News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database  (Read 5575 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« on: September 23, 2015, 08:07:54 pm »

Update By: RHDNBot

This is an automated message generated by ROMhacking.net's RHDNBot.

The following Hacks have been submitted and approved to the database (in submitted order oldest to newest). Most of those are mapper hacks:

Relevant Link

Granville

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 09:51:05 pm »
I was excited to see a color restoration for the GBA's version of Yoshi's Island, really needed it (this port in particular turned out pretty nasty both graphically and audio wise). Though I think this patch may not be complete. I don't know if I did something wrong or whatever, but only the first level seems to have been restored, maybe parts of some of the others (but mostly any level that shares the tileset of the first level). The other levels still have the bright GBA palette.

Is this the case for others, or is it a problem exclusive to my end?

If it's not just on my end, it might be a good idea to mention on the hack's page that it's incomplete. The hack page doesn't really explicitly state that it's a complete palette restoration, but it doesn't say incomplete either.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 05:50:35 am by Granville »

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 11:15:01 pm »
I think I might give Omega Dragoon a try again with these patches.  I think they'll improve the quality of life playing through them quite a bit!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 12:22:10 am »
Holy crap. That Castlevania hack sounds awesome. RPG mode?!?
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

HaxorKyo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 05:11:07 am »
I love me some Journey to Silius. When i read "Original Sprite" i got the impression that someone had restored all the terminator licensing. Regardless, this looks like a good excuse to replay the game.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 10:05:39 am »
I love me some Journey to Silius. When i read "Original Sprite" i got the impression that someone had restored all the terminator licensing. Regardless, this looks like a good excuse to replay the game.

From the look of it, the original sprite could be converted into a Terminator game like it was intended.  :beer:

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 05:12:08 pm »
I was excited to see a color restoration for the GBA's version of Yoshi's Island, really needed it (this port in particular turned out pretty nasty both graphically and audio wise). Though I think this patch may not be complete. I don't know if I did something wrong or whatever, but only the first level seems to have been restored, maybe parts of some of the others (but mostly any level that shares the tileset of the first level). The other levels still have the bright GBA palette.

If it's not just on my end, it might be a good idea to mention on the hack's page that it's incomplete. The hack page doesn't really explicitly state that it's a complete palette restoration, but it doesn't say incomplete either.
I just tried it and it's definitely incomplete. I started on a color restoration myself a few years back; I wish I could find whatever discussion thread this has so then I can contact the author(s) and provide them with the offsets I have that they apparently don't, such as the BG gradient bytes as well as the intro sprites.

EDIT: I managed to contact ShadowOne333 and gave him some missing offsets. He said he'll work on it some more so all's good.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 06:20:18 pm by Chaos Rush »

xorxif

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 10:36:42 pm »
The Castlevania RPG rom hack was indeed awesome, and quite clever. I played through the entire thing (twice, second quest has some very significant differences,) then PMed the author to ask about it.

He responded right away so he does check his PM's. He mentioned:

> And if you want, you can start the topic about the game yourself, for asking the details or something like that :)

I haven't had time to create a post about it, nor have I had time to try out his other hacks, as somehow I went from too much free time to having a calendar so full it was making my head spin.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 12:24:03 am »

I just tried it and it's definitely incomplete. I started on a color restoration myself a few years back; I wish I could find whatever discussion thread this has so then I can contact the author(s) and provide them with the offsets I have that they apparently don't, such as the BG gradient bytes as well as the intro sprites.

EDIT: I managed to contact ShadowOne333 and gave him some missing offsets. He said he'll work on it some more so all's good.
Yeah I'm sorry about that.

I got the v1.1 patch from tehaxor69 and worked a little bit over that one.
I simply played the first level to see what was lacking, and worked my way to change the palettes of some minor things and the GOAL sprites that looked odd.

I cannot test the whole game by myself due to time constraints, so I would be grateful if people could send feedback to me with SAV and images about what palettes are still left to be restored.

Is 1-1 really the only levels that seems complete with the restored palettes? o.o

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 01:37:59 am »
Is 1-1 really the only levels that seems complete with the restored palettes? o.o
Actually not even 1-1 is fully restored; the background gradient is unchanged from the brightened GBA colors. But that should be an easy fix with the offsets I gave you :P

But really if this project is going to be done properly, it needs to be compared side-by-side with the SNES game. Not trying to sound rude in any way but I don't think 'only fixing what looks weird' is a good way to go at it.

(again, I'm not angry at anyone or anything, in fact I'm really glad that there's interest in restoring this great game)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 01:43:41 am by Chaos Rush »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2015, 02:07:12 am »
Actually not even 1-1 is fully restored; the background gradient is unchanged from the brightened GBA colors. But that should be an easy fix with the offsets I gave you :P

But really if this project is going to be done properly, it needs to be compared side-by-side with the SNES game. Not trying to sound rude in any way but I don't think 'only fixing what looks weird' is a good way to go at it.

(again, I'm not angry at anyone or anything, in fact I'm really glad that there's interest in restoring this great game)

Don't worry. :)
I am aware that I didn't match the SNES colour palette closely.
I just wanted to use the debugger, change palettes and test that I could indeed change them to the value that I wanted them to be.

Take the further hacking as a Proof of Concept if you want, which means that from there the rest of the hacking should be "easy" but quite time consuming.

Tsal

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2015, 03:33:11 am »
Hey, I'm a longtime lurker that's always enjoyed the hacks on this site. I suppose this isn't really the most ideal place for a first post, but it felt logical to ask about a hack in this topic. I've been trying to download the Castlevania RPG hack, but all I ever seem to get is an empty file. I've used this site for years and never had this problem, what gives? I doubt it's an issue, but I use WinRAR.

Granville

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2015, 03:42:49 am »
Glad it wasn't just me with the color hack. I don't discredit your work or anything, i'm actually very happy work is being done on it. Wish you luck. But it would be nice to have a notice in the hack page that mentions it's incomplete.

I tried several levels, and 1-1 was the only one with a mostly complete palette restoration from what i could tell. I also tested the following levels and (except when sharing tiles that had been restored from 1-1), they still had the overly brightened GBA palette-

1-2 (Watch Out Below)
1-3 (The Cave of Chomp Rock)
1-5 (Hop Hop Donut Lifts)
1-7 (Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy)

2-1 (Visit Koopa And Para-Koopa)

3-1 (Welcome To Monkey World!)
3-2 (Jungle Rhythm...)
3-3 (Nep-Enut's Domain)
3-4 (Monkeys' Favorite Lake)

Those were the only levels I tested beyond the first, i get the feeling the other levels are unmodified as well. I could also tell that the the intro was not properly restored either, the one with all the Yoshi's around Mario trying to decide what to do with him (I forgot to check the prerendered intro).

The game's Gamefaqs page has several Gameshark snapshots for a 100% completion if you'd like to look at other levels (no guarantee it will work with your rom file but you could try it). There's an option in VBA to load the snapshot and if compatible with the rom, it will restart the game and create a new battery save for the completed file. You'll be able to tell if it works with your game by checking the file select screen and seeing if there's a cleared one.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/561566-yoshis-island-super-mario-advance-3/saves

There's also .sav files for the game on Zophar's Domain (which I hope isn't a banned site to mention or anything), don't know if they work however (or how much is completed).
http://www.zophar.net/savestates/gba/super-mario-advance-3-yoshi-s-island.html

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2015, 03:07:57 pm »
The irony about the DXOII easy hack is that Sliver-X made an official easy version a long time ago after the initial release, decided the original version was way the fuck too hard and then just made the easy version the default.

September 27, 2015, 03:14:26 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hey, I'm a longtime lurker that's always enjoyed the hacks on this site. I suppose this isn't really the most ideal place for a first post, but it felt logical to ask about a hack in this topic. I've been trying to download the Castlevania RPG hack, but all I ever seem to get is an empty file. I've used this site for years and never had this problem, what gives? I doubt it's an issue, but I use WinRAR.

Might be a sudden referrer issue. Can you try downloading another hack and seeing if it extracts?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 03:14:26 pm by I.S.T. »
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Tsal

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2015, 09:39:25 pm »
I've tried a few other hacks. The DXOI hack seems to extract, though I get some error message anyway, and the xdelta file appears to be 0 bytes outside the RAR file. I don't know anything about xdelta though, so I can only guess what that's about. The Zelda Optimum hack downloads and extracts just fine. There also appears to be no issue with the Mario Clash Controller Fix hack.

Oh yeah, the DXOII hack also appears to be empty, with nothing to extract. I don't know if that helps explain things at all, but thanks for taking the time to respond.

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 05:50:58 pm »
Try updating 7-Zip. Some of the newer versions of archive software permit or even default to settings that result in better compression but that aren't compatible with older versions. I've run into it with both .rar and .7z.

Tsal

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 03:06:08 pm »
I must admit that I didn't have 7-zip, so once I downloaded the program, the issue was resolved. Thanks for that suggestion. I tend to not have programs I don't need, or well, didn't need until now anyway. WinRAR worked well enough all this time, so yeah, I guess 7-zip will be my ace in the hole. I hate having such an old computer, it makes me want to be conservative with everything.

Thanks again.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 01:41:21 am »
Another thing to try is updating to a newer version of Winrar.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2015, 11:16:28 pm »
The Yoshi's Island Color Restoration Patch has been removed?!
Why didn't I get any notification about it?!

I just wanted to submit an update for the patch and it isn't here anymore. -,-
What a turn down.

I can't even access the previous text it had so I can paste it to the new entry.

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2015, 10:07:22 am »
RHDN doesn't host incomplete or beta hacks. You can link to the patch on the forums and keep people up to date there. Once it's ready for a proper release, you can go ahead and submit it to the RHDN database.