News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Unknown Castlevania 2 and 3 hacks…  (Read 9277 times)

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
Unknown Castlevania 2 and 3 hacks…
« on: October 14, 2015, 06:05:18 pm »
I discovered these unnamed CV2 and CV3 hacks in an old zip file, they look pretty good.  I’m wondering if anyone recognizes these. 

They are both dated 2002

CV2 Hack:

CV3 Hack:

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown Castlevania 2 and 3 hacks…
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 06:09:50 pm »
That has Thaddeus' art style written all over it.  The same guy that did the bulk of the art for Dragoon X Omega II.  He was really big on Castlevania and probably made a few hacks that by now have slipped into obscurity.

Dr. Mario

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 09:19:32 pm »
That has Thaddeus' art style written all over it.  The same guy that did the bulk of the art for Dragoon X Omega II.  He was really big on Castlevania and probably made a few hacks that by now have slipped into obscurity.

Agreed. I feel like I kind of remember him doing the Castlevania 2 hack. I totally had no idea that he gave Dracula's Curse the same treatment. That guy's stuff is still some of the best stuff out there.

Anyways, if you're interested, here's the Castlevania 1 hack that goes with them. http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/8/
What is a man? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 09:35:37 pm »
This is really cool. It's exciting but it's also kind of sad. Think of all of the cool hacks out there that have been lost to the sands of time. For example, this very interesting A Link to the Past hack:

Spoiler:

When inquiring about it I was informed that the files are no longer in existence. Therefore, this screenshot is possibly all that has survived. EDIT: That looks like a piece of toast in that one shot. LOL So awesome...

I don't know if these Castlevania hacks were in danger of being lost or were overlooked but it's cool that they've shown up now. I'll have to check them out when/if I have a chance.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 10:29:23 pm by SunGodPortal »
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 09:59:44 pm »

I came to the same conclusion.  After reviewing what was uploaded to RHDN I actually started to rename the CV2 hack to Remix but then it dawned on me that I was looking at a CV1 hack with a nearly identical style.

I have a lot more hacks where these came from, hundreds if not thousands.  I just started going through them recently.  All dated pre 2005....

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 10:28:50 pm »
Awesome. I can't wait to see what you find. :)
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 10:41:32 pm »
I remember these hacks explicitly.  I'm going to lean towards this being another Slivir X + Thaddeus production BUT I'm going to confirm on the Castlevania Dungeon forums.  Just made an account there so I could ask but I gotta wait for activation.  >_>

I did have an account there but haven't visited or logged in for over 10+ years so I don't blame em.

If you or anyone here has an account there already feel free to pre-emptively post there and ask.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 11:21:47 pm »
Mystery Solved:

CV2 (I checked and it appears to be the same project)
http://www.zophar.net/hacks/nes/castlevania-2/castlevania-ii-remix.html

CV3 (I haven't confirmed yet but I suspect this is the CV3 project)
http://www.zophar.net/hacks/nes/castlevania-3/castlevania-iii-dracula-s-curse-remix.html

I'm guessing these were never finished....  :-\

Sliver X

• LIBERA·TE·EX·INFERIS
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 01:05:54 am »
Thaddeus and I started working on Dragoon X Omega II in 2003, right around the time those were done. To my knowledge, no, they were never finished.

We attempted to start hacking CV2 together after DXOII ("Project Wallachia") but it never got beyond early reverse engineering (Music/Level Data/Various routines like the day/night cycle, weapon behaviors, etc) and preliminary art design. I haven't heard from Thaddeus in about 4 years so I doubt it will ever be more than that, unfortunately.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 01:28:31 am »
We attempted to start hacking CV2 together after DXOII ("Project Wallachia")

I was looking for the youtube demo of that -- is it still up?  Can you link it?

I remember it being gorgeous -- like the trick he did with the forest in the background.

Also, glad to see you're still around Sliver.  Long time.   :beer:

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 10:57:10 am »
There's a youtube video for an old Castlevania 1 hack in a similar style by Thaddeus.

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 01:00:04 pm »
I made a full length soundtrack for Project Wallachia in 2010, with 14 songs. I last worked on the hack in 2013, and was working on an expanded CV2 rom template to work in the editor for this particular game. I nearly had it set up. Thaddeus disappeared from the internet in 2011, briefly resurfaced about a year later, then disappeared again. Understandably, he took down videos of the hack.

Several backups of the game, documents, the editor, and some of the artwork continues to languish on my computer to this day. The level design never got passed a few screens.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 10:35:08 pm »
There's a youtube video for an old Castlevania 1 hack in a similar style by Thaddeus.

It doesn't appear to be uploaded at RHDN or Zophar but I'm happy to say that it hasn't been lost for all eternity:

(I found it in my Hack Stash)

Should I create a patch file and upload this one to RHDN?

Edit:  I just found this CV3 hack "Castlevania Resurrection".  It appears to be a title screen and palette hack of the Japanese version of CV3 "Akumajou Densetsu":

The music appears to be different in the Japanese version also.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:52:47 pm by Grimlock »

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 11:35:36 pm »

It doesn't appear to be uploaded at RHDN or Zophar but I'm happy to say that it hasn't been lost for all eternity:

(I found it in my Hack Stash)

Should I create a patch file and upload this one to RHDN?

Edit:  I just found this CV3 hack "Castlevania Resurrection".  It appears to be a title screen and palette hack of the Japanese version of CV3 "Akumajou Densetsu":

The music appears to be different in the Japanese version also.

That castlevania one looks cool but are all the levels done up to the end of the game? Could be possibly a partial.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 02:27:36 am »
I guess the easiest way to know how far along these hacks are would be to open them up in an editor and have a look.

Optomon, was there any particular irremediable road block with your CV2 project that prevented it for being completed (hardware/software limitations) other than the loss of Thaddeus on the project?   Perhaps it could be scaled back to something less ambitious than originally intended if it got derailed by feature creep.  I'm sure you've heard it dozens of times before but the screenshots look fantastic.  The music you posted for it on your Youtube channel is top notch quality!  If there's a probable path to completion based on what's done and what remains I'd certainly be willing to help.

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 03:23:29 am »
I made a full length soundtrack for Project Wallachia in 2010, with 14 songs. I last worked on the hack in 2013, and was working on an expanded CV2 rom template to work in the editor for this particular game. I nearly had it set up. Thaddeus disappeared from the internet in 2011, briefly resurfaced about a year later, then disappeared again. Understandably, he took down videos of the hack.

Several backups of the game, documents, the editor, and some of the artwork continues to languish on my computer to this day. The level design never got passed a few screens.

Well, ask Sliver X and see if you can't put up a Help Wanted ad and get it completed.  Either that or post up the files in the 'abandoned' RHDN section and that way it is at least somewhat preserved.

I'd love to see all 3 of these Castlevania ROM hacks be uploaded to RHDN.  It would do well for preservation if nothing else.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 06:44:35 am »
So.... here's screenshots from another lost Thaddeus CV2 hack.  This one looks especially beautiful.  I don't think it ever got finished:

http://imgur.com/a/kUrra

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 07:24:27 am »
I remember this one in particular. Those graphics are nothing short of magical.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 09:17:49 am »
So.... here's screenshots from another lost Thaddeus CV2 hack.  This one looks especially beautiful.  I don't think it ever got finished:

http://imgur.com/a/kUrra

Yea, that's the one I was referring to.  It's very interesting to see the evolution in his style and technique over the various projects that he did over the years.  He was quite talented and you can literally see how he developed from project to project.  In his early work you see a more monochromatic look with his designs coupled with a decent understanding of the importance black plays in NES graphics.  As the projects progress you start to see greater depth generated by his affective use of black but still what appears to utilize a mostly monochromatic palette.  In his later projects you really see him achieve remarkable results when he develops the ability to bring color into his style of pixel artistry.  His style and development is worthy of an in depth look by any aspiring graphics artist and even those with experience on their belt.  His story is a great example of how we as artists evolve and shape our styles and techniques, being aware of this process as it happens I think helps us analyse where we are and where we want to go and that it's always a process of evolution.

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2015, 11:34:24 am »
Optomon, was there any particular irremediable road block with your CV2 project that prevented it for being completed (hardware/software limitations) other than the loss of Thaddeus on the project?   Perhaps it could be scaled back to something less ambitious than originally intended if it got derailed by feature creep.  I'm sure you've heard it dozens of times before but the screenshots look fantastic.  The music you posted for it on your Youtube channel is top notch quality!  If there's a probable path to completion based on what's done and what remains I'd certainly be willing to help.

The loss of Thaddeus was the primary road block. Me overcomplicating stuff was a secondary roadblock (I'm getting better about not doing that nowadays). I also was focusing much more attention into Pyronaut, which I'd rather finish before starting/resuming work on anything else.

Those screenshots were leaked by myself to someone a couple years back, can't remember who though. Thaddeus was an ardent perfectionist. He would often revise tilesets, and every time he sent me an update, I said it looked perfect, and then he would send a revision a few days later, which would look equally as perfect.