News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: MARVELOUS - PLEASE HELP me figure out this tilemap. :p  (Read 960 times)

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
MARVELOUS - PLEASE HELP me figure out this tilemap. :p
« on: September 13, 2015, 01:39:28 pm »
Hey guys! As many of you know, I've been working on getting Marvelous for SFC fully translated and hacked since about February of this year. There are only a few items left in order to finish hacking the game.

One of which is a puzzle that you come across fairly early in the game. The Noses, Bird Legs, Ant Legs, Spider Legs wall text.

The actual tile graphics for this section has been successfully modified (though it's not in it's final state), however, the tilemap is giving me problems.

Other tilemaps in the game are in a pretty basic compressed format. This one does not appear to be compressed, but it's not really in an easy to recognize format either.

Here's the original text:

Here's where I'm at:

The tilemap is stored right around PC Address x2D0D00 in the unheadered ROM.

Here is a savestate that will take you to the correct spot: https://googledrive.com/host/0B7Lih2HxwoqqLS1nWmZXenFRbmkzcUtYcVpWMEN4dw/Marvelous_nbas.zip

The issue I'm having is controlling which tiles are repeated in the tilemap. As you can see, the "NO" from "noses" repeats on several areas of the screen. There are a few more instances of repeating tiles in there as well.

If there is anyone who feels motivated enough to teach me where to look for the answer, I would be immensely grateful.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 06:12:05 pm by DackR »