-hit weapons will almost always out-dps the single-hit ones.  This is why the single-hit ones need at least a minimum of double the attack power of the multi-hit one and possibly some kind of modifier on top of that (maybe 20%) to do more damage.  The multi-hit one would STILL have a better chance (per hit) of critting but the single-hit one would be good for steady damage.

For my ThornWood Terrors patch I went out of my way to redo the entire equipment lineup to seperate them into viable choices and offer a CHOICE rather than 'one best choice' per character.  I changed weapons that would be obsolete (like Hammers) and gave them unique attributes (increase Defense) to make them viable even at endgame and for specific playstyles.

But of course due to time/budget constraints, designers can't always do what they want to do.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2015, 11:56:33 pm »
A piddly little dagger, stronger than the ultimate sword. Really makes you think. Now I wish I had kept the Rifle for Tyrone; (Odin, Tylon) that was his "ultimate" double-hitting gun.

Edit - I went back and tested the Laconian Sword+Flaeli Crystal vs. Ripper+Flaeli Crystal; Laconian Sword only did a flat 117. Wow.

Yeah, I like to call this the "Falcon Sword Effect"--at low-medium levels, weapons like this (or DQ's Falcon Sword) do so little damage to not be worthwhile, but as your strength jacks up at higher levels (as yours does when getting near lvl55-60) it becomes more effective than the legendary weapons you normally end up with.  And by then you might've already gotten rid of that "Falcon" weapon, so you may not even get a chance to see its true potential.

I actually think the developers did this on purpose to reward those who stuck to it long enough and experimented to find the best combinations at high levels.  I mean, if you ever finished DQ2 with 2 heros wielding Falcon Blades, you know how awesome this effect can be--the only drawback is that even at high levels, high defense enemies can become an issue.

Then again, that's what Odins guns are for, amiright?

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2015, 12:38:11 am »
It's interesting to me how Final Fantasy VI plays with this...there aren't any multi-hit weapons, but the Masters Scroll allows you to hit multiple times for half the damage, so any weapon can be a multi hit weapon.

This is most effective when using a weapon that has a Hp-related damage property (Ultima Weapon, Valiant Knife) at lower Strength Levels, but straight up weapons can match the damage output once you buff up your Strength.

I admit that I've never gotten too deep into the Phantasy Star games, mostly due to the tooth-grinding difficulty. They're somehow even more difficult than the Dragon Quest games to me, with the possible exception of PSIV, which seems like they said "let's make this a little less merciless for a change."

Dang it, I need to play PSIV again.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2015, 06:51:18 pm »
I finally made it to the end (let the power-leveling commence!), and have a few observations for anyone contemplating a balancing hack of this game:

--Everything becomes much more manageable once you get the Enhancer.  TBH, there should really be some way to get this at the end of Motavia, as that would very much balance out the brutality of the robots.  I mean, it's helpful on Dezoris too, but I think I'd have actually been able to fight some battles in the Dams if it was available, say, right after AMeDAS.

--Barring that, Covert Ocarinas can be used in this game EXCEPT the dams, compounding the difficulty of that portion of the game.  I know I'm really harping on the end of Motavia here, but everything else has been so well balanced it just drives me nuts they couldn't come close to getting that part right.

--The speed tiers are REALLY noticeable, as none of the "casters" are particularly useful thanks to not being very quick.  And since their techs are much less efficient than the original, Kain and Hugh are well nigh worthless by endgame (they're both at ~lvl 45 and are still under 100TP).  Shir and Amy are pretty fast, so they're super effective as support staff, but I prefer Shir for her defense and Laconian Dagger.  Anne is slow, but she has the best TP pool, so I keep her for emergencies.

I haven't used the item creation system yet (nor do I plan to), so I don't know if that can even out the usefulness of Kain and Hugh.  It may be awhile before I finish this thing since I want to have a pretty high level party for the final fights, but I'm looking forward to it!

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2015, 09:28:20 pm »
The translated version seems to crash for some people (after a battle, during the battle results window) but we don't know yet why (we are pretty sure it doesn't come from the hack itself) so it might be a problem of iso creation (PS2-CD probably use some weird parameters or such).

For now, for people who have those problems, the best is to use it with PCSX2 emulator (I can confirm the game run fine on the 1.0.0 and should be the same for higher versions).

I never experienced any crash personally so it's pretty weird (but I run the game with uLauncherElf from an USB key so it might be different).

If anyone have clues about what could be wrong/have knowledge to share about the PS2-CD iso specifications, feel free to help ;)

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2015, 09:57:28 pm »
The translated version seems to crash for some people (after a battle, during the battle results window) but we don't know yet why (we are pretty sure it doesn't come from the hack itself) so it might be a problem of iso creation (PS2-CD probably use some weird parameters or such).

I haven't experienced any crashes, but every once in awhile, the game will freeze when trying to initiate a battle.  It's only happened abotu 2-3 times so far, but maybe it's due to the same issue?

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2015, 11:57:01 am »
Normally, the game should play flawlessly.

That was the case for Hiei- with his PS2, and it's the case with an emulator.

Did someone else experience flawless play on a regular PS2 ?

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2015, 03:44:47 pm »
I haven't experienced any crashes, but every once in awhile, the game will freeze when trying to initiate a battle.  It's only happened abotu 2-3 times so far, but maybe it's due to the same issue?

It might only crash on a real PS2, so depend if you played it with an emulator or with a PS2. It shouldn't crash with PSCX2 (at least, with the 1.0.0, as all my tests were done on this version).

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2015, 12:14:08 am »
I decided to take a joke run at the final battles....and promptly beat them at ~lvl 55-60.  The last 2 battles were MUCH easier than in the original, probably because of those tri/difluids that allowed me to spam Megiddo on the final fight (I did the first final battle legit though).

Everything looks great all the way through minus that one missed enemy--great job on the translation, I'm putting a reccommendation up tonight!

One question for anyone---does a clear game save do anything special in Gen2?  I know it was eventually going to be a special thing for Gen3, but that obviously wasn't made.  It looks like there should be some kind of new game+ thing, but I sure don't see anything different...

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2015, 10:36:32 am »
Clear Game data in PSg:2 allows you to...
Spoiler:
start the quest to eventually resurrect Nei.  ;) But a Clear Game after having done so has no effect.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 02:44:47 pm by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2015, 10:20:19 am »
I guess he meant PSG2 cleared save, because you can save once the game is finished and restart with the cleared save.

I could be wrong but from what I read, what you explain is when you use a PSG1 cleared save.

So yeah, I guess it was made for a future game which never got released.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2015, 10:24:44 am »
Actually...
Spoiler:
To revive Nei, you need to start a new game of PS gen:2 with having imported your PS gen:1 Clear Game into PS gen:2. After that, you need to beat a regular new game of gen:2, then save your Clear Game, then start another new game using your PS gen:2 Clear Game Data and jump through some hoops, so to speak, to save Nei.

When you beat the game then after having done that, you do get the option to save your Clear Game again, although it has no effect. Presumably...
Spoiler:
Loading a Clear Game where you have saved Nei into Phantasy Star IV's canceled generation remake would've allowed you to revive or otherwise save Alys.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2015, 05:21:03 pm »
I never figured out how to get the enhancer, couldn't make it trigger properly for some reason. 

As for the dams, I was able to handle most combats in them through judicious use of Keinz's paralysis spell.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2015, 11:45:12 pm »
I never figured out how to get the enhancer, couldn't make it trigger properly for some reason. 

As for the dams, I was able to handle most combats in them through judicious use of Keinz's paralysis spell.

To get the enhancer, you need to talk to someone in a house on Dezo, who will give you an item you then take back to the guy talking about it in Piata.  It honestly improves the quality of life immensely, but the game is still quite difficult.  The enhancer only allows you to do more damage--dezo mobs are still going to tear you up.

GreenJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2017, 02:55:59 am »
I am playing now on the real Playstation 2 in this Phantasy Star Generation 2. And faced with such a problem of item creation.

I am strictly following instruction which was described on the pscave.com But every time, regardless of the combination of the characters involved in the creation of items or the number of fights, I get only antidote.  :(

Can anyone encountered this problem and know how to solve it?

GreenJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2017, 02:42:44 am »
I am understood, why after a certain amount of battles I got the wrong item from the list. The creation of specific item depends not only on the number of fights, but also on their rating.

If you want to "squash bugs" near Passeo in auto-battle mode ("C" and "D" ranks), number of battles in this case will be doubled in compare with the list in the FAQ.

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2018, 10:30:01 pm »
We worked again on the project the last few days and the real hardware crash should now be fixed. It was because of the item drop function, the hacking broke it. As PCSX2 is more permissive than real hardware, it would give no items but do not crash.

On the real hardware, it crash the game after the battle (results screen).

Still, those crashs should have been pretty rare as the item drom rate is pretty low (I would say the rate is ~1%).

Now, the item drop works fine on PCSX2 (the item is given) so it should also work fine on real hardware (unfortunately, I don't have a working PS2 anymore to test it myself but it should be okay anyway).

About the english versions, some other things have been fixed/tweaked, you can get more informations here : http://www.pscave.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3775

I guess both versions (english and french versions) will soon be updated on the website (those versions should be the final versions, previous ones were beta versions).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 10:36:02 pm by Hiei- »

ohx012

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2018, 05:59:13 pm »
That is awesome news I had heard some guy on the pscave forum say the bug could not be fixed and could never be played on real playstation 2!

Wow awesome work...

I guess I will have to test it out is the new version released?  Is it V2d?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 06:12:52 pm by ohx012 »