News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Unknown Castlevania 2 and 3 hacks…  (Read 9305 times)

Vanya

• View Profile
Re: Unknown Castlevania 2 and 3 hacks…
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2015, 02:45:33 am »
I remember all of this!

There was once an unreleased version of my Castlevania Extreme hack that had a good deal of my own custom graphics that were heavily inspired by Thadd's work on the Castlevania Remix hacks. It even had this cool layout I came up with that made it so that in order to get the Stop Watch you had to use each of the other sub-weapons in a specific order. This was around the time that Stake was fairly new. Alas, due to a hard drive crash all my work was lost except for a single hand drawn level layout on graph paper. Actually, I've had it on my mind a lot lately. I'm thinking of reviving that hack and maybe completing the damn thing under a new title. If I had a better understanding of the level structure I probably would have gone back to that project a long time ago. It always bugged me that I was locked into the original layouts.

I remember those pics for Project Wallachia, too. I downloaded every single one I could find on the off chance that I might apply them to Bisqwit's Retranslation pproject some day. I even still have the NSFs of the music you made, Optomon. I keep a playlist that combines those songs with the original ones that inspired a couple of design documents for a classic style remake of CV2.

Damn. All this nostalgia really makes me wish I'd complete my platformer engine already so I can just make the remakes I keep dreaming of. :P

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2015, 12:56:18 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:05:10 pm by Chpexo »

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
imitation and flattery
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2015, 06:04:08 pm »
They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
I do wish that many of the great current & former romhackers would use the power of today's technology and make some great retro-inspired video games.
Because if you don't, others will do it for you and give you zero credit.

I know that you can't really 'own' an art style but come the fuck on.  Really?  >_>
That has Thaddeus's signature plastered all over it!

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2015, 10:18:23 pm »
@obscurumlux01: Dude, can you please not change the thread's title everytime you reply?

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2015, 11:10:37 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:59:40 am by Chpexo »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2015, 10:03:15 am »
Looks much more like Cave Story, Hero Core and N+ too. :P
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2015, 02:52:11 pm »
I really fail to see how this is relevant. The style is a bit similar to Thaddeus style in the fact they use a lot of black but they're not even remotely similar aside from that. Why would Thaddeus need credit even if the art was inspired by him (though it probably wasn't)? Are there laws against being inspired by something and not crediting them that I'm not aware?

If you fail to see the similarities (and downright plagiarism of his aesthetic style) then there isn't much I can do to convince you otherwise.
I didn't mention that Thaddeus needs to be credited; that is a faulty conclusion that you jumped to on your own.
I merely mentioned that it would be awesome if the original progenitors of an idea were the ones to profit from it before someone else comes in and takes the credit (and money) for your ideas.
The entirety of mobile games by 'King' are merely wholesale plagiarist copies of already-existing properties with slight reskins and nothing else.  Often times it is a blatant copy & paste and yet nothing is done about it.

My point was that if you don't make money off of your ideas, then if someone else comes along with similar or outright plagiarist ideas ripped from you, it will be too late to do anything about it.  You'd end up forfeiting your chances at entering the markets at all.  The market tends to remember the most popular names even if they came later, but it is always the first ones on the scene that make the difference.

-MineCraft is a shameless clone/mod of InfiniMiner; blatantly admitted by the MineCraft creator.
-Every other crafting game with the same aesthetic as InfiniMiner/MineCraft to try to siphon off some of that money.
-World of Warcraft shamelessly wholesale rips off concepts and ideas from other games and people mistakenly attribute the original idea to Blizzard even though it was done before (transmog, flying mounts, garrisons, threat meters, and much more).

Get in and stake your claim to your own ideas before someone else does it for you.
And yeah, that game I linked blatantly ripped off the unique aesthetic that Thaddeus created in his rom hacks years beforehand.
It would be similar to someone ripping off Akira Toriyama's art style and trying to call it their own.  An artist can have a unique aesthetic that is their 'trademark' of sorts.

Looks much more like Cave Story, Hero Core and N+ too. :P

I take it you're being facetious because otherwise you're completely wrong.  Downfall looks nothing like any of those that you mentioned.  It looks like an 8-bit Thaddeus-style game.  The aesthetic that Thaddeus established lets you know at a glance that they had a hand in it.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2015, 07:08:30 pm »
-MineCraft is a shameless clone/mod of InfiniMiner; blatantly admitted by the MineCraft creator.

InfiniMiner is open source, though. So there is really nothing stopping anyone from "copying" parts of it and making something commercial out of it.

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2015, 04:20:26 am »
Thanks Vanya, I stand corrected.  I was sure that it had been a closed-source project but it apparently went open-source after hackers leaked the code and started making unauthorized mods for it.

I appreciate the clarification.  Learned something today ^_^

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2015, 10:15:47 am »
I take it you're being facetious because otherwise you're completely wrong.  Downfall looks nothing like any of those that you mentioned.  It looks like an 8-bit Thaddeus-style game.  The aesthetic that Thaddeus established lets you know at a glance that they had a hand in it.

No, the shading style is different, the games don't have a mostly two color approach with obvious dithering, and obviously the animation is nowhere near as smooth and detailed as in Downwell. Downwell definitely has a sprite and effects (explosions, dust) style similar to games like Cave Story, and animation similar to N+ or other flash games.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2015, 11:38:50 am »
Downfall looks nothing like any of those that you mentioned.  It looks like an 8-bit Thaddeus-style game.  The aesthetic that Thaddeus established lets you know at a glance that they had a hand in it.

Weirdly that 2 colour style on downfall reminds me of old spectrum games though I don't think any of them scrolled vertically downward, maybe someone could back port it.  I remember the screenshots Thaddeus did and they were cool, but not these hacks.
A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC