News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Suggestions for PS2 RPGs  (Read 14924 times)

magictrufflez

• View Profile
Re: Suggestions for PS2 RPGs
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2015, 07:47:57 pm »
There are few video games that have literally made me laugh while playing them---The Bards Tale made me do so repeatedly.  IMO the gameplay gets pretty repetitive near the end, but yes, it is definitely worth all your attention when you get to it SGP.

If you'd like some predominantly (because there weren't a whole lot that didn't use some kind of 3D something in their games) 2D PS1 games, I can definitely recommend a few of those too, but I'll hold off since this is technically the PS2 thread.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2015, 08:54:59 pm »
If you'd like some predominantly (because there weren't a whole lot that didn't use some kind of 3D something in their games) 2D PS1 games, I can definitely recommend a few of those too, but I'll hold off since this is technically the PS2 thread.

That would be cool. If we need an excuse we can say "Well, you can play them on a PS2". :P Suggestions welcome. Part of the reason why I'm focusing on 2D games is because for the longest time I wanted to try Chrono Cross but when I finally did it was just so hideous I couldn't look at it. Gave me flashbacks of the late 90's when I stopped paying attention to new games because they were all so ugly. There are late NES games that look less dated a lot of PS1/N64 games.

Anyway, I found a bunch of blank CDs when rifling through my junk room and since I listen to most of my music via my laptop or MP3 player these days I figured I'd use them for all the PS1 games I missed out on. I never knew it was SO easy to get them to play on my PS2 slim. It's shocking.

So far I've been replaying Castlevania: Symphony of the Night via the translation of the Japanese version. That's not really an RPG but it is 2D. I actually still have my legit copy SotN (it leaves only after I'm dead) but I wanted to play the JP version to spice things up. Castlevania Chronicles is fun too. That game doesn't seem near as hard as people say it is. Then again, I'm a Castlevania maniac.

I've also been playing Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure (I know, I know... Go easy on me.) and while it's way too easy (might try the hard setting) it is nice to look at and has very entertaining dialogue.

Last night I discovered a strategy-RPG called Saiyuki - Journey West and tried it just a little. Seems cool so far. I like the story.

Used to have Final Fantasy Origins so I went ahead and burned that. I hated the SNES ports for PS1 though (FF IV, V, VI, Chrono Trigger). Load times where they previously did not exist is like nails on a chalkboard.

There's supposed to be a Nage Libre game for PS1 but I have yet to track it down. Neither it or the SNES entry made it to the west but I've played the SNES version and it's simple enough to play without a translation. It's a strategy game where all of your units are school girls. It's so cool. Your unit type is determined by school clubs. Some girls attack with basketballs, bookbags, tennis balls, etc. I love that sort of quirkiness.

This post is getting long so I'll just end it here.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2015, 10:38:30 pm »
I too have a legit disc-copy of SotN.  I'm not going to be buried with it, but I definitely was stunned to find it at a local used game store.  And you will get no judgement from me about Rhapsody--I strongly considered playing it once, but I think I got sidetracked by something else.  I'll admit to playing Eternal Sonata, and enjoying it a lot if it makes you feel better.  I also hated Chrono Cross, but mostly because the music was generally awful and you really couldn't understand the plot even with the "good" ending.  I'm down fr some complex story, but they went way over that line and made it too convoluted to follow IMO.

As to (mostly) 2D PS1 games:

Breath of Fire 3/4--> BoF3 is most people's series Favorite (except Gideon and myself, obviously).  The dragon transformations and class system are probably the best in the series, but the plot goes south near the end.  BoF4 is a good, solid, traditional RPG, but it just never felt very much like a BoF to me.  There is a plot twist that is really, really well done, but I play it as if it has no real relation to other BoF games, because it really doesn't.

Valkyrie Profile-->  This is probably one of the few games I enjoy the voice acting for (just youtube some of the VA clips, especially Lezard), and that includes more modern games.  VP has a unique take on Nordic mythology, and has a number of gameplay elements I really like.  It also has one of the best difficulty settings on any RPG I've played.  Higher difficulties mean less experience per battle, but you get access to more areas with potentially better equipment.  There is no reason to play this game on something other than High difficulty settings.

Star Ocean:  The Second Story-->  While not the true Action RPG the later games are, this is by far my favorite SO game.  The game systems are great, and I personally like the story a lot.  I think the PSP version may be SLIGHTLY better, but I'm a real sucker for some of the cheesy in-battle VA work.

Grandia--> A lot of people like this game better than its sequel, but I'm not quite in that camp.  The game is pretty good, with a unique leveling and battle system, but the plot kind of wanders a lot during the first part of the game, and there's some heavy-handed melodrama near the end.  All said though, most of the meat of the plot is good, and it's really worth playing--again, there are some very worthy cheesy VA lines (almost everything from Gadwin, especially his "Dragon King Slice" line").

Tales of Destiny 2/Tales of Eternia : These are the same game, but when it first came out, NB ran into copyright issues with the He-Man people, so they change the name.  This is probably my favorite Tales game--the battle system is the 2D action line system (or whatever they call it), and the artwork throughout is easily some of the best on the PS1.  The story I think is underrated, and the game can be quite difficult at times if you don't know what you're doing.  Definitely worth your time.

FF Tactics--> Now, I don't like this game nearly as much as some people (It steals a ton from Tactics Ogre, I pretty much hate the plot, and the ending is godawful), but this is THE strategy RPG IMO.  This game basically spoiled me, and I can't really play many other SRPG's anymore thanks to how great the systems in this one are.  Play it if you haven't, and you definitely won't regret (most of) it.

Lunar/Lunar 2-->OK, I may get some hate for these, because they're so linear, but I really liked them both.  The plot is a little weaker in 2, but I like the battle systems in both, and really, the music is pretty great in both as well.  I just think they're solid, well-crafted games that everyone who likes RPG's should play.

SaGa Frontier 2-->Not my favorite in the series, but the battles play out similarly to other SaGa games.  There are a few different ways to spark skills in this one though, and it's not quite open world like some of the other games, but the art style is great, and there are some very memorable parts to the game.  It's a bit of an unconventional SaGa (but not even close to Unlimited, so don't worry), but I think it's worth a try for sure.

Suikoden 1/2-->  These copies are the Crown Jewels of my PS1 collection.  I probably consider these the best games I've ever played (especially 2), and I really think everyone should play them at least once.  Both plots, again, hem close to the 108 stars and "Bandits of the Marsh" story structure with some modifications.  S1 is much more Asian in theme than 2 (which is more European IMO), and both tell stories that are absolutely worth experiencing.  I am man enough to admit I teared up a few times in both games--the only real negative to these games IMO are the war games, which are much better done in 5.  Still, for PS1 games, these 2 games are close to perfect.

I know others will mention a few games I left out (Dragon Quest 7 and Xenogears, among others), but I won't lie, I pretty much despise DQ7 and XG.  I'll save the dissertation for some other time, but I personally cannot recommend them.  *braces for incoming hate parade*

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2015, 02:43:31 am »
Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Suikoden: I've wanted to play I or II for a long time but copies of these are just too expensive for some old game on a type of media that costs next to nothing to manufacture (CDs). Games like this and VP are prime examples of why I feel no shame in pirating old games. I can remember buying Chrono Trigger used in the late 90's for $20. Forget that these days. Everything is "RARE" despite 50+ copies being available at all times.

Valkyrie Profile: This I have also wanted to play for a long time and have not for the same reason above yet I won't be paying $70-150 for it. I wonder how much 2 blank CDs and enough Sharpie ink to write the titles are worth? heh heh I guess I really shouldn't brag about pirating. Feels kinda funny. Anyway, I had a particular interest in this one since lately I've been trying to find as many good games as I can with female leads. Gaming is a total sausage-fest.

BoF III-IV: These will prob be at the back of the line. I never was too crazy about BoF and what has been described about BoF V sounds much more interesting to me.

Star Ocean/Final Fantasy Tactics: They look cool and I know they'll have cool music. I like Sakuraba and Sakimoto both.

Grandia/SaGa Frontier 2: I know nothing about these and have heard very little about them so I guess I'm just going to have to try them.

Tales of Destiny 2/Eternia: Just burned it last night. Haven't had a chance to try it yet but I like the style of this series.

Lunar: Again, I know nothing about this one but the screenshots looked very SNES-like so I'm on board.

I've never played Xenogears but you're not alone with regard to DQVII. ;) I never finished it and my copy collected so much dust before I finally threw it out while cleaning because I was just tired of looking at it. Guess I could have sold it since it's "RARE". LOL

Since you mentioned VA... While playing the original Japanese version of SotN I feel that the acting itself is better but the actual voices of the actors in the domestic release I think are more fitting for the characters. To me, Maria doesn't look like she sounds. She looks European yet sounds 110% Japanese, character-wise. And the voice of Alucard in the US version sounds like a guy you wouldn't want to mess with. Alucard in the JP version sounds a little wimpy. Not manly enough. I bet he checks his hair a lot. LOL

Oh yeah. I wasn't saying I would be buried with my copy of SotN, I'll just never get rid of it. It's too fun (well, the first half anyway...) and I'm forever a Castlevania maniac. Though I do want to be buried in a Dracula costume because if I were alive I wouldn't take my own funeral seriously. I just won't. I refuse to cry when I'm dead. Plus it makes a nice statement, like I'll be back in 100 years. :)

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2015, 03:02:24 am »
I won't dispute that a lot of those PSX games are good or even great (well, tbh only Suikodens and Star Ocean :P) but it's pretty much all standard fantasy world fare that I thought the OP wasn't looking for? Hell, if I had to put a name to the concept of "most generic and featureless JRPG ever created" that 'honor' would go to Lunar.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2015, 08:40:20 am »
I won't dispute that a lot of those PSX games are good or even great (well, tbh only Suikodens and Star Ocean :P) but it's pretty much all standard fantasy world fare that I thought the OP wasn't looking for? Hell, if I had to put a name to the concept of "most generic and featureless JRPG ever created" that 'honor' would go to Lunar.

I probably agree with you about Lunar 1, but I think Lunar 2 does a bit better job about things.  I know they aren't popular for breaking molds, but there's just something about them I've always liked, and I thought some of the art was pretty great in both, which might be subconsciously why I brought it up.  And since I didn't get in on the back end of one of these discussions, I really just felt like tossing everything and the kitchen sink out there, since I don't get to talk much about some of these games!  Maybe I just have a greater tolerance anymore for the stuff that drive people crazy in RPG's?  I'm fully prepared to take my beating on recommending Lunar though, I know a lot of people don't like it.

And for the record, I feel like PS1 games are well within the appropriate time limits of cheating to access them now.  My rule of thumb is 2 generations back (or whenever I literally cannot buy non-new versions of non-FF games for a system) and I lose all guilt regarding downloading, especially when they cost $75-200.  Fun fact for some of you though: the local game store where I used to live in Coralville, IA has had a small stock of completely new PS1 FF games for over a decade now--they had copies of FF9 and every one of the remakes/rereleases, and Chrono Cross basically until I moved about 3 months ago.  So if you're up for a road trip....

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2015, 05:48:11 pm »
I won't dispute that a lot of those PSX games are good or even great (well, tbh only Suikodens and Star Ocean :P) but it's pretty much all standard fantasy world fare that I thought the OP wasn't looking for?

That's where I started, but now that I finally have access to all of the PS1 games I never played, my thirst for something different has been superseded by nostalgia. Right now I'm hungry for sprite art and game music circa 1994-2000.

So far everything looks good. I haven't tried Lunar 2 or SaGa Frontier 2 yet because in both cases I decided to try the preceeding games in each series first. I also have not yet checked out the Suikodens because I haven't had time. I'm eager to see what they're like since I don't think I've ever played a Konami RPG. I'm hoping that means they will be challenging.

The only actual 3D PS1 (action-) RPG I've tried so far is Threads of Fate because it wasn't too ugly. It's pretty fun and I like the story/lead character that I chose (Mint, because she has rings like Carrie Fernandez). I wish the control scheme was a little more configurable but I'll get used to it. Makes me wish they had made a 3D Castlevania for PS ala Legacy of Darkness.

Daria

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2015, 08:03:41 pm »
magictrufflez has a good list there - personally I'd swap FFT for Vandal Hearts because I just didn't like the same things about the game he didn't. I'd also add Persona 2 - dark as shit. I'm of the opinion that they ruined the Persona series with 3, 2 is a very mature game with a heavy lovecraftian-cthulhu vibe. The joker's voice is enough to send chills down your spine. Warning - really hard.

BoF3 and 4 are also massive improvements over the original 2, watch some videos or something but don't skip them based on the original two. Start with 4 - it's gorgeous, the storyline's fucked up, and the ability to swap characters mid battle is the best twist on the traditional turn based system I've ever played.

Edit: Also Alundra. So it's more of a Zelda clone, and a spiritual successor to LandStalker but it's beautiful, challenging, and dark. The story is less about Alundra (a traveller with the ability to step into people's dreams) then it is about this town and its people. Each NPC is "troubled" and as Alundra you'll step into their minds and literally fight their personal demons. It's also one of the saddest games I've ever played (next to Rhapsody).

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2015, 08:06:46 pm »
So far everything looks good. I haven't tried Lunar 2 or SaGa Frontier 2 yet because in both cases I decided to try the preceeding games in each series first. I also have not yet checked out the Suikodens because I haven't had time. I'm eager to see what they're like since I don't think I've ever played a Konami RPG. I'm hoping that means they will be challenging.

Lunar in order, yes. SaGa games no continuum I think. Suikoden in-game time order differs from release order, but release order probably feels more natural as 4 is a bit.. rougher than the others. Sorry but no special challenge there. I'm not sure if any of the best turn-based RPGs are challenging, so that is a strange thing to expect!

Please notify after you have played all the recommendations in this thread. I just want to know how long it takes.

Also, discussion between SGP and Daria is hilarious because of those avatars.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2015, 11:12:47 pm »
I just want to say the reason I didn't recommend SaGa Frontier 1 is because I think the game is just so much more shallow gameplay-wise than SF2.  IMO, the fact that there's really only 3 different weapon types really killed things for me, especially since magic is, as per SaGa standard, virtually useless when compared to weapon arts damage-wise.  And really, martial arts (with 1 or  Sword exceptions) are easily more powerful than anything else throughout all of my playthroughs.  In my experience, guns were generally useless, which meant you really only needed to use MA users with some support/healing magic the whole game, which got boring fast.

Some of the plots are OK (I'm partial to the robots myself), and the claymation graphics are kinda neat, but I always liked the more expanded weapon arts and magic from SF2 so much better.

Sorry bout that  /endrant

GHANMI

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2015, 11:20:30 pm »
If you're into obscure quirky budget Japanese RPGs, give those a try:
- Tengai Makyou Namida
- Metal Saga ~ Chains of Dust (has US version, if you're playing the JP version avoid the first print copies)

Some Earthbound-like ones:
- Abarenbou Princess
- Chulip (available in English)
- Endonesia (by the devs of Tingle RPG)

Also,
- Tales of Rebirth
- Seven (Tactical RPG by the Tales team)
- Venus and Brave (also on PSP) (sequel for Seven)
- Magic Pengel and its sequel (Ghibli Studios helped with the art style, has some original ideas)
- Radiata Stories
- Star Ocean 3 (but don't play it for the plot)

Well, that and the fact that SCE's Japan division published tons of stuff that was never localized.
- Hungry Ghosts PS2 - horror/RPG hybrid
- Velldeselba Senki Tsubasa no Kunshou PS1 - RPG all about airships, interesting art style too

Give some anime games a try too, especially the Fullmetal Alchemist ones, and one by Sega from an Osamu Tezuka manga where the protagonist is a samurai who got his body parts sold.

Some anti-recommendations, though:
- PS2 Popolocrois games (play the PS1 ones instead)
- Ys 3/5 ports by Taito
- Grandia 2 (bad port)
- Nadia and the Blue Water (average adaptation marred by horrible "fanservice" additions - robotic maids, harem paths for Jean including even Electra and Marie)
- Tengai Makyou Manjimaru (game is excellent but this port is so low budget it hurts)

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2015, 11:43:29 pm »
Also, discussion between SGP and Daria is hilarious because of those avatars.

:D

If you're into obscure quirky budget Japanese RPGs, give those a try:
- Tengai Makyou Namida
- Metal Saga ~ Chains of Dust (has US version, if you're playing the JP version avoid the first print copies)

They both look pretty interesting. Is Metal Saga perhaps a Metal Slug RPG? If so: OMG :thumbsup:

Some Earthbound-like ones:
- Abarenbou Princess
- Chulip (available in English)
- Endonesia (by the devs of Tingle RPG)

Whoa, cool. I remember when those first two came out and I totally forgot about them. All three look atypical so that's good.

...so many new recommendations my head is spinning... LOL

I just want to say the reason I didn't recommend SaGa Frontier 1 is because I think the game is just so much more shallow gameplay-wise than SF2.  IMO, the fact that there's really only 3 different weapon types really killed things for me, especially since magic is, as per SaGa standard, virtually useless when compared to weapon arts damage-wise.  And really, martial arts (with 1 or  Sword exceptions) are easily more powerful than anything else throughout all of my playthroughs.  In my experience, guns were generally useless, which meant you really only needed to use MA users with some support/healing magic the whole game, which got boring fast.

Some of the plots are OK (I'm partial to the robots myself), and the claymation graphics are kinda neat, but I always liked the more expanded weapon arts and magic from SF2 so much better.

Sorry bout that  /endrant

It seems okay so far, so I guess that means when I get to #2 I'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

SaGa games no continuum I think.

Yeah, I figured they'd be kinda like the Final Fantasy's in that regard.

magictrufflez has a good list there - personally I'd swap FFT for Vandal Hearts because I just didn't like the same things about the game he didn't. I'd also add Persona 2 - dark as shit. I'm of the opinion that they ruined the Persona series with 3, 2 is a very mature game with a heavy lovecraftian-cthulhu vibe. The joker's voice is enough to send chills down your spine. Warning - really hard.

BoF3 and 4 are also massive improvements over the original 2, watch some videos or something but don't skip them based on the original two. Start with 4 - it's gorgeous, the storyline's fucked up, and the ability to swap characters mid battle is the best twist on the traditional turn based system I've ever played.

Hmm. I'll give 'em all another look then.

Edit: Also Alundra. So it's more of a Zelda clone, and a spiritual successor to LandStalker but it's beautiful, challenging, and dark. The story is less about Alundra (a traveller with the ability to step into people's dreams) then it is about this town and its people. Each NPC is "troubled" and as Alundra you'll step into their minds and literally fight their personal demons.

I've been wanting to play this forever but I could only find A2 for a decent price. The two look like totally different games. guess I don't have to wait anymore.

It's also one of the saddest games I've ever played (next to Rhapsody).

Uh oh. :(

LOL

EDIT: YESSSS!!! I finally found Nage Libre: Rasen no Soukoku for PS1 = turn-based strategy game with school girls and card-based battles. I really enjoyed the SNES version as it was easy to play with little to no knowledge of Japanese. That second shot is a battlefield. LOL

« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 02:24:47 am by SunGodPortal »

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2015, 02:53:55 am »
Alundra is amazing (IMO better than any 2D Zelda game, yes I said it). But for the love of god, stay away from Alundra 2. Coming from Alundra it's like being ambushed in a dark street corner after midnight and getting gangraped by demons with thorn-covered cocks.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2015, 03:04:28 am »
But for the love of god, stay away from Alundra 2. Coming from Alundra it's like being ambushed in a dark street corner after midnight and getting gangraped by demons with thorn-covered cocks.

Too late. After hearing how good the first one was I bought Alundra 2 after spotting a used copy for cheap in a local shop. I'll never be the same...

IMO, the fact that there's really only 3 different weapon types really killed things for me, especially since magic is, as per SaGa standard, virtually useless when compared to weapon arts damage-wise.  And really, martial arts (with 1 or  Sword exceptions) are easily more powerful than anything else throughout all of my playthroughs.  In my experience, guns were generally useless, which meant you really only needed to use MA users with some support/healing magic the whole game, which got boring fast.

Coming back to this, I'm reminded of Final Fantasy V. Within the first 45 mins of the game you can have all of your characters learn "Brawl" and never have to worry about weapons again and every character will have strong attacks.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 03:37:44 am by SunGodPortal »

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2015, 09:25:27 am »
Coming back to this, I'm reminded of Final Fantasy V. Within the first 45 mins of the game you can have all of your characters learn "Brawl" and never have to worry about weapons again and every character will have strong attacks.

There are other things I hate about FF5 (Death-X is pretty indicative of the level of effort I felt went into everything outside the class system), but you definitely hit another thing I hated.  Especially endgame, when you're unlocking all those legendary weapons, why the hell would I get the geomancers bell before I unlock Excalibur?  And why even that when I'm punching dinosaurs for ~1-2K damage?  So much stupid went into that game

EDIT:  I just realized all of your reactions to Alundra 2 reminded me of my own reaction to Grandia 3.  I kept thinking it would get better...and 50 hours later the final boss told me his sinister goal was to "destroy the power of love".  I was put on suicide watch for the next 48 hours.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 09:33:49 am by magictrufflez »

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2015, 12:08:23 pm »
Incidentally, since Lunar 2 is mentioned, I'd much more highly recommend the SegaCD version over the PS1 version. The changes from SegaCD to PS1 are both less and more dramatic than with Lunar 1; where Silver Star had fairly major plot divergences and was way less grindy on PS1, Eternal Blue on PS1 is essentially the same game but with less interesting dungeons. What's more, the translation was lazy and was mostly lifted from the SegaCD version, and even references mazes and puzzles that are no longer in the game.

Metal Saga I mentioned in my original post. It has nothing to do with Metal Slug, and is in fact the third game in the Metal Max series. You're a bounty hunter in an open post-apocalyptic world. When not hunting down the latest marks you spend time excavating tanks from ruins, equipping your dog with back-mounted bazookas, and buying furniture for your home.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2015, 03:29:13 pm »
Metal Saga I mentioned in my original post. It has nothing to do with Metal Slug, and is in fact the third game in the Metal Max series. You're a bounty hunter in an open post-apocalyptic world. When not hunting down the latest marks you spend time excavating tanks from ruins, equipping your dog with back-mounted bazookas, and buying furniture for your home.

Oh yeah. That's right. I forgot about that. Doh! So many suggestions I'm starting to lose track.

EDIT:  I just realized all of your reactions to Alundra 2 reminded me of my own reaction to Grandia 3.  I kept thinking it would get better...and 50 hours later the final boss told me his sinister goal was to "destroy the power of love".  I was put on suicide watch for the next 48 hours.

*facepalm*

---------------------------

I got a chance to play BoF III. Within the first few minutes it was obvious to me that I was going to like this way more than the first two, which I never finished. Also, I had forgotten how much I liked that sort of battle menu. I remember Lufia have the same sort of set up. Glad I came back to it.

Also got to play Vandal Hearts. Was fun and easy to follow/pick up.

At this point I'm loving these PS1 games so much I think I'm just going to shelve the PS2 collection for now.

-Forgot to respond to this-
Please notify after you have played all the recommendations in this thread. I just want to know how long it takes.

I'll get back to you in a couple of years. LOL

I'm of the opinion that they ruined the Persona series with 3, 2 is a very mature game with a heavy lovecraftian-cthulhu vibe.

Just saw an ad for Persona 4 - Dancing All Night... *sigh*

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2015, 11:46:48 am »
Incidentally, since Lunar 2 is mentioned, I'd much more highly recommend the SegaCD version over the PS1 version. The changes from SegaCD to PS1 are both less and more dramatic than with Lunar 1; where Silver Star had fairly major plot divergences and was way less grindy on PS1, Eternal Blue on PS1 is essentially the same game but with less interesting dungeons. What's more, the translation was lazy and was mostly lifted from the SegaCD version, and even references mazes and puzzles that are no longer in the game.

EXCEPT THE SEGACD ORIGINAL IS ENTIRELY IN CAPITAL LETTERS ONLY. FOR THAT I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT. IT IS VERY ANNOYING TO READ FOR A LARGE RPG.

I also think the PS1 version's enhanced graphics, expanded voice acting, and cut scenes are a worthwhile upgrade.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2015, 01:01:59 pm »
EXCEPT THE SEGACD ORIGINAL IS ENTIRELY IN CAPITAL LETTERS ONLY. FOR THAT I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT. IT IS VERY ANNOYING TO READ FOR A LARGE RPG.

I also think the PS1 version's enhanced graphics, expanded voice acting, and cut scenes are a worthwhile upgrade.

Screamcase is definitely a good reason to go PS1, I'll give you that. But I honestly prefer the cutscenes in the SegaCD version. Even though they're not as fluid, they've got a certain je-ne-sais-quoi about them. I really can't put my finger on it.

Daria

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2015, 02:13:22 pm »

YEAH, THIS COMPLETELY TURNED ME OFF FROM THE ORIGINAL VERSIONS.