News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: RE: Licensed Lego Games  (Read 1715 times)

Isao Kronos

• ???
    • View Profile
RE: Licensed Lego Games
« on: September 29, 2015, 02:25:17 am »
Which ones are worth it? I enjoyed Marvel Super Heroes.

Keep in mind, I'd be buying them for PS3/360 (preferably 360 because my PS3 needs a bigger install drive).

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: RE: Licensed Lego Games
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 02:42:26 am »
LEGO Racers was cool. Basically Mario Kart where you could build your own car/driver and winning races unlocks more blocks for customization.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 03:10:18 am »
They are all worth it, but then again they are all the same. So get the one or two that you like the IPs the most of and let that be your fix and then move on.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 07:02:59 am »
The ones that I enjoyed that you should check out are Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga, Lego Indiana Jones and Lego Batman.

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 08:23:50 am »
To be honest, ALL the Lego video games are basically the same game. The marvel hero one is the only one that really stands out as extra good. But, you should have fun playing any of the other games.

I'd go with Batman 2 or Batman 3.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

I.S.T.

• Ten years, still no avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 08:31:47 am »
They are all worth it, but then again they are all the same. So get the one or two that you like the IPs the most of and let that be your fix and then move on.

Wouldn't go that far. The details matter, even if at a higher level of looking at things they're almost exactly the same.

Isao, I suggest Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga and Lego Batman 1+2 unreservedly. Lego Batman 1 is the best selling version for a reason. It's very well done, aside from the fucking water levels(FUCK THEM TO THE GRAVE). Lego Batman 2 was both the first one with dialogue and the first open world one. The flying controls are just as shit as Lego Marvel Superheroes, though. :(

I haven't played the Indiana Jones ones. Might be a better idea to grab the second given it redoes the first three movies into new levels, and includes a level editor(The fact that they didn't continue down that path pisses me off to this day).

The Harry Potter ones are awful for one very simple reason: controlling the wand is shit unless you have access to a Wiimote and are using the Wii version or a PC version and are using Keyboard/Mouse. They just don't fucking work on a controller, period.

Lego Pirates of the Caribbean is decent, but not spectacular. It's also one of the last two to have no dialogue, so it's noteworthy for that.

Lego LOTR sucked. It follows the movie too closely and has little place for humor. The level designs are weak, and it's far too focused on the item mechanic introduced in Lego Pirates. I have no idea if Lego The Hobbit is any better in those regards, but I doubt it very seriously.

The Lego Movie Game(Yes, that's the name) I don't really know anything about other than playing it without having seen the movie will spoil the FUCK out of it due to following the movie fairly closely and including scenes of it as cutscenes.

Lego Star Wars 3 is okay, but relies too much on its battlefield gimmick for the non-main level portions. It becomes a sort of grinding at that point.

Don't know anything about Lego Jurassic World other than it includes levels based off of the first three movies as well as Jurassic World.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 04:45:05 pm »
I played through most of Lego Star Wars, and it was getting mighty tiresome by the end, mostly because I was trying to go for 100% completion.  Between that and Lego Indiana Jones (DS), I have little interest in playing a Lego game ever again.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 05:55:24 pm »
I personally couldn't bring myself to play the entire Lego Star Wars. I have no business in wasting my time with the prequels-based-game, and I rather play "Lego Star Wars 2" alone. Although even if I don't like it it's far better than later titles in this series, and two games in one package is cool too, i'll give you that.

The Indiana Jones ones are okay too, so if you like the original trilogy you can check them out.

I will never understand why they added voice-acting to this series. I saw the games more charming when they relied on visual humor and gestures, and it seems most people doesn't enjoy it either...

I played the Lord of The Rings one on the Wii and thought it wasn't that fun, kind of the opposite. And for some reason the "open world" Lego games work really bad on this system (So this and Batman 2, I think?), and not because it couldn't make them work. The framerate is awful, but it feels like they capped the framerate at a lower speed than 30.

Makes no sense, besides thinking they are ports made without care.

SO, If you have a Wii, the Harry Potter ones are ok? Because I never played one.
In fact the only Harry Potter games I've touched are pretty much the GBC Rpgs (Which are sweet).
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 05:58:36 pm »
The ones that I enjoyed that you should check out are Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga, Lego Indiana Jones and Lego Batman.

I agree. You can't go wrong with those. I'd play those first before any of the more recent lego games. They have started to get away from the humor and charm that made the other titles so good. LOTR takes itself too seriously for example.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

I.S.T.

• Ten years, still no avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 01:40:25 am »
SO, If you have a Wii, the Harry Potter ones are ok? Because I never played one.
In fact the only Harry Potter games I've touched are pretty much the GBC Rpgs (Which are sweet).

The second GBC HP game is pretty nice, yeah. Never played the first.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 03:59:35 am »
More or less like the second, really. Less mini-games, and you only have Harry (But because the game is made that way there is no problem).

What I like about those games is that they take from the book a little more than the movies, which contrasts greatly with the other related video games.
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.