News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Suggestions for PS2 RPGs  (Read 14725 times)

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for PS2 RPGs
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2015, 07:47:44 pm »
I'd also add Persona 2 - dark as shit. I'm of the opinion that they ruined the Persona series with 3
I thought I was the only one! I encounter either of the following camps:

A. "Persona 3 and 4 are godly; wait, there's a Persona 1 and a 2?" (Additional sub-camps: "Fuck Persona 1 and 2," "There are two Persona 2s?", "I only played Innocent Sin because you can be gay in that game," "Persona 4 is the only one I care about, fuck 3 too")
B. "I love all Personas, but some more than others" (Additional sub-camp: "I started with 3 / 4 and went back and fell in love")

I just absolutely despise Persona 3. Whereas in 1 and the 2s, I had only one less-liked character in the playable casts, (Ugh to Brown, Lisa, and to a much much lesser extent, Ulala.) I loathed everyone in SEES except for the heroine--yes, I suffered through 20 hours of Persona 3 Portable--and Theo, who I was trying to get into the pants of. I wanted to replace everyone's Evokers with real guns. Persona your brains all over Tartarus' floor, bitches. People had the nerve to tell me to keep going for another 20 hours, because "that's when the plot picks up." Fuck you, a good game doesn't make you slog through 40 hours of boring shit just to get the ball rolling. Waste of $20.

And how many entries does Persona 4 have now? Seven? Enough with that garbage.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2015, 08:19:25 pm »
I thought I was the only one! I encounter either of the following camps:

A. "Persona 3 and 4 are godly; wait, there's a Persona 1 and a 2?" (Additional sub-camps: "Fuck Persona 1 and 2," "There are two Persona 2s?", "I only played Innocent Sin because you can be gay in that game," "Persona 4 is the only one I care about, fuck 3 too")
B. "I love all Personas, but some more than others" (Additional sub-camp: "I started with 3 / 4 and went back and fell in love")

I just absolutely despise Persona 3. Whereas in 1 and the 2s, I had only one less-liked character in the playable casts, (Ugh to Brown, Lisa, and to a much much lesser extent, Ulala.) I loathed everyone in SEES except for the heroine--yes, I suffered through 20 hours of Persona 3 Portable--and Theo, who I was trying to get into the pants of. I wanted to replace everyone's Evokers with real guns. Persona your brains all over Tartarus' floor, bitches. People had the nerve to tell me to keep going for another 20 hours, because "that's when the plot picks up." Fuck you, a good game doesn't make you slog through 40 hours of boring shit just to get the ball rolling. Waste of $20.

And how many entries does Persona 4 have now? Seven? Enough with that garbage.

I guess I'm more like a B. That said, 3 + 4 have their flaws but I like playing them (from time to time). One huge complaint about P4: you don't get to play the actual game part until a few hours in. That's a long fucking wait. I don't remember how long the wait in P3 was though.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Daria

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2015, 02:17:24 pm »
Fuck you, a good game doesn't make you slog through 40 hours of boring shit just to get the ball rolling.

That argument usually gets a big "fuck you" from me as well. If a game fails to be fun within the first two hours I'm out. Sometimes less. There's literally hundreds of other games I could be playing, I don't have time for that crap.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2015, 04:06:50 pm »
I will defend P3 and 4--well, I liked them at least.  I never went back to play 1 and 2, partially because Persona, regardless of the game, is LONG, and I didn't want to have to track down physical copies of really inferior versions of the game (especially US P1--good god I don't know what they thought was so wrong with all the characters!).  Are there even PS1 ISOs for less awful English versions?  I would honestly play fixed versions of the US editions, but I don't know if anyones hacked those, and I'm not buying a PSP.

I do legitimately like P3 and 4, but for slightly different reasons.  I do enjoy their plots quite a bit, but I only play the original versions of each--FES and Golden basically make both games obscenely simple, and I thought they were kind of easy to begin with.  The ending of 3 is probably among my favorites too.  I totally agree all this spin-off stuff is ridiculous too--it's about as bad as FF7, except they aren't generally ret-conning stuff.

That said, I suppose I can see where people come from with their complaints about them.  I have a pretty high tolerance for training wheel portions provided it gets better, and I think they both do.  I know I've already complained about Grandia 3, but if there was a 3 hour "set stuff up" story phase with no gameplay, I may have saved myself most of the 50 hours of pain and suffering

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2015, 05:09:48 pm »
Persona 1+2 are unplayable for me. Terrible terrible level design. It's just bland and empty corridors. No landmarks of any kind, no soul. Boring battles and a stupid recruitment system. Perhaps they have a good story, but I couldn't get past an hour of either to find out before I had to quit or puke.

P3 & P4 also have terrible dungeon presentation, but the floors are very short and the battles are great (as long as you don't use AI control, in P3's case that means playing Portable afaik). I really like Persona 4 because it has a fantastic cast and a strong story. It's a really engaging mystery plot. Quite atypical from what you usually get. P3 on the other hand, I absolutely despised when it came out. I'm actually playing P3P right now and while I don't hate it anymore, it's still far far inferiour to P4. The cast is much weaker on every level and the story is a joke. No it doesn't get better after 20 hours, whoever told someone that lied to him. The plot of P3 just sucks, it's as simple as that. Zero plot for 60% of the game. Than a "shocking" twist that doesn't affect anyone because it wasn't setup at all and the character it applies to was so bland that no one would give a shit. Not to mention the direction the bad guy turns to is "I want to destroy the world just because ".
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2015, 12:42:36 am »
I've encountered an interesting dilemma. I've burned maybe 30 games, have at least 15-20 discs left (and no other use for them) but I only have one PS1 memory card. I can't play any more games than I have save slots (unless they don't save).

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2015, 01:14:00 am »
I bought 5 new 1mb PS1 memory cards for $2 a few months ago...
There has to be a better life.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2015, 02:36:39 am »
I bought 5 new 1mb PS1 memory cards for $2 a few months ago...

I'm stuck with one for now though and I think it only has 128kb total. Here's what's on my plate at the moment:

Chocobo Racing
Chocobo's Dungeon 2
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
SaGa Frontier
Saiyuki: Journey West
Threads of Fate
Valkyrie Profile

I'm finally able to play Valkyrie Profile and it's nice to enjoy a game that I've waited so long to play and not have it be a let-down. I wish there was an undub for the PS1 version. I don't have a PSP and it appears that the US version for the PS1 is superior anyway.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2015, 09:49:02 am »
Yeah, SGP, you definitely need to get at least 1 more memory card, especially since some games take up 2 blocks of data for saves instead of 1 for the PS1.  I know I need 3 to hold all my saves for PS1 games, and 2 for my PS2 games--and I only have a handful of games I keep multiple saves for.

Isao Kronos

• Dogman
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2015, 09:59:22 am »
I find it interesting in any discussion of Lunar hardly anyone mentions the PSP version as a thing that exists, I generally forget it does lol

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2015, 12:13:36 pm »
EXCEPT THE SEGACD ORIGINAL IS ENTIRELY IN CAPITAL LETTERS ONLY. FOR THAT I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT. IT IS VERY ANNOYING TO READ FOR A LARGE RPG.

I also think the PS1 version's enhanced graphics, expanded voice acting, and cut scenes are a worthwhile upgrade.

Next RPG translation I'm doing in all-caps just for NC.  ;D
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Isao Kronos

• Dogman
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2015, 12:26:08 pm »
DON'T FORGET THE AL BHED

I.S.T.

• Ten years, still no avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2015, 02:18:42 pm »
I find it interesting in any discussion of Lunar hardly anyone mentions the PSP version as a thing that exists, I generally forget it does lol

It's pretty good. Not as good as the PSX version, but good.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2015, 02:30:26 pm »
I will defend P3 and 4--well, I liked them at least.  I never went back to play 1 and 2, partially because Persona, regardless of the game, is LONG, and I didn't want to have to track down physical copies of really inferior versions of the game (especially US P1--good god I don't know what they thought was so wrong with all the characters!).  Are there even PS1 ISOs for less awful English versions?  I would honestly play fixed versions of the US editions, but I don't know if anyones hacked those, and I'm not buying a PSP.
Being quite honest here, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment's worst aspects are its voice acting (Most of the actors are union veterans by now.) and the fact that it kept the Revelations: Persona names. Persona 2: Innocent Sin was never brought over, so you'd have to use Gemini's translation for it.

As for Revelations, no, you're either stuck with the Americanized version or the PSP version. If you have a PS3 or a PS4 controller and appropriate charging wires, you can pick up a PlayStation TV for like $40, assuming you live in the US? Everything's on PlayStation Network. You wouldn't be able to play the original P3 FES or P4 on it, but you could get Persona 1, Persona 2: Innocent Sin, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, (PSP port wasn't allowed to be brought over, so if you want it in English, you're pretty much stuck with the PSone version either way.) Persona 3 Portable, and Persona 4 Golden all on the same system.

I was trying to do a minor modernization update for Revelations: Persona; put in stuff like the current series standard of item and spell names, but it didn't pan out. So I'm trying to settle for a text cleanup... The script is surprisingly not that bad. When I first played it, I thought it was atrocious, but going back to it after playing Persona 1 Portable, it's actually pretty well-translated and decently written.

It's got a bunch of horrible typos, the names of spells, demons, Personas, and items were changed, and of course the Americanizations and graphical changes are there, but that's honestly it. The one thing you'll miss is when you meet Boy with Earring in Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. (He uses the Persona 1 protagonist's original design, but of course Revelations: Persona players wouldn't know who the hell he is due to the redesign.)

Revelations is like $70 used, disc only though. I wouldn't recommend getting it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 07:23:13 pm by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2015, 07:06:38 pm »
Yeah, SGP, you definitely need to get at least 1 more memory card, especially since some games take up 2 blocks of data for saves instead of 1 for the PS1.  I know I need 3 to hold all my saves for PS1 games, and 2 for my PS2 games--and I only have a handful of games I keep multiple saves for.

For sure. Some of these games I'm gonna want to keep the saves. If nothing else, it means I'll have to finish what I start. I actually kinda like that (for now).

As for PS2, I have one mem card and while I don't remember how much space it has I do know that it is big enough that I'll never need another one unless I wanted to make a copy for backup.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2015, 09:33:24 pm »
Now that I think of it, you're probably right on the PS2 Memory Cards.  I think one of my cards is pretty much just designated my SaGa card for Romancing SaGa and Unlimited SaGa.

I won't recommend the latter, but if you want to take a look at it, I can confirm it is VERY different.  It's also VERY difficult, though not always in a good way...  Hell, it may just be worth looking at for just the artwork--even most people that hate the game with the passion of 1000 suns dig the watercolor designs.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2015, 12:41:41 am »
Well, I've saved with all of the games I listed above except Chocobo's Dungeon 2 (though I did try it out, it's fun, pretty much Fushigi no Dungeon) and I still have about 40kb left, so I guess I can add maybe 3-6 more games depending on how many slots they take up.

Hell, it may just be worth looking at for just the artwork--even most people that hate the game with the passion of 1000 suns dig the watercolor designs.

It is gorgeous.

Daria

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2015, 01:46:21 am »
You're still on Rhapsody? You realize it' a 10 hour game tops. Run through, beat it, free up a save slot.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2015, 02:32:53 am »
You're still on Rhapsody? You realize it' a 10 hour game tops. Run through, beat it, free up a save slot.

heh I haven't been able to finish it yet because I've been spending so much time trying out this mountain of games:

Spoiler:
Akumajou Dracula X: Gekka no Yasoukyoku
Alundra
Azure Dreams
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
Bomberman
Brave Fencer Musashi
Breath of Fire III
Breath of Fire IV
Castlevania Chronicles
Chocobo Racing
Chocobo's Dungeon
Darkstone
Dragon Valor
Final Fantasy Origins
Final Fantasy Tactics
Grandia
Gunners Heaven
Harmful Park
Legend of Mana
Lunar: Silver Start Story Complete
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete
Nage Libre: Rasen no Soukoku
Panzer Bandit
Persona 2: Tsumi - Innocent Sin
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
SaGa Frontier
SaGa Frontier 2
Saiyuki: Journey West
Silent Bomber
Silhouette Mirage
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Suikoden
Suikoden II
Tales of Destiny
Tales of Destiny 2
Tales of Phantasia
The Adventure of Little Ralph
Threads of Fate
Top Shop
Torneko: The Last Hope
Valkyrie Profile
Vandal Hearts

I played Rhapsody for about 3 hours just when I was getting started on this PS1 kick. Mostly though it's just been burn, play for a bit, burn another, play for a bit, ad nauseum. It was a spindle of 100 CDs so I've been burning and trying about a handful of games a night (which is a slow process with so many RPGs). For the past two nights though I've actually been playing Valkyrie Profile quite a bit. That game kicks ass.

I'm truly surprised at how many games there were in 2D or with sprite art (which is what I've mainy been focusing on). I wish I had known about these back in the day. I was so sick of seeing nothing but the ugliest 3D games you could imagine. It seemed like that's all there was and it made me want to puke. I can't tell you how disgusted I was with gaming in that era after playing so many charming and beautiful SNES games. It was both exciting and infuriating.

EDIT: + Tomba! and Warzone 2100
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 04:00:31 am by SunGodPortal »

GHANMI

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2015, 04:02:26 am »
Oh, you're doing PS1 as well? So many good obscure RPGs for that one. There's the stuff by ex-Quintet staff (Lakka, Grandstream Saga) and anything Love-De-Lic (like a game that was Majora's Mask before Majora's Mask, with a peeing button and some offbeat craziness).

About your backlog, you'll probably breeze through Brave Prove, Chippoke Ralf no Daibouken, Harmful Park, Panzer Bandit and Gunners Heaven (has an English PAL version as "Rapid Reload" btw) very quickly.
But you might want to play Little Ralph on the hard "normal" setting, while you'll have only 1HP it's better than having the 3 last worlds locked out from your playthrough.
And the PS1 versions of the early pre-FF7 games are the worst versions of Final Fantasy out there, play the GBA versions if you want.