News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Series of Questions regarding Ogrebattle (Snes)  (Read 1150 times)

lebannen2015

• View Profile
Series of Questions regarding Ogrebattle (Snes)
« on: October 07, 2015, 11:14:22 pm »
First off, thank you all for having this forum for all of the "older" enthusiast out here. I have some questions regarding hacking Ogrebattle.  Here are the following steps I have taken:

Try to find an answer by searching the archives of the forum or mailing list you plan to post to.  I have tried, but the last post is from 2013 with no updates

Try to find an answer by searching the Web. All lead back to this website

Try to find an answer by reading the manual. All of the changes that I have read all stipulate the changes that were made.

Try to find an answer by reading a FAQ. All of the changes that I have read all stipulate the changes that were made.

I have downloaded the ROM with a Good Checksum.
I have downloaded all the Editors and Hacks from this website
I got the editor working through the 383 error but when I save the changes to file, nothing is different. (I am using windows 10, still cant alter the fighter class promotions without editor crashing)

Here are my questions:

1) Do I patch the .smc file or the save state?
2) If the editor is saving the change, why wont it display anything different when starting first mission?
3) What are the steps to Patch this game, I recently patched FF6 with no issues using editor.
4) If all else fails, how do I upload a rebalanced mod patch?

I am not a hacker, I am just wanting to tweak out the game slightly to add a challenge and to see the classes I would never normally use.  Thank you for your time.

Try to find an answer by inspection or experimentation.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
Re: Series of Questions regarding Ogrebattle (Snes)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 11:25:00 pm »
I can't help you personally (Also a slightly older gamer here, but I just play the games), but it might be helpful to list some of the changes you're trying to make?

If my understanding of the hacking is correct, if you're just hacking values in a save file, they should show up relatively quickly, but if you're hacking values in the game itself, it might either A. take some time to kick in, like growth rate changes or B. accidentally goof up something you may not have actually wanted to touch.

But in my experience here, people are willing to help as long as you're specific enough with the issue.  And Ogre Battle is a great game that deserves any attention it can get!

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: Series of Questions regarding Ogrebattle (Snes)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 02:57:12 am »
If you're using OBEdit, it looks like you need to be working directly on a ROM, not on SRM files. You may want to make sure that your ROM isn't read-only (right-click properties in Windows.) You may want to download the utility TUSH and add a header to your ROM if it's missing one, or remove it if it has one. Make sure you're starting fresh with a clean ROM. If the editor is expecting data to be at specific locations in the ROM, the presence or absence of a header can cause the editor to be loading and saving data it's not supposed to.