News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: GBA LZ77 hacking  (Read 1211 times)

Sup_vic

• View Profile
GBA LZ77 hacking
« on: October 18, 2015, 02:35:28 pm »
I used to talk to Spikeman in here, but I've never seen him online again and he never replied to me anymore, but I learned a great deal with him while we tried to decompress Castlevania Aria of sorrow's graphics. But there are a lot of things I'm still missing about this deal and I hope some of you may help me out a little bit.

I'm using nogba debugger for the adresses, vba to get the pal and GBADecmp to decompress the data from the adresses.

1- We gathered that the game is lz77 compressed, there is no way I can decompress ALL graphic files at once and them compress them again, right?
2 - I'd like for one of you to try this with me. I wanted to grab the name of the game that appears as a graphic in the main menu. I tried a lot of times using spikeman's method (http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,15727.0/nowap.html) but I couldn't. If one of you guys can get this done and explain to me how I'd be really thankful.

pablitox

• View Profile
Re: GBA LZ77 hacking
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 03:43:01 pm »
For graphics i'd recommened lz77restructor 2. It can compress and decompress lz77 graphics.
Re taking hajimari no ishi!

Sup_vic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 04:25:43 pm »
really? I have it but it comes with no tutorials on how to use it, can you give me a walk throughtout the process you'd have to make?

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 12:47:12 am »
I'm interested in this too to see if I can screw around with the Super Mario Advance titles.