News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV Graphics Update (SNES)  (Read 70031 times)

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Graphics Update (SNES)
« Reply #180 on: February 05, 2016, 09:06:03 pm »
I mean, why did Square decide to turn him purple and (finally) put some horns on his helmet, while still not having him look like his portrait OR battle sprite? Granted, the WSC/GBA version of him looks closer to his portrait, and you can actually tell he's wearing his helm with the face part up, but I'm sure they still have him in fish-fin armor during battle.  ;)

You know, it's interesting. The way the palettes are shared is identical to the original. Except for one change: They made DK Cecil share Paladin Cecil's palette, as you noticed. If you just port stuff over straight and leave Cecil the way the original handles things you get this:

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 08, 2016, 06:11:01 pm »
Seeing him in shades of blues looks a lot more badass than shades of purple! Looks awesome like that.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 17, 2016, 02:54:32 pm »
I took a look at the spritesheets from "All the Bravest" some time ago and found that their BlackCat sprite (right) is superior to the WSC/GBA one (left).

All we need now is a new Palette for the Panther swap. Anyone feel inspired? ;D

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 17, 2016, 05:56:47 pm »

How's this look?

Madsiur

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 17, 2016, 09:42:10 pm »
I've been lurking your project for a while. It's nice to see other people helping and this is probably the FFIV improvement project I've been waiting the most for. If it eventually serve as a base for complete hacks will be pretty awesome as well. Well if I ever do a FFIV hack I'll include this for sure. Keep up the excellent work!

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 18, 2016, 11:41:41 pm »

How's this look?

Oh, that was quick - unlike my response! :angel:
Nice, how did you do it? Did you work from the original Panther palette or adjust the BlackCat one somehow?

I've been lurking your project for a while. It's nice to see other people helping and this is probably the FFIV improvement project I've been waiting the most for. If it eventually serve as a base for complete hacks will be pretty awesome as well. Well if I ever do a FFIV hack I'll include this for sure. Keep up the excellent work!

Yes, I hope this will be possible. If someone wants to integrate the finished hack into their own tools/editor I could always provide the necessary info.

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 18, 2016, 11:50:25 pm »
Thanks! It took some work, actually. I used the Record Keeper sprite as a base, then selected different colors of the palette at a time and messed around with the Color Balance and Hue settings in GIMP until I got something that was reasonably close to the SNES graphic.

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 19, 2016, 11:09:57 pm »
Thanks! It took some work, actually. I used the Record Keeper sprite as a base, then selected different colors of the palette at a time and messed around with the Color Balance and Hue settings in GIMP until I got something that was reasonably close to the SNES graphic.

For clarification: Did you mean "All the Bravest" when you wrote "Record Keeper"? I looked at Record Keeper sprites at some point and didn't see anything new concerning FFIV enemy graphics. Has that changed?

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 20, 2016, 09:11:28 am »
Yeah, I did mean All the Bravest. I guess that's one good thing to come from that pile of crap. : P

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 20, 2016, 04:19:00 pm »
Yeah, I did mean All the Bravest. I guess that's one good thing to come from that pile of crap. : P

Indeed! ;)

I have a question for you guys. You know there are hidden treasures in the bushes of Baron Town. If I keep these exactly where they are I will have to create two additional bush border trigger map tiles (what a word salad!). That's how the game works.

If I however move them one down and to the right, respectively, I can use the standard one and use the two map tiles for something else to get the map closer to the remake.
So what's more important - the graphics being as close as possible or maintaining exact positions of these treasures?

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 20, 2016, 04:31:41 pm »
Tough call...
If we look at this as a standalone hack of FFIV then I would say moving them would be fine.
As the basis for other hacks, it may be handy to have the ability to put treasures at the edge of a grass patch. Maybe. Although it's a small enough detail that that ability probably would not be missed much.
Yeah, I say move 'em in.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 21, 2016, 11:46:54 am »
Tough call...
If we look at this as a standalone hack of FFIV then I would say moving them would be fine.
As the basis for other hacks, it may be handy to have the ability to put treasures at the edge of a grass patch. Maybe. Although it's a small enough detail that that ability probably would not be missed much.
Yeah, I say move 'em in.

I tend towards moving them myself. Keep in mind: There's going to be more than one town tileset, so you'd have options when creating a custom town.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 22, 2016, 06:29:18 pm »
I say move them.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 22, 2016, 09:27:34 pm »
Moving them seems the best idea for this, especially if tile room is already limited.

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 03, 2016, 11:01:35 am »
Thanks for the feedback, guys. :)

So this is where we stand with Baron Town:

There's one map tile left, but I will move on for now for a few reasons...

- Some slight pixel editing should be done due to the different ways the versions handle water
- It makes sense to work on other towns before finalizing anything, to guarantee some consistency
- If I have to look at Baron Town & town tiles for another minute I'm going to throw up!

Time to zip this thing and do something else. If anyone wants to get picky, feel free. 8)

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 03, 2016, 04:04:20 pm »
That looks gorgeous! And this is now completely on the SNES? It shows what a little bit of extra work and shine can do for an old game. I love the original FFIV, but I can't deny that some of its tile choices are muddy or plain. That  jumps out to me a lot more than the original's graphics did.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 03, 2016, 09:50:28 pm »
OK, here's my little bit of nitpicky: the top right corner of Cid's house seems to have missed some shading detail. It's Baron's only instance of "top right building corner in front of wall," so easy to overlook. But it definitely doesn't match the other buildings' top right corners, or the other corners of Cid's house for that matter.

Other than that, I second everything Grimoire said.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
« Reply #197 on: March 04, 2016, 02:35:26 am »
First, I just want to complement you on your hard work. Not a lot of people can stand to do such a tedious job. So you are one in a million, buddy. Keep it up!

the top right corner of Cid's house seems to have missed some shading detail. It's Baron's only instance of "top right building corner in front of wall," so easy to overlook. But it definitely doesn't match the other buildings' top right corners, or the other corners of Cid's house for that matter.

I guess I don't see the shading on the top-right corner of cid's house as being wrong. It seems to match the shadows being cast by the other buildings to me. Maybe if you were to highlight exactly what is wrong, I may see it, but right now it looks perfect to me. Never mind, I see it now. The inner top-right corner shading is different than other buildings for sure.

The only "strange" place I see is where buildings have a top-right corner next to the grass tiles. It seems like the pattern doesn't quite match the adjacent tiles.

This is especially pronounced in the case of the water and grass tiles being adjacent to one of the building top-right corners. I can understand not wanting to make a special tile to handle the grass-water-corner-- especially if the pallete is restrictive, but maybe just making the grass blend better would be good enough.  :thumbsup:

I can only imagine how much better it would have been to play this game with these graphics when I was playing it for the first time.... Probably would have felt similar to the first time I played Chrono Trigger as a child. Sigh... Good times.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 02:42:05 am by DackR »

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 04, 2016, 02:48:33 pm »
That looks gorgeous! And this is now completely on the SNES? It shows what a little bit of extra work and shine can do for an old game. I love the original FFIV, but I can't deny that some of its tile choices are muddy or plain. That  jumps out to me a lot more than the original's graphics did.

I guess we are lucky that the game was remade for the Wonderswan first. As a result it doesn't really go beyond what is technically possible on the SNES. The real limiting factor is the game engine itself. The only way to get the graphics as close as this is to give Baron its own dedicated tile map, as I said.

OK, here's my little bit of nitpicky: the top right corner of Cid's house seems to have missed some shading detail. It's Baron's only instance of "top right building corner in front of wall," so easy to overlook. But it definitely doesn't match the other buildings' top right corners, or the other corners of Cid's house for that matter.

Other than that, I second everything Grimoire said.
The only "strange" place I see is where buildings have a top-right corner next to the grass tiles. It seems like the pattern doesn't quite match the adjacent tiles.

This is especially pronounced in the case of the water and grass tiles being adjacent to one of the building top-right corners. I can understand not wanting to make a special tile to handle the grass-water-corner-- especially if the pallete is restrictive, but maybe just making the grass blend better would be good enough.  :thumbsup:

You guys have keen eyes! Those two items are on my list of concerns as well. Let me point out that these are not the result of poor porting or simplification. It's what things look like in the remake.

Top right corner of Cid's house: At first I thought this was the result of palette limitations, but turns out that's not the case at all. No idea why it's different from all the others. I can change it to look like the others.

Top right corner next to the grass tiles: It's actually both sides. If you look closely you'll notice that they're mirrored. I agree that the grass part kinda sticks out, especially the two horizontal lines at the top. Why they didn't just take part of the grass tile as they did for the walls, I don't know. There are only three shades of green available, but it can be done. I gave it a try and copied the standard grass tile corner over, but I had to keep the top three pixels dark. Otherwise the water transition looks even less smooth, as DackR noted.

Better? Thanks for both the suggestions and encouragements so far! :)

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
« Reply #199 on: March 04, 2016, 03:49:14 pm »
Beautiful. Above and beyond expectation. Love it.