News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Phantasy Star Generation 2 Venting Thread  (Read 7749 times)

magictrufflez

• View Profile
Phantasy Star Generation 2 Venting Thread
« on: November 01, 2015, 11:16:37 pm »
So, while I love a lot about the PS2 remake of Phantasy Star 2 (the plot's made a lot more sense so far), I have to say that the difficulty is finally going way over the shark.

I have beaten the original Genesis PS2, so I knew this was going to be a hard game, but sweet jesus the robots in this version are BRUTAL.  It's like the people doing the remake buffed all of them and then forgot to buff some of the anti-robot techs a bit--I'm literally getting slaughtered in the dams when I don't try running from every battle (or cheaply spamming special techs).  The dams in the original were hard, but they were much more manageable than this

Up until this point, I actually felt really good about where the difficulty was in the remake (especially when compared to Generation 1), but now I wonder what horrors are left for me on Dezoris, if I can even make it through the last 2 dams...

/endrant

Kallisto

• View Profile
Re: Phantasy Star Generation 2 Venting Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 08:12:39 am »
Personally I think it sucks they never did do the remakes for 3 and 4, but luckily 1 and 2 got that treatment since both games aged badly.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 01:53:35 pm »
I can't wait to get to this; I've been wanting to play it forever. But I have to finish updating generation:1's translation first. Thankfully, I'm near the end, but I have to replay it over again to do the beta test. I don't think people will be as excited to play an update of gen:1 as they were to play the brand-new gen:2 translation.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 10:50:10 pm »
I can't wait to get to this; I've been wanting to play it forever. But I have to finish updating generation:1's translation first. Thankfully, I'm near the end, but I have to replay it over again to do the beta test. I don't think people will be as excited to play an update of gen:1 as they were to play the brand-new gen:2 translation.

The Gen1 remake I dislike a lot for some of the cheaper ways difficulty got increased.  I believe some of the later bosses are literally impossible without certain remake-specific gameplay tricks that I really hated (good god the black dragon...).  TBH, if you're redoing the translation viv, I'd almost be tempted to replay it

That said, trust me, Gen2's translation is completely glorious.  I honestly have not noticed a single thing wrong so far (I'm almost off Motavia), and TBH, I think the plot actually still holds up a bit almost 20 years later.  You will not regret when you finally get to fire it up, even if some of the rebalancing has been utter garbage.

Personally I think it sucks they never did do the remakes for 3 and 4, but luckily 1 and 2 got that treatment since both games aged badly.

3 I can do without acknowledging, and as I play 2, I'm getting slightly less satisfied with 4.  I like 4 a lot (it was one of my first full-blown 30 hour rpgs as a kid), but...something about 2 just makes me like it just a bit better now.  Maybe it's just the mood permeating the game, but I think I have a much better appreciation for it.  4 seems so much more...average anymore--although I would kill to have the Dios fight song in every PS game in some capacity.

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 10:58:58 pm »
Maybe you guys are interested in checking this one approved recently

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2505/

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 04:04:06 am »
I guess they were already talking about the translated version (which got released a few days ago on PSCave website), so I also added it on Romhacking.net ;)

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 06:27:43 am »
I guess they were already talking about the translated version (which got released a few days ago on PSCave website), so I also added it on Romhacking.net ;)
I also feel like this topic was kind of a sneaky way of announcing that the beta translation is done. :P

The Gen1 remake I dislike a lot for some of the cheaper ways difficulty got increased.  I believe some of the later bosses are literally impossible without certain remake-specific gameplay tricks that I really hated (good god the black dragon...).  TBH, if you're redoing the translation viv, I'd almost be tempted to replay it
Eh, not exactly completely redoing it. Keep in mind that I'm not a translator. I am kind of giving it the old Project II treatment though, but on a much lesser scale. Kyence's actual writing and translation were fine. But I'm updating some lines to make more sense, clarify certain pieces of text, making sure there's no spillover issues, expanding abbreviations, bringing in the old spell names, etc. Tryphon is also being an outright saint and compiling the ISO, making sure the new hacks work for his custom routines. I'm doing pretty much all testing, though. He does his own tests as needed to check his new hacks, but I'm the one playing through the game.

I'm honestly not really looking forward to the beta test. Although it'll be much more relaxed than the alpha, a part of me just wants this done and out. With any luck, it'll be done before December is out. You can check my progress as SandyLandale here. (The name was made to distinguish that identity from vivify93, but I guess that cat has to be out of the bag, now. >.>)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 06:34:00 am by vivify93 »

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 11:49:12 am »
Well, VWF and full words for menus/items will already be a lot better for PSGEN1 ;)

Thanks for your work on PSGEN1, as the bugs found and fixed will also be used for the french version  :thumbsup:

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 05:16:01 pm »
I don't really get the point of this thread.
Why 'vent' at something when you can just enjoy the translation being publically released?

I for one am happy the game is finally in English and look forward to ploughing through the enemies.
Perhaps you are underleveled/undergeared for the area you are attempting?
Certain party members have anti-robot techs you may want to consider using more often.

After the translation itself is complete then Kyence & crew will likely work on the 'English Names' version.
Then once that is done we can start doing rebalancing and such.

So I guess I should just say this:  suck it up, buttercup ;)

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 07:58:00 pm »
Sounds like a new balancing project? :)
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 10:12:30 pm »
Fortunately I eventually figured out a way to run from most every robot battle in the dams, and finally got to Dezoris.

I can confirm my characters were NOT under leveled or geared (lvl 30ish, hero at lvl 40, all with the best equips I could buy).  And the robot techs are not really worth using.  I had much more success spamming the Grav items in battle than using the over priced and under powered techs Kain had.  Still, when you routinely run into 3 robot mobs that can hit your whole party for ~75 damage total per turn (my strongest character is at ~200 HP, weaker ones at ~125), not to mention are all faster than most party members, there is really something wrong with the balancing.

Doubly fortunately, Dezoris is MUCH less ridiculous.

I also feel like this topic was kind of a sneaky way of announcing that the beta translation is done. :P

I'm honestly not really looking forward to the beta test. Although it'll be much more relaxed than the alpha, a part of me just wants this done and out. With any luck, it'll be done before December is out. You can check my progress as SandyLandale here. (The name was made to distinguish that identity from vivify93, but I guess that cat has to be out of the bag, now. >.>)

I thought it was relatively common knowledge the translation was done....but oops if I jumped the gun talking about it.  It's good enough that it may as well be out of beta, but I think it's TECHNICALLY in beta atm.

You definitely have my condolences playing through Gen 1 all the way just to check the sprucing up--hopefully there are some cheat codes or something to ease some of the grindier/difficult portions?

EDIT:  I just checked out the changes you're making to the font for Gen 1, and it looks pretty great--I really do like it a lot better than the original! (my retinas do too)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 10:17:40 pm by magictrufflez »

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 01:23:30 am »
Tryphon did the font, and most of the other hacks. I'm just doing the minor script updates. :P But I appreciate the kudos. Generation:1 will look so much nicer now!

Edit - Oh, and no, there's no cheat codes at all for PS generation:1. None. I looked. I found some and they don't work.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 01:30:18 am »
but I think it's TECHNICALLY in beta atm.

Could you be more precise ?

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 07:41:35 am »
My best guess is that magictrufflez considers Kyence's translation the "beta," and our update will be the "final."

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 08:13:26 am »
Oh, I was talking about the Gen2 translation--which I thought the current release was a beta release.  I guess I could be wrong (I certainly haven't seen anything during my gameplay that would indicate it was a beta release), but I was just going off what I saw at the pscave forums and a few posts hiei made here a little while back.

I didn't mean Gen1--I know that one had been final for awhile now.  Although, I think I'd rather pretend Viv/Tryphon's forthcoming changes are the more final product.

Sorry about the confusion.  :(

EDIT:  As if on cue, this showed up when I fired it up this morning:

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 08:35:18 am by magictrufflez »

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 09:13:52 am »
I don't really get the point of this thread.
Why 'vent' at something when you can just enjoy the translation being publically released?

The thread had been created before the release of the translation on Romhacking.net. That's only after I saw this thread that I noticed the translation wasn't available here and that I posted it.

Oh, I was talking about the Gen2 translation--which I thought the current release was a beta release.  I guess I could be wrong (I certainly haven't seen anything during my gameplay that would indicate it was a beta release), but I was just going off what I saw at the pscave forums and a few posts hiei made here a little while back.

It is a beta release (which doesn't mean it's full of bug, it have been tested) and there will be another version later to correct the typos/little bugs (if there are any) people will report.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 09:46:36 am »

My fault : I thought you were saying that there are some technical aspects of the translation that needs refinements.

Since I'm also the hacker of PSg: 2, I'd have been glad to get constructive criticism.

Thanks for the screenshot.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 04:52:51 pm »
Generation:1 and 2 seem to share the trait of a huge freaking difficulty spike come Dezoris. I'm going to grind the team up to level 60 from level 45 to see if it helps. We can't afford to be running through Guaron Morgue and waste all our items and MP and have our asses handed to us on a laconian platter.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 04:58:38 pm by vivify93 »

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2015, 11:11:44 pm »
My fault : I thought you were saying that there are some technical aspects of the translation that needs refinements.

Since I'm also the hacker of PSg: 2, I'd have been glad to get constructive criticism.

Thanks for the screenshot.

NP Tryphon, I probably wasn't clear when I wrote that post.  I really do think the translation is excellent, and I've just made it to Lutz with pretty much everything getting fleshed out like I thought it would from the original Genesis version.  That one screenshot I posted seems to be the only missed thing so far--I definitely don't mind posting up issues if I find them, it's the least I can do to help out!

Generation:1 and 2 seem to share the trait of a huge freaking difficulty spike come Dezoris. I'm going to grind the team up to level 60 from level 45 to see if it helps. We can't afford to be running through Guaron Morgue and waste all our items and MP and have our asses handed to us on a laconian platter.

Gen 2 seems to be much more forgiving (so far) in this.  Gen 1 was an absolute nightmare though.  I forget what level I was before I left, but I was fully decked out in the best equips and still had to run from pretty much everything.  Man, I hated Dezoris in Gen 1--we need some codes.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2015, 08:39:29 am »
My first problem was in Tajim's Cave; we really couldn't use Lutz because of his solo fight, so I had to grind a little bit to learn Rafroze (Freeze II, R-Cryo, whatever it was called.) for Myau. I'm sure it would've helped if I had given everyone Froze Crystals (Ice Gems?) to attach an ice element to their attack, but those are a shit ton of meseta.

Dezoris was manageable until I had to go to Guaron, then I grinded to level 55. I picked up the Railgun for Tyrone and that's probably the most mob-effective weapon in the game. Within Guaron, you find a dagger called Ripper; equipping that on a Alisa and pairing it with a Flaeli Crystal (Fire Gem?) really helped out. For reference, the Laconian Sword was only doing about 70 to the Zombies in Guaron. Granted, she had a Froze Crystal on, which probably didn't help her damage output, but that turned into 90 + 90 with the Ripper with fire-element on it.

A piddly little dagger, stronger than the ultimate sword. Really makes you think. Now I wish I had kept the Rifle for Tyrone; (Odin, Tylon) that was his "ultimate" double-hitting gun.

Edit - I went back and tested the Laconian Sword+Flaeli Crystal vs. Ripper+Flaeli Crystal; Laconian Sword only did a flat 117. Wow.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 08:45:08 am by vivify93 »