News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Is there a need for new game consoles?  (Read 10569 times)

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Is there a need for new game consoles?
« on: October 11, 2015, 07:02:48 pm »
So I was reading the SMM thread and someone mentioned the new Nintendo console in the works. This reminded me of a question that has been burning in my mind for a year or two. I thought about bringing this up in the other thread but I'm tired of derailing discussions with something that often is only semi-related. So, here we go...

Is there any need for new game consoles?

Can't they already do enough? What else do they need to be able to do that the current consoles on the market can't? I don't necessarily see the need beyond the marketing necessity of having something "big" to hype every once in a while to create a buzz around your brand name.

Opinions?
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Turambar

• View Profile
Re: Is there a need for new game consoles?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 07:18:35 pm »
As technology gets better, there always needs to be a new version.
Consoles are already underpowered compared to PCs.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 07:40:06 pm »
So I was reading the SMM thread and someone mentioned the new Nintendo console in the works. This reminded me of a question that has been burning in my mind for a year or two. I thought about bringing this up in the other thread but I'm tired of derailing discussions with something that often is only semi-related. So, here we go...

Is there any need for new game consoles?

Can't they already do enough? What else do they need to be able to do that the current consoles on the market can't? I don't necessarily see the need beyond the marketing necessity of having something "big" to hype every once in a while to create a buzz around your brand name.

Opinions?

IMO, this gen seems to be more about milking cash from consumers than most.  The leap to the last gen seemed like that last real meaningful graphics improvement IMO, and I honestly cannot tell the difference from a PS3 and PS4 game when looking at them.  The "social" functionality on consoles is kind of a joke to me too--I mean, I can do all that stuff on other platforms as it is.

At this point in time, I think it's just expected by shareholders that a new system comes out to basically create a new gaming market---and people have been complaining about Nintendo hardware specs forever (I personally like them plenty myself), so it makes sense they would try to come out with a new system.  New generations of systems effectively erase the old market and create a new one (not taking into account used games of course, since companies don't make profits on those)---the real danger is once everything goes digital, and then we have a generational transition.  I doubt companies will be willing to continue storing gamers collections on their clouds, and once support stops for old systems (because this always happens--it's not profitable for companies to do otherwise), what happens to all that digitally stored content?  IMO, gamers will probably get hosed, big time.

Hence part of why I'm going to be waiting awhile to get a PS4.  A REALLY long while.

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 08:18:57 pm »
The only need for new consoles are games that are released for them that you want to play.  The PS4 and XBOX One are pretty decent hardware this time around so the gap is closing to PCs.  If a game is cross released on PC and one of the consoles I'll take the PC version instead.  :)

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 09:23:58 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:09:07 pm by Chpexo »

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 02:15:15 pm »
I've come to the point where I don't think I'll ever buy another console ever again.  I simply don't see the point.  Give me a 360 controller for me to plug in my PC and I'm good to go.

Playstation and XBox are pretty much interchangable.  Sure there's a splash of exclusive titles here and there... but nothing really stellar enough to stand out.  Nintendo seems to be the only one trying to carve out a unique identity, but it comes across largely as gimmicky.  And honestly, the only Nintendo franchise I give 2 shits about is Mario Kart -- and that's not enough to commit to an entire console.

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 08:55:19 pm »
Next generation games are too long. I like quick games that you can pick up and play a fun 5-10 minutes. Android phone games. The quality of the games could be better, though. I haven't bought a console in years...if there's an interesting game, I watch the 'let's play' on YouTube, and then move on with my life (rather than be anchored to a game for a month or more).

I did play Mario Kart 8 on Wii U (at Target), and it was fun...not $300 fun, but...

October 13, 2015, 09:01:02 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Has anybody here bought a Retron5 ? Or similar retro gaming console?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 09:01:02 pm by dougeff »
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 09:47:02 pm »
Next generation games are too long.

I second that.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 11:50:03 pm »
I like longer games, as long as the reason they're long isn't just a bunch of padding (Grandia kind of falls into this category for me, so much filler and things that should've been cut).  IMO I think we can have our cake and eat it too....as long as companies won't charge me full price for a short, quick game

I've thought about getting a Retron, but it just seems not worth it, especially when you factor in those battery save packs are going to die at some point.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 11:57:27 pm »
I've thought about getting a Retron, but it just seems not worth it, especially when you factor in those battery save packs are going to die at some point.

I own Powerpaks for the SNES and NES. The saves will last as long as my CF cards. Of course, in those cases you have to own an NES or SNES. You can find NES and SNES consoles cheap on ebay any day of the week (probably Genesis too). I don't see why people don't just buy these old consoles instead of a pirate consoles that may have compatibility issues. The argument I've heard is "But I want a NEW console so it will last longer". To that I say: the NES and SNES were manufactured back when electronics were made in Japan and lasted forever (as long as they were designed well enough and on't have too many moving parts to screw up). Electronics today are made in China by people who have no incentive to give a shit, may cause led poisoning and are made from the cheapest materials in the known universe.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 12:46:22 am »
Need for New console? Nope. There wasnt any in the last generation either. And the one before that. The promise of new tech? Movie realistic gaming, of course. Like the previous 3 generations of Sony consoles. At least Nintendo earlier introduced something new - no matter good or bad.

You say you won't buy any new console ever? I'll just mention I thought the same thing, but they issued a Fire Emblem on the wii and on the 3DS. I know I won't use these a lot, but I love those games.  :beer:
What turns you on, Disch?

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 01:18:41 am »
the NES and SNES were manufactured back when electronics were made in Japan and lasted forever (as long as they were designed well enough and on't have too many moving parts to screw up). Electronics today are made in China by people who have no incentive to give a shit...
Word.
My SNES is still alive and kickin' at my parents' vacation home, and I literally bought it on the first day they were available in the US. Of course, the only times it ever gets used now are when I go to my parents' vacation home (like, once or twice a year?), but it works just as well as it did 23 years ago (or whatever). And it bears mention that I played the hell out of it back then, including leaving games that couldn't be saved on for sometimes days at a time (paused, with the TV off when I wasn't playing).

Back on topic... I say absolutely not. I mean, who REALLY notices the hardware differences between this and the previous generation? A very small group is probably even aware of the difference in specs. It's basically irrelevant, especially in a day when retro gaming and tablet/phone gaming combine to (likely) be more popular than contempo  console gaming. I've said (somewhere, on some thread) before that there is a significant paradigm shift happening, and the console leaders are not far from the time when they will be forced to adapt. Really, it's only "necessary for survival" for Nintendo, because MS and Sony have lots of different irons in the fire. But I do believe that once Nintendo figures out its new world strategy, it will find a way to succeed.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 02:59:27 am »
I've come to the point where I don't think I'll ever buy another console ever again.  I simply don't see the point.  Give me a 360 controller for me to plug in my PC and I'm good to go.

I kind of feel the same way. The next time I buy a comp it will probably be good enough for me to emulate any system I'm actually interested in (my antique laptop can't handle anything past the 16-bit era in a stable manner) and I'll also have a bunch of PC games to catch up on since I have been ignoring that market for about a decade.

Word.
My SNES is still alive and kickin' at my parents' vacation home, and I literally bought it on the first day they were available in the US. Of course, the only times it ever gets used now are when I go to my parents' vacation home (like, once or twice a year?), but it works just as well as it did 23 years ago (or whatever).

Mine lasted about 20 years and I too played the hell out of it. I've known people who didn't last as long. In fact, I played PS1 for a few years and then got turned off to new games for a long time so I kept playing my SNES regularly up 'til a few years ago when it finally bit the dust.

And it bears mention that I played the hell out of it back then, including leaving games that couldn't be saved on for sometimes days at a time (paused, with the TV off when I wasn't playing).

Haha Me too. I remember a number of times playing a game and having to go to bed because it was a school night, pausing, turning off the TV and then picking the game back up after I got home from school the next afternoon. I bet more modern consoles would overheat if you did that.

Back on topic... I say absolutely not. I mean, who REALLY notices the hardware differences between this and the previous generation? A very small group is probably even aware of the difference in specs.

I didn't actually begin thinking about this question until I started playing PS2 more. After that I thought "Okay, with the next console most of the hardware will probably be as good as it would ever realistically need to be and anything beyond that will just be excess". After seeing some PS3 games I can't say that my opinion has changed. I'm reminded of a Let's Play I was watching of a PS3 title and the player made a comment suggesting that the graphics were sub-par. They weren't. They were fucking amazing and beautiful (I wish I could remember the name of the game). My guess was that the guy spent so much time in the industry that he was confusing quality with "well, the new system can do more".

It's basically irrelevant, especially in a day when retro gaming and tablet/phone gaming combine to (likely) be more popular than contempo  console gaming. I've said (somewhere, on some thread) before that there is a significant paradigm shift happening, and the console leaders are not far from the time when they will be forced to adapt.

To that effect, it appears that games no longer have to be 70 hour affairs. I think games have become too bloated in this past decade. My guess is that mobile and retro games will help trim some of that fat.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 04:50:29 am »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:07:11 pm by Chpexo »

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 05:27:15 am »
We have a ways to go for blockbuster games to approach realism in texture quality and the like.
Of course their budgets will become more unsustainable than they already are long before that happens.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 07:09:09 am »
The original two Zeldas were very cryptic but many of the secrets we take for granted now. Because many of us have had exposure to these old games for years, we are skilled with the games to the point that they're not difficult to us or we haven't played them in awhile that we forget their flaws.

Not to mention in those days everyone just relied on Nintendo Power and such things to tell them how to play those cryptic games (or at least heard about how to get through the cryptic shit from someone who did via mouth to mouth).

I personally wouldn't want to replay 99,9% of the SNES library if you paid me for it. I can't stand the game design from back then.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 08:33:36 am »
My friend has believed for years in the whole "PC Master Race" thing when I was always a console guy. That was, of course, until I finally got a Steam account and took advantage of their sales. I have a Wii U, a 3DS XL, PS3, and Xbox 360, but I see no need to get the new consoles, YET.

That same friend though, just got a PS4 so he could play Destiny, and now he's been getting a lot of games for that. However, whenever I log onto Steam, he's still playing Everquest II.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 09:34:46 am »
I play 90% PC games myself, but if there is a console exclusive I want to play, I get it, why lock myself out of it over platform fanboyism?

The only difficult question is always how many exclusives I want to play there need to be, before buying the console for it becomes worth the investment. I guess the last gens I pulled the trigger when there were 2 or 3 must-plays and at least as many "would be nice to play"-games again. Current gen still has a long way to go towards that, only console exclusive game I'm dying to play is Bloodbourne. And the new Xeno game on Wii U when it comes out I suppose. But 1 game for each platform is far away from my trigger point yet.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 10:52:29 pm »
The only difficult question is always how many exclusives I want to play there need to be, before buying the console for it becomes worth the investment. I guess the last gens I pulled the trigger when there were 2 or 3 must-plays and at least as many "would be nice to play"-games again. Current gen still has a long way to go towards that, only console exclusive game I'm dying to play is Bloodbourne. And the new Xeno game on Wii U when it comes out I suppose. But 1 game for each platform is far away from my trigger point yet.

This is pretty much my rule as well since I got an X360.  The WiiU was only a slight exception, as I got it knowing there would be a few games I wanted on it in the future--mostly because it was fully backward-compatible with my Wii, so it was kind of like an upgrade of my Wii almost.  TBH, I might be more inclined to buy newer consoles if my already huge physical library of games was playable on new systems as well, and not just available digitally so that publishers can milk more cash out of us.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015, 10:47:16 am »
Something is coming and I am not sure what*, and seen as the result will probably be the result of a collision between the economics/law and technology, I would say art too but eh, it will probably be stranger to my current sensibilities/notions of games than I could probably imagine within the time I care to spend on a forum post like this. That something will probably render the term console as it is currently understood about the same as what arcade port means today relative to what it meant back in the 8 and 16 bit era. Whether that will come to pass within the next three years I am less sure about** and would probably lean towards the unlikely side of the betting table.

*if I was I would be doing something in anticipation of my island to be living on.

**some reckoned mobile phone/tablet setups would and the rate of advancement was considerable, today it is less of a thing. That then leaves law and I can not imagine what sort of scandal could force a change in that period similar to the  Hays Code or comic book code or PMRC ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Vyr1TylTE ), if indeed such a thing could happen in the modern world. I imagine if and when the extent of the game industry's take on Hollywood accounting comes to light it will be unpleasant for some but hardly revolution inducing.

With all that said there is a perception problem for games on non consoles/phones and, as a great album title once read, "give me convenience or give me death".