News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: At Long Last Women Run the Shadows too!  (Read 21746 times)

Daria

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: At Long Last Women Run the Shadows too!
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2015, 12:13:17 pm »
All three are changed.  I tried to indicate that by posting pictures from all three (though admittedly you can't tell that the one on the street is the gator shaman since I didn't unequip the gun first).

Oh good! Sorry I was just going by what that other guy had posted. Even if some people are complaining, I think the hack is cool. Thank you, I look forward to playing it. (:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 12:18:31 pm by Daria »

HaxorKyo

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2015, 02:06:32 pm »
It's good to see that hacks like this are happening. I don't see why people have to look at this from a political standpoint. There ARE some people that would like to play various games as girls. Just like there are people that want to play Super Mario Bros. as Sonic the Hedgehog.

There's really no difference at all between these scenarios.

I think her comparison to the KKK is plenty justified.

No.

The KKK has murdered, raped and brutally tortured various people for virtually no reason. All Gamergate ever did at worst was troll and send out meaningless death threats.

the Gamergate problem could have been easily solved if the targets have simply turned off their computers and phones for a week. how such a pragmatic solution escaped these people I will never know. The internet as a whole has such a low attention span they would have moved on to something else or fizzled out entirely.

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2015, 02:55:16 pm »
turned off their computers and phones for a week. how such a pragmatic solution escaped these people I will never know.

Perhaps people are too glued to the Internet these days.

I have actually taken steps to reduce my internet usage when I realised that I was using it too much.

But since some people actually fall asleep with their mobile phones in their hands (yes, for real) everyday, it isn't surprising that this happened.

Folks, do you remember what used to be considered wicked funny on the internet?

Things like these:

http://originalhampster.ytmnd.com/

http://www.thenetw0rk.com/features/hatisyours.shtml

---

I still think those things are funny, but apparently people are no longer amused by their ilk these days.

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2015, 03:28:44 pm »
That much is true, some people are flat-out addicted to social media.

https://storify.com/uberfeminist/moving-weekend
(non-GG, don't worry)

It helps to ask yourself why you joined certain sites, occasionally. Was it to have fun? Is it still? Think about what you can do to change that if it needs to.

I forgot to say that the graphics shown in the screens look pretty good to me. Looks like a solid first hack. :thumbsup: (Never played the original game, though.)

Xkeeper

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2015, 04:10:09 pm »
Interesting hack. Reminds me of the ones others made that swapped Link/Zelda and Jumpman/Pauline in other old games, but something like this probably took a lot more work since it's a slightly more modern game with more detailed assets.

Quote from: everyone posting in this thread about the evils of making games more inclusive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmIuXyiEzCE
I run a wiki.

DarkSol

• Forum Moderator
  • IRC Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2015, 04:21:54 pm »
No.

The KKK has murdered, raped and brutally tortured various people for virtually no reason. All Gamergate ever did at worst was troll and send out meaningless death threats.

the Gamergate problem could have been easily solved if the targets have simply turned off their computers and phones for a week. how such a pragmatic solution escaped these people I will never know. The internet as a whole has such a low attention span they would have moved on to something else or fizzled out entirely.

Yes, the KKK has murdered, raped and brutally tortured people. (Although, I wouldn't say it was for "no" reason.  The KKK had reasons for why they did what they did.  They were just insanely misguided.)

Except they aren't "meaningless death threats".  When people say "I'm going to shoot this place up if you give Anita Sarkeesan a platform to talk at.", that's not meaningless, even if the person who's issuing the threats may not have the agency to actually enact those threats.  My comparison to the KKK is in the fact that both Gamergate and the KKK try to silence their victims through intimidation through violence, real or imaginary. (Death threats, burning crosses, etc.)

Turning off their phones doesn't help.  The victims still got doxxed.  Their parents' got doxxed. Threats were sent to others.  It's akin to "Well, if I can't impact you, I'm going to fuck over the ones you love."  I was bullied in high school, and just walking away didn't always get the bully to stop.  In some cases, it made it worse.
It is wrong to try to avoid the struggle against imperialism under the pretext that independence and revolution are important, but that peace is still more precious.

Grinder

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2015, 04:24:56 pm »
All three are changed.  I tried to indicate that by posting pictures from all three (though admittedly you can't tell that the one on the street is the gator shaman since I didn't unequip the gun first).

I think there is a bug/glitch where you cannot load your saved games in this hack. When I save the game in the pocket secretary, then reset and try to load it, it is just a blank screen with redmond barrens music playing. Did anyone else have this problem?

prof1515

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2015, 04:33:21 pm »
I think there is a bug/glitch where you cannot load your saved games in this hack. When I save the game in the pocket secretary, then reset and try to load it, it is just a blank screen with redmond barrens music playing. Did anyone else have this problem?

I just tested it and yes that problem crept up though I'm not even getting the music.  I'm unsure why though since the ROM that I patched had no problems and I didn't have any problems before.  *grumble*

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2015, 04:44:01 pm »
I don't want to contribute to any more offtopic derailment of this topic, so I am putting my response to DarkSol's allegations in spoiler tags.

Spoiler:
My comparison to the KKK is in the fact that both Gamergate and the KKK try to silence their victims through intimidation through violence, real or imaginary. (Death threats, burning crosses, etc.)

There have been plenty of people who have been treated the very same way by people who identify with the other side.

Particularly involved individuals who associate with the movement have often been doxxed, sent death threats, and harassed by the other side.

And if you want to talk about meet-ups and meetings, that movement's meet-ups have been cancelled because people have made bomb threats against the hosters for holding them, for instance.

So this is not only happening to one side here. It's happening to both sides.

That is the other problem with your comparison; it is demonising one side of a controversy with arguments that are equally applicable to the other side.

This is one of the reasons why it is a controversy: because there is a questionable nature about both sides, and plenty of people see that and just want to stay out of the matter because they would rather remain neutral than pick sides in a controversy where both sides have both made good and bad points and neither one is really more reasonable than the other.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 04:54:18 pm by Tharthan »

Grinder

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2015, 04:45:51 pm »
I just tested it and yes that problem crept up though I'm not even getting the music.  I'm unsure why though since the ROM that I patched had no problems and I didn't have any problems before.  *grumble*

Maybe there are other versions of the rom? I dont know.

Thanks though, if you can please make more shadowrun mods... I love them. I have modded mine just for fun using other sprites and replacing other shadowrunners with other characters like hellhounds and yetis. Mine arent as polished as your hack though.

Good work.  :beer:

prof1515

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2015, 05:09:20 pm »

Thanks though, if you can please make more shadowrun mods... I love them. I have modded mine just for fun using other sprites and replacing other shadowrunners with other characters like hellhounds and yetis. Mine arent as polished as your hack though.

Good work.  :beer:

You give me too much credit but thank you all the same.  I have a laundry list of hacks I want to attempt that's a mile long and includes several more for Shadowrun but I fear, nay I know, that my talents are inadequate to the task for most of them.  Hopefully I'll be able to pull off something though.

Grinder

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2015, 05:38:56 pm »
You give me too much credit but thank you all the same.  I have a laundry list of hacks I want to attempt that's a mile long and includes several more for Shadowrun but I fear, nay I know, that my talents are inadequate to the task for most of them.  Hopefully I'll be able to pull off something though.

Do it!
Its rare that shadowrun mods come out. I would look forward to them!

Yidda

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2015, 06:08:56 pm »
Yes, the KKK has murdered, raped and brutally tortured people. (Although, I wouldn't say it was for "no" reason.  The KKK had reasons for why they did what they did.  They were just insanely misguided.)

Except they aren't "meaningless death threats".  When people say "I'm going to shoot this place up if you give Anita Sarkeesan a platform to talk at.", that's not meaningless, even if the person who's issuing the threats may not have the agency to actually enact those threats.  My comparison to the KKK is in the fact that both Gamergate and the KKK try to silence their victims through intimidation through violence, real or imaginary. (Death threats, burning crosses, etc.)

Turning off their phones doesn't help.  The victims still got doxxed.  Their parents' got doxxed. Threats were sent to others.  It's akin to "Well, if I can't impact you, I'm going to fuck over the ones you love."  I was bullied in high school, and just walking away didn't always get the bully to stop.  In some cases, it made it worse.

I don't see why your personal history should allow you to spread unproven accusations like that, especially when nobodies been charged with these supposed threats. I mean you can be charged for cyberbullying now, so why haven't they taken any of these supposed harassers to task?

It's clear your posting comes from an emotional place and clouds your judgement, but hey, that's me speaking as someone who got over being bullied when I was younger and I don't let it get to me anymore.

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2015, 06:17:34 pm »
@Yidda Stop. Stop derailing the thread.

It is annoying and it impedes actual discussion of the hack, and the hack is far more important than this whole back and forth.

icemann

• Two stones, two crosses. The rest is just icing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2015, 12:25:48 am »
If only this was 4 pages on the wonders of the Shadowrun universe and not boring stuff that has nothing to do with the hack or Shadowrun.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2015, 09:49:16 am »

Only U.S. and Japan releases. Though there are bad dump and fixes variants. If you want to be sure, you'll want a rom named like "Shadowrun (U) [!]"

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2015, 10:55:35 am »
If only this was 4 pages on the wonders of the Shadowrun universe and not boring stuff that has nothing to do with the hack or Shadowrun.

If only the person in charge of writing news articles for hacks hadn't decided to bring up the issue in the first place.

Grinder

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2015, 11:16:53 am »
Only U.S. and Japan releases. Though there are bad dump and fixes variants. If you want to be sure, you'll want a rom named like "Shadowrun (U) [!]"

Thats the one I used. I also tried a...

- Shadowrun (USA).md
&
- Shadowrun (Japan).md

roms but I dont think there are any differences in them. It seems all 3 roms might be same exact rom. (The ones I found anyway)

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2015, 12:12:52 pm »
Thats the one I used. I also tried a...

- Shadowrun (USA).md
&
- Shadowrun (Japan).md

roms but I dont think there are any differences in them. It seems all 3 roms might be same exact rom. (The ones I found anyway)

Did the author not provide any sort of checksum or filesize information about the ROM to be used?

Grinder

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2015, 01:25:42 pm »
Did the author not provide any sort of checksum or filesize information about the ROM to be used?

When I mentioned the bug the author said they just had tested it and had a similar problem.

Also I just noticed this-

It seems when you first start out in the game your pistol ammo is at '00' and fires an infinite amount of bullets without effecting your number of clips or having to reload at all.

(Until you unequip it.)