News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Suggestions for PS2 RPGs  (Read 18252 times)

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for PS2 RPGs
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2015, 04:31:25 am »
Oh, you're doing PS1 as well?

Yeah. Not long after starting this thread I went through the room where I keep all my extra junk and found a spindle of 100 blank CDs that only had maybe 5-10 used. I didn't know what to do with them since I more often use my laptop or MP3 players. Nearby there was my old PS1 so I decided to try and burn a few games. It didn't work out too well because my PS1 is so worn out it barely plays right. I decided to see how easy it was to trick a PS2 into playing burned PS1 games and it turned out to be hilariously simple. Not longer after the nostalgia bug bit me and I've been glued to the PS1 library since. I even went so far as to put all of my PS2 games in storage. LOL There's so many PS1 games I didn't get to play back in the day that it's crazy.

About your backlog, you'll probably breeze through Brave Prove, Chippoke Ralf no Daibouken, Harmful Park, Panzer Bandit and Gunners Heaven (has an English PAL version as "Rapid Reload" btw) very quickly.

Interesting that you mentioned Brave Prove, as that was not on the list. I looked up some screenshots and while it looked familiar I don't believe I've played it before. Looks to be right up my alley. And with Gunners Heaven/Rapid Reload, I tried the PAL version first since it was in english but it didn't display properly (like the whole screen was an inch lower than it should be with the bottom inch cut off) so I went ahead and downloaded the Japanese version.

And the PS1 versions of the early pre-FF7 games are the worst versions of Final Fantasy out there, play the GBA versions if you want.

I think I've had my fill of traditional Final Fantasy's for a while. I downloaded FF Origins because I wanted to replay FF2 but I guess I'll try the GBA version. I forgot that it even existed.

I think I've almost got enough games now. LOL
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2015, 08:10:47 am »
GBA version's likely better for FF2 anyway. FF4's PS1 port is more than adequate. FF5 I had no issues with its loading times with but a lot of people do. Translation was kind of not great, but the source material sucks enough to where I didn't give a fuck.

Just... just stay away from FF6 PSX though. The bestiary, "fancy" swirly effects when going into battle, and sound test aren't enough to make up for how badly they fucked up that port.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2015, 04:50:04 pm »
. I decided to see how easy it was to trick a PS2 into playing burned PS1 games and it turned out to be hilariously simple.

Oh really? How hilariously simple?  :)

If your looking for fun PS1 games, I've been hooked on the Misadventures of Tron Bonne and Xenogears. Moreso with Tron Bonne, though I have to put up with some graphical glitches due to playing on a PSP.

Basically you play as Tron Bonne, one of the gang of pirates from Megaman Legends trying to obtain a million Zenny to pay off her family's debt. Using mechs and servbots (hilarious legoman looking robots) you try to rob banks and steal everything in sight.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2015, 11:44:23 pm »
GBA version's likely better for FF2 anyway. FF4's PS1 port is more than adequate. FF5 I had no issues with its loading times with but a lot of people do. Translation was kind of not great, but the source material sucks enough to where I didn't give a fuck.

Just... just stay away from FF6 PSX though. The bestiary, "fancy" swirly effects when going into battle, and sound test aren't enough to make up for how badly they fucked up that port.

The FF4 port is worth playing because it basically retranslates the Japanese version of the game...which is noticeably harder than the US version, especially the final boss.  When I played it, it was like getting hit with a pile of bricks at certain points that I would have breezed through in the US version.

But really, these days people should just play Rodimus Primals FF4 patch--it's better and does 99% of the same stuff.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2015, 12:47:29 am »

A technicality, but for both Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6, the PS1 extras for the sound test / bestiary / .. were actually separate Satellaview releases for the Super Famicom in Japan.
Aside from (redundant) FMVs and maybe a handful text changes like "Phoenix Dawn", the PS1 versions added nothing aside from load times. And these extras are included anyways in later ports.

And the FF5 script was Woosley's initial draft for a cancelled localization of the SFC version, which they reused as-is. Of course it's bound to suck (the pirate speak is horrendous).

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2015, 01:07:31 am »
Oh really? How hilariously simple?  :)

Spoiler:
I have the final revision of the PS2 slim but I believe this will work on any model. For a fat model, the method is different due to the tray. I'm going to keep this simple. If you need any more detailed info it won't be hard to find (Google is your friend).

*prerequisites*
A: Remove the disc break (I think it just has one screw and this piece is useless anyway, has no effect on performance).
B: Must have at least one legit PS1 disc, doesn't matter which, probably doesn't even matter if it's scratched. In this case the console will only check to see what type of disc it is. It doesn't appear to load anything from it until you choose to start the game.
C: Find a method of rigging the door sensor(s) that works best for your specific model (it varies). In my case, I have a twist-tie with the end folded over connected to a piece of tape. When I want the console to think it's closed I lay the piece of tape over to where the tip of the twist tie goes into the hole in the front right corner where the door sensor is.

*how to trick the PS2 into playing a burned PS1 game*
A: turn it on with the lid open, don't mess with the door sensor yet
B: go into the "browser" menu
C: now that you're there, put in your legit PS1 disc and trip the door sensor so that it will recognize your disc
D: after the disc shows up in the browser, swap it out with your burned disc (it will still be spinning so you may want to use a disc you don't care about in case you goof and scratch it)
E: once your burned disc is in place, highlight the disc icon and press X to load

It's that easy. You could play with the lid open but I'd suggest setting a remote or something of similar weight on top to hold the lid in place *on top of the tape*. Before I started doing that, I once had the piece of tape come loose during gameplay and it crashed the game.

Basically you play as Tron Bonne, one of the gang of pirates from Megaman Legends trying to obtain a million Zenny to pay off her family's debt. Using mechs and servbots (hilarious legoman looking robots) you try to rob banks and steal everything in sight.

I'd heard of that one before but I had no idea what it was about. That sounds fun.

The FF4 port is worth playing because it basically retranslates the Japanese version of the game...which is noticeably harder than the US version, especially the final boss.  When I played it, it was like getting hit with a pile of bricks at certain points that I would have breezed through in the US version.

A technicality, but for both Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6, the PS1 extras for the sound test / bestiary / .. were actually separate Satellaview releases for the Super Famicom in Japan.
Aside from (redundant) FMVs and maybe a handful text changes like "Phoenix Dawn", the PS1 versions added nothing aside from load times. And these extras are included anyways in later ports.

About a decade ago I owned both collections (FFIV, V, VI, Chrono Trigger) and couldn't stand any of them because I was used to playing the SNES versions (and had played each recently). I remember annoying load times and in some cases I remember SFX that were down-graded to the point where they sounded like someone recorded them over the phone. I'll never touch the PS1 versions of these ever again. At least FF Origins was a legitimate upgrade, but from what others have said I'm better off with the GBA.

Honestly, FF doesn't do much for me these days. The stories are cliche and 99% of the combat is paper-thin (press A, next turn, press A, etc...). They were great back in the day, but these days I'd be much more interested in seeing someone make more creative use of their engines in a hack.

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2015, 04:01:48 am »
About Phantasy Star Generation 2 english translation, it will be released pretty soon as a public beta (private beta will just be used to be sure the game doesn't have game-breaking bug, so it'll be pretty fast and it should start in a week).

If everything is okay, it'll most probably be released during this month.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 04:07:33 am by Hiei- »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 01, 2015, 11:46:10 pm »
About Phantasy Star Generation 2 english translation, it will be released pretty soon as a public beta (private beta will just be used to be sure the game doesn't have game-breaking bug, so it'll be pretty fast and it should start in a week).

If everything is okay, it'll most probably be released during this month.

Sounds cool. I've never actually played any Phantasy Star games. I never was big on the Genesis. Maybe by the time it's finished I'll have some new DVDs. The pack that I got last Christmas doesn't work with my PS2 despite being the same brand I had used before (I blame China, LOL).

As for the PS1 games, I'm down to my last 2 CDs. I didn't have as many as I thought and 10-15 got eaten up by experiments, a few games that turned out to suck (or were just too ugly to look at) and 2 that I just couldn't get to work no matter what (the US version of Silhouette Mirage always crashed when I pressed  X or start and Gegege no Kitarou - Gyakushuu! Youkai Daikessen just wouldn't make it passed the Konami logo).

So, now that I only have two slots left... Any suggestions? I think I've got enough RPGs for now. I'm interested in any genre as long as the graphics aren't too ugly.

EDIT: By the way... If anyone wants a cute action-RPG ala Zelda/Spike McFang/Mana I'd recommend the Japanese PS1 title "Community Pom". I figured I would mention this since I had never heard of it before last night. Turned out to be a really cool game. More people should know about this one.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 12:20:21 am by SunGodPortal »

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2015, 07:13:21 am »
Phantasy Star Generations are CD games, just for the information ;)

And I can confirm it might  be released in a few days as a public beta, as I just received the private one in my email :)

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2015, 12:17:27 pm »
Phantasy Star Generations are CD games, just for the information ;)

And I can confirm it might  be released in a few days as a public beta, as I just received the private one in my email :)

I really, really wished I had a more powerful laptop now.  Mine can't really run a PS2 emulator very well, but I LOVE PS2, even the original version

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2015, 03:19:14 pm »
The english translation is finally out and can be downloaded on PSCave website.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2015, 02:57:44 pm »
The english translation is finally out and can be downloaded on PSCave website.

I took the plunge and got a PS2 emulator to (mostly) work--this translation is glorious.

One thing for future fixes--on my emulator, all the "x"s have little bars above them in the textboxes.  I don't know if this is something left over from the french translation or something, but its there

Great work on this thing though--I love PS2!

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2015, 06:50:03 pm »
MT, if you're going to post bugs then they should be bugs with the translation; not with your emulator.
It works fine in PCSX2 for both PSG1 and PSG2 without the glitches you mentioned.  You're either using an outdated version or another emulator.

If you have an issue with bugs with the translation then make sure you're playing on original hardware at least (or using an updated emulator).
I'd suggest grabbing PCSX2 from their Orphis BuildBot Git repository.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2015, 07:30:29 pm »
MT, if you're going to post bugs then they should be bugs with the translation; not with your emulator.
It works fine in PCSX2 for both PSG1 and PSG2 without the glitches you mentioned.  You're either using an outdated version or another emulator.

If you have an issue with bugs with the translation then make sure you're playing on original hardware at least (or using an updated emulator).
I'd suggest grabbing PCSX2 from their Orphis BuildBot Git repository.

Well, for the record, I literally just downloaded the newest PCSX2 version today right before downloading the PS2 ISO.  And no, I have no idea whether it was due to the emulator or the translation, but it was showing up above all the x's in the textbox so I figured I'd mention it, just in case it did have something to do with the patch.

No need to get hostile--I really like the translation and just wanted to let Hiei know about the issue.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2015, 07:31:28 pm »
One thing for future fixes--on my emulator, all the "x"s have little bars above them in the textboxes.  I don't know if this is something left over from the french translation or something, but its there

Could you post a screenshot (here or pscave) ?

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2015, 12:20:10 pm »
It looks like it was probably my emulator settings--I saw this particular thing happen when I first started a game, they were showing up, but I went in and tweaked a lot of settings (my laptops a bit old, so I needed to adjust somethings for it to run at a reasonable speed), and now when I tried to get the thing to show up again, it's gone.  Not sure what exact settings would've caused it, but I think something in the default PCSX2 plugin settings triggered it.

Seriously though, good job on the translation--I'm not too far, but I really like what the developers did with the remake, and you guys did a lot of great work on the text