News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV Graphics Update (SNES)  (Read 70503 times)

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Graphics Update (SNES)
« Reply #160 on: January 29, 2016, 01:13:17 pm »
I'm 80% sure Baron Inn is two floors judging how big the building looks from the outside.

Also, just thought of something: when I look at the House Interior Tileset in FF4kster I notice there are 3 copies of the animated candle on the wall tile (with only one of them being different [a Walk Behind type tile]).

Is it possible to set the properties of two of them to be different tiles (since I only have need for the walk behind one) and if so, would I only be able to change them to be one of the other animated tiles?
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #161 on: January 29, 2016, 02:52:47 pm »
Uhhh. That's the Kaipo inn, you boobs. Which is, yes, two floors.

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 29, 2016, 04:21:55 pm »
It's indeed Kaipo, Baron Inn has a carpet under the beds and a higher wall.
Now that I think about it: The house in Village Mist with the secret passage to the Change Rod also has two floors on the same screen.
I never actually thought of Baron as having two floors. The stairs connecting the lower and upper parts are very tiny (a single tile in height)...

Also, just thought of something: when I look at the House Interior Tileset in FF4kster I notice there are 3 copies of the animated candle on the wall tile (with only one of them being different [a Walk Behind type tile]).

Is it possible to set the properties of two of them to be different tiles (since I only have need for the walk behind one) and if so, would I only be able to change them to be one of the other animated tiles?

The two additional candles are redundant, I did replace them with other stuff.
You can pretty much change everything into whatever you like.
Are you familiar with the Tile Properties Tables (the ones that define tiles as walkable/non-walkable/triggers etc.)? I have no idea whether it was ever explained on Slick.

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #163 on: January 29, 2016, 04:40:22 pm »
Oh, there you go:
Code: [Select]
D8200- (1B8000-      ) Overworld Character Graphic Data

Next question is, how do I actually view this? I've poked with TLP and Tile Molester Mod, and I've had no luck getting anything proper-looking in either one.

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 29, 2016, 05:54:30 pm »
Next question is, how do I actually view this? I've poked with TLP and Tile Molester Mod, and I've had no luck getting anything proper-looking in either one.

Yousei's document is based on a headered ROM. Maybe yours is unheadered? Try 0D8000 (3bpp) instead.

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #165 on: January 29, 2016, 07:20:04 pm »
I figured it out, finally. And we may have a problem; DK Cecil, Cain, Yang, Cid, Edge, and Fusuya all use the same field palette, if my limited dicking around is any judge. Paladin Cecil has his own, of course, and both versions of Lydia share one with Palom and Porom, and Gilbert, Rosa, and Tella use one. Golbez has his own, of course, but he never appears as a PC so it doesn't matter.

If you don't want to tweak the colours on the palettes, you could conceivably squish them all onto one 4bpp palette. (There are a total of fifteen colours across the four PC field sprite palettes, with the Rosa/Gilbert/Tella palette being the only one where half of it is unique; the other three share orange and a shade of blue, and all four use transparent, black, and two skin tones in the same slots.)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 12:03:48 am by Kiyoshi Aman »

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2016, 05:07:19 am »
I did the 4bpp overworld sprites hacking some time ago, actually. The only reason I stopped working on townspeople is that I became aware of the necessary redoing of the palette swaps. I wasn't in the mood for that.

Maybe Vanya comes up with something. You can always adjust the palettes from there, I'd suggest.

azidahaka

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 30, 2016, 12:24:52 pm »
You should write a tutorial or make some video about your work it's fascinating!

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 30, 2016, 06:14:56 pm »
I did the 4bpp overworld sprites hacking some time ago, actually. The only reason I stopped working on townspeople is that I became aware of the necessary redoing of the palette swaps. I wasn't in the mood for that.

Maybe Vanya comes up with something. You can always adjust the palettes from there, I'd suggest.

I'll have it done by Monday! :D

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 31, 2016, 10:15:40 am »
You should write a tutorial or make some video about your work it's fascinating!

Thanks. It's really quite simple once you understand the basics of copying graphics into VRAM. I think I'm going to write down how to display a 16-color enemy as a starting point.

I'll have it done by Monday! :D

Nice! Don't rush yourself. It's not like this project is nearing completion anytime soon... :angel:

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 03, 2016, 12:28:18 am »
OK.

TheChristoph

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 03, 2016, 10:38:12 pm »
I'm mainly a lurker but I have to say that this looks gorgeous and I wish you luck in this project. Maybe one day FFV will get some similar love. :)

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 04, 2016, 04:46:14 am »
Final Fantasy V already has SNES-level graphics for the most part. The battle backgrounds could stand to be replaced, though.

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 04, 2016, 09:49:04 am »
I'm mainly a lurker but I have to say that this looks gorgeous and I wish you luck in this project. Maybe one day FFV will get some similar love. :)

Thanks! I'm always glad to hear that other people are interested in this as well. :)

Final Fantasy V already has SNES-level graphics for the most part. The battle backgrounds could stand to be replaced, though.

Final Fantasy V is an interesting case. If I'm not mistaken the GBA version is mostly the same in terms of graphics, except for menus and battle backgrounds. What a difference these alone make... I might as well take a look once I figured the ones of IV out completely.

Meanwhile I decided to create dedicated tilemaps for each town, so I can remake them as faithfully as possible. Baron has more variation in grass and trees now. Also there are road border tiles and doorsteps (or whatever they'd be called).

MasterGwonam

• Restricted Access
  • Soldier of Squad Allah
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 04, 2016, 04:03:56 pm »
Looking sexy.

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #175 on: February 04, 2016, 06:40:09 pm »
So I've been taking a stab at modifying the palettes for 4bpp (assuming it's feasible to have one palette per party member), and...I have to say, I really don't like the GBA field sprites' colours. They're too cartoonish. On the other hand, I redrew one of Lydia's sprites to showcase what I was going to do with her (forgot to save before scheduling a reboot, so the rest of my work thus far needs to be redone—oops), and I've had one complaint that it was too low-contrast. Here's the comparison image I made:

(I'm going to have to rip the rest of her sprites from FF4A, though, because the Spriter's Resource 'rip' once again has issues—namely, omitting one of the two 'waving' sprites.)

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 04, 2016, 09:51:36 pm »
The WSC ones are a tad less bright, compared to the GBA version (but not that much).
I'll have to rain on your parade a bit here: One palette per party member isn't gonna work, the remake shares palettes among various party members the same way the original does. I'm rather grateful for it - anything else wouldn't be portable! ;D

I ripped the Wonderswan sprites some time ago myself. I don't trust anyone's rips! :police:

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #177 on: February 04, 2016, 10:07:15 pm »
Well, hell. I think I despise whoever did the WSC sprites. Those are some of the dirtiest sprites I've seen ever. I think in that case I'll try to munge them into two 4bpp palettes, then, using the SNES sprites (and redrawing Lydia based on her WSC sprites because I think they're an improvement over the SNES version.)

MasterGwonam

• Restricted Access
  • Soldier of Squad Allah
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 05, 2016, 03:30:19 am »
The WSC ones are a tad less bright, compared to the GBA version (but not that much).
I'll have to rain on your parade a bit here: One palette per party member isn't gonna work, the remake shares palettes among various party members the same way the original does. I'm rather grateful for it - anything else wouldn't be portable! ;D

I ripped the Wonderswan sprites some time ago myself. I don't trust anyone's rips! :police:

That's well done. Matches the rest of your work.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 05, 2016, 02:22:48 pm »
Those character sprites look pretty epic! Especially FuSoYa's since his bear has more depth now.

Though there's one thing that bugs the shit out of me. It has nothing to do with your porting,
(in fact I'm consistently amazed by your porting progress) but man that DK Cecil sprite bugs the hell out of me.

I mean, why did Square decide to turn him purple and (finally) put some horns on his helmet, while still not having him look like his portrait OR battle sprite? Granted, the WSC/GBA version of him looks closer to his portrait, and you can actually tell he's wearing his helm with the face part up, but I'm sure they still have him in fish-fin armor during battle.  ;)

Those Palom and Porom sprites look AMAZING. Never thought I'd see them not look like fat Velmas! Really makes me want to edit the Fat Velmas in my project so they look closer to your WSC rips.  :)

Even Yang looks better! In the SNES version he practically looks like a naked dude since almost his whole sprite was some color of orange. For my project I recolored him blue after a friend of mine kept asking why a naked genie was in my party lmfao. But yeah, awesome Yang!
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!