News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: What if... General Leo had lived?  (Read 9812 times)

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
Re: ROM Hacks: What if... General Leo had lived?
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 03:22:27 pm »
And the problem with that is.... ?
That the game tells you otherwise from minute 0 of the story and keeps making it more and more obvious via NPC interaction.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2015, 03:32:15 pm »
I know well the minute 0 from FF7. There's a hint about how important the lifestream will be, but nothing about Sephiroth's stupidity or smartness :p
Quote from: Unmon
This staff of mine has transformed itself into a dragon and has swallowed up the universe! Oh, where are the rivers and mountains and the great earth?

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2015, 03:49:54 pm »
I mean the fact that Lifestream is weak and suffering. Sephiroth spends years trapped in there, so he would roughy know what it can or cannot do (clear hint: his plan to become a god with the damage from Meteor). That is why he stops Holy from being casted. The planet can heal itself in case of extreme damage, but it doesn't have enough power to defend from external attacks. Heck, it can't even stop Shin-Ra from extracting Mako Energy.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2015, 04:04:01 pm »

On-topic, I don't really know why General Leo is popular. I've only played FF6 once, but apart from the moment he decides to turn against Kefka, I have no memories of him at all. What does he do besides that?

He has Shock, which was an always multi target non-elemental equivalent of Fire/Ice/Bolt 3. It hurts. A lot.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

realworksuks

• https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2015, 11:44:03 pm »
I think this is a really cool idea.  I'll be checking it out.  Appreciate the idea and the time you put into it.
Check out my gaming Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks

semicolin

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2015, 01:58:57 pm »
I've really been enjoying this hack so far. I love the little nuances you've added to the script for clarity ("Go see your friend, the king"), and I can't wait to encounter the alternate scenarios you've added.

Right now I have just left the Returner's hideout and I'm on the raft with Banon. However, I noticed that Banon's "Pray" command (another nice alteration) literally does nothing. Was this intentional? Is it just me? I am playing your latest release (3.1).

abyssonym

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2015, 01:56:50 am »
Just out of curiosity, what is the technical limitation that prevents adding an extra character? I seem to recall there was always two extra slots when changing characters in the airship.
The biggest problem is that there isn't any one place where you can fix it up to allow for a 15th character. The character select screen can display 16 characters no problem, but there are many, many places in battle events and map events where the game is hard coded to check only the first 14 characters... sometimes at the ASM level.

For example, when recruiting a character in the World of Ruin, the character will join your party immediately if your party isn't full already. However, if Leo is in your party, he doesn't get counted, so you can end up with five people in your party. One time I even exploited this bug to get permanent Magitek status from Cyan's dream.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2015, 02:15:16 pm »
The biggest problem is that there isn't any one place where you can fix it up to allow for a 15th character. The character select screen can display 16 characters no problem, but there are many, many places in battle events and map events where the game is hard coded to check only the first 14 characters... sometimes at the ASM level.

For example, when recruiting a character in the World of Ruin, the character will join your party immediately if your party isn't full already. However, if Leo is in your party, he doesn't get counted, so you can end up with five people in your party. One time I even exploited this bug to get permanent Magitek status from Cyan's dream.

As in perma magitek armor?

abyssonym

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2015, 03:29:37 pm »
Yeah, if you use the airship glitch to bring Leo into the World of Ruin, then start Cyan's dream sequence with 5 people in your party, in the cave segment, the game will give Magitek status to only the first three characters in your party. Then, when you leave the cave, it will remove the status from the first three characters. So, if you change your party order, you can keep the status.

Then if you find an enemy with Rippler such as Reach Frog, you can swap the status between your characters. I gave Magitek status to Terra and wrecked everything with TekMissile and Bioblast.

semicolin

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2015, 11:01:51 pm »
Is anyone else playing this? I have actually encountered a game-stopping crash (unless somehow it's just me). In Locke's scenario, right after Celes joins. When I cast Ice1 with Celes, the game crashes. Can anyone else confirm or deny? I have reloaded my save several times (actual save, not savestate), and I can always play until I decide to cast Ice1.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2015, 07:19:29 am »
What emulator are you running?

semicolin

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2015, 01:40:28 pm »
I normally use SnesGT .230 beta 7. I also tried loading my game in Snes9x to see if the emulator was the problem, but the issue still occurred. I did also just double-check and I did apply the patch to a headered Final_Fantasy_III_(U)_(V1.0)_[!] rom, so I don't think that would be the issue either. Although perhaps I should try patching a 1.1 rom instead since the readme says that's what is recommended.

November 01, 2015, 03:24:02 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
That was it. I patched a 1.1 rom and now Banon behaves properly and Ice1 does not crash the game. The author may want to be aware that a 1.1 rom is apparently needed for patching and not a 1.0 rom.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 03:24:02 pm by semicolin »

Endymian

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2015, 12:18:53 am »
Edit: Nevermind.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:32:11 pm by Endymian »

Endymian

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2015, 10:14:16 pm »
...hello?  :-\