News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Suggestions for PS2 RPGs  (Read 14720 times)

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
Re: Suggestions for PS2 RPGs
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 03:22:59 pm »

Other potential suggestions with an unorthodox setting, less-than-braindead battle mechanics, or both:
- Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
- Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria

I seriously hope you're joking with that god-awful BoF:DQ suggestion.  The person wanted suggestions, not trolling.

Also the game is called Valkyrie Profile II: Silmeria on PS2.  The original Valkyrie Profile I was released for the Playstation 1.

My suggestions list; UNDUB means that the standard English dub was replaced with Japanese voices due to terrible English voice acting
Dot Hack & Dot Hack GU series
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VIII
Drakengard 1 UNDUB
Drakengard 2 UNDUB
FF10 International UNDUB (has bonus content)
FF12 International Zodiac Job Edition (with english patch by ffgriever that really should be hosted here on RHDN if possible)
Grandia 2
Grandia 3
ICO
Kingdom Hearts 1 - Final Mix
Kingdom Hearts 2 - Final Mix Plus
Odin Sphere
Persona 3 FES UNDUB
Persona 4 UNDUB
Phantasy Star Generations 1 (with English Patch)
Phantasy Star Generations 2 (with English Patch coming soon-ish...under 6 months from now)
Rogue Galaxy
Shadow Hearts 1 UNDUB
Shadow Hearts 2 UNDUB
Shadow Hearts 3 UNDUB
Shin Megami Tensei - Devil Summoner - Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army
Shin Megami Tensei - Nocturne
Shin Megami Tensei - Digital Devil Saga 1
Shin Megami Tensei - Digital Devil Saga 2
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time UNDUB
Xenosaga 1
Xenosaga 2
Xenosaga 3
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 04:00:02 pm by obscurumlux01 »

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2015, 03:38:32 pm »
You should watch your language. Gideon Zhi is not a troll, I can assure you. You may have different tastes. I recommand you reformulate your message before moderation notices :)

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2015, 03:52:33 pm »
You should watch your language. Gideon Zhi is not a troll, I can assure you. You may have different tastes. I recommand you reformulate your message before moderation notices :)

If we have different tastes, then Gideon's tastes are garbage.  They're the last person that should be making 'suggestions' to others.
It is the equivalent of a person asking for NES game recommendations and being recommended 'Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde'.  It is a troll recommendation of a garbage game; it has no redeeming qualities except perhaps as a learning experience for game designers in WHAT NOT TO DO.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 04:16:13 pm by obscurumlux01 »

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2015, 04:04:14 pm »
Phantasy Star Generations 2 (with English Patch coming soon-ish...under 6 months from now)

Maybe more, maybe less  :P

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2015, 04:13:51 pm »
I seriously hope you're joking with that god-awful BoF:DQ suggestion.  The person wanted suggestions, not trolling.

I thought it sounded pretty interesting. Sounded like they were tired of retreading the same ground and wanted to inject some freshness into the series.

Also the game is called Valkyrie Profile II: Silmeria on PS2.  The original Valkyrie Profile I was released for the Playstation 1.
If we have different tastes, then Gideon's tastes are garbage.  They're the last person that should be making 'suggestions' to others.

You wake up on the wrong side of the bed, fella? I wanted to get suggestions for good RPGs, not to watch people fight for no reason. Your tone here is a bit bratty and hostile.

I'll quote myself here:
haha Yeah. I took my time with the first post hoping to get the best results. I wanted to write more but I knew the more I wrote the less people would read. Sooner or later someone is going to come in here and read only the title and then cut/paste a huge list from somewhere. I guess the "I like game X but I won't bother telling you why" is on it's way too. :)

Oh and sooner or later an arguement will break out. LOL

Thanks for some more suggestions though. Also, I too am a big fan of undubs. Terrible voice-acting totally kills the experience for me.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2015, 04:22:20 pm »
But that was my point.  BoF:DQ is not an example of a good RPG.  It isn't even particularly competent except that it is a game that has RPG mechanics and a leveling system.  It fails in nearly every other possible way.  It is not fun, engaging, or enjoyable whatsoever.  It is a masochistic game for people with bad taste or who love to torture themselves with bad game design.  It isn't even good like Dark Souls or other 'awesome-hard' games.  It is just garbage by comparison.

Since you wanted recommendations specifically for 'good RPGs' then that recommendation was indeed a troll suggestion.  BoF:DQ is a waste of time to play or bother with unless you are a game designer trying to learn what NOT to do; the game is not worth the disc it is printed on.  I'd rather you spent your money on far better games that deserve it and all the ones that I mentioned are worth your time and money.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2015, 05:06:44 pm »
But that was my point.  BoF:DQ is not an example of a good RPG.  It isn't even particularly competent except that it is a game that has RPG mechanics and a leveling system.  It fails in nearly every other possible way.  It is not fun, engaging, or enjoyable whatsoever.  It is a masochistic game for people with bad taste or who love to torture themselves with bad game design.  It isn't even good like Dark Souls or other 'awesome-hard' games.  It is just garbage by comparison.

git gud

In all seriousness, I had a lot of fun with Dragon Quarter. I didn't end up replaying it to see how the story fleshes out as your D-rank increases, but contrary to popular belief you absolutely do not have to grind restarts in order to make it through. It took me maybe four or five total attempts over a period of several years with long breaks in between; when I did make it through, I'd done so only having used a single restart (that one early on) and my D-ratio was 1/16. The game encourages a careful approach to its random encounters and measured use of the resources available to you, and its setting is very much outside of the standard boxes most games find themselves occupying; these were the criteria specified by SunGodPortal in the opening post, so it seemed like a good suggestion. Most of the people I've seen who don't like Dragon Quarter approach it from the numbers-go-up school of powerleveling and decided that they had to use restarts to get their characters to a good place if they wanted to have any hope of making it out to see the sky, when that's really not the sort of game it is. After an hour or two, I'd "solved" the game - that is, I'd figured out exactly how best to approach combat to maximize my chances of survival and minimize my resource expenditure. Have you actually played it?

All that said, if you're going to insult my tastes, I'd appreciate it if you'd have concrete examples to back up your claims; "it's garbage" is hardly constructive, and the guy in the video review you've linked was fairly obviously approaching the game from the wrong perspective. I can't entirely fault this, as the four prior games in the franchse are about numbers-go-up and powerleveling. But Dragon Quarter is as much about power-leveling as Frog Fractions is about catching airborne bugs and solving math problems.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 05:13:23 pm by Gideon Zhi »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2015, 05:38:55 pm »
The game encourages a careful approach to its random encounters and measured use of the resources available to you, and its setting is very much outside of the standard boxes most games find themselves occupying; these were the criteria specified by SunGodPortal in the opening post, so it seemed like a good suggestion.

This for sure. I was becoming bored with turn-based RPGs and then I played a few Shin Megami Tensei games. Not only did it reinvigorate my interest in the genre, it also ruined just about any game that has grinding and/or battles that can be lazily coasted through on auto pilot. SMT games pretty much FORCE you to not take any battles lightly until you are absolutely certain that there is little to no chance for you to lose*. You MUST focus on enemy weaknesses. You MUST focus more on demon/persona fusing and it's benefits rather than standard leveling. Levels and equipment are important too, but they take a back seat to those things. The bread and butter of many RPGs is trivialized by this series in both it's gameplay (due to it's depth) and atmosphere (due to it's originality). It has made me demand much more from my RPGs.

*I like how they almost always come with an "auto" function for battle. I say that because with these games that feels like a joke. Choosing "auto" will either get you slaughtered or result in a ton of resources being squandered. I wish the boring RPGs had auto functions...

UPDATE: 9/16/15
Additional comments about Mana Khemia.

-I like the idea of spreading rumors even existing in the game. Sounds fun.
-I like how the traditional leveling system has been replaced by AP and the Grow Book (though it's a little confusing)
-The assignments are fun and the way the game is setup makes them feel like more than just a bunch of boring fetch quests (they're fun fetch quests with more interesting implications than usual).
-I like that the battles are not random encounters (I'm so sick of that!!!) because these days it takes a REALLY good game to make REs tolerable for me.
-I like how your assignments seem to only require you to explore so much of a dungeon, leaving more for you to explore later (keeps me curious).
-It's actually more challenging than I thought it would be having played some of NIS's other turn-based RPGs for PS2, which didn't feel very challenging other than the amount of thought and research it took to get my head wrapped around their crafting systems.
-I like the card system in the corner of the battle screen. It's nice to know the order of events so that you can plan accordingly rather than simply having to guess.
-I LOVED how the students performing in the music room sounded awful. Little things like that make this and some of NIS's other games so charming :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 11:31:07 pm by SunGodPortal »

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2015, 09:54:09 am »
*bursts through the wall*

Did someone mention PS2 RPGs????

I'm not going to get defensive about BOF 5---I personally hated it (I like my BoF more traditional), but if you want something different, I can confirm it is definitely that!  Unlike Gideon, I did replay it a number of times (even getting the mythical "Dragon 1/4" for my ratio), and he's totally right, you do NOT need to power level at all (and really, even if you did, it's super inefficient to outside of one of the final battles).  If you setup your characters appropriately and don't squander resources, you can make it through fine.  The first run will be a bit rough, but if you do a new game + (which at higher ratios unlock extra areas and cutscenes) it gets much, MUCH easier.  If you'd like to totally blow the doors off your new game +, I can definitely suggest how to most efficiently farm experience, if you're interested.  And before anyone blasts me for playing through a game multiple times that I disliked--I love BoF, and I assumed I'd get some sort of better ending with a low D ratio....but I did not.  Disappointing, but not as disappointing as Grandia 3 (I would seriously advise not playing G3 in the strongest possible terms).

I see a lot of my favorites are already mentioned here (DQ8, Grandia 2, Valkyrie Profile, SO3, and thank god someone mentioned the Phantasy Star 2 remake, because I am jacked about that).    I do have a few suggestions I don't think have been mentioned yet.

--The Bard's Tale-->  While it has the traditional fantasy setting and is a bit hack and slash, everyone should play this game just for the dialogue, as the game basically plays as a parody of every RPG ever, with a great ending to boot.  You will thank me later.

--Kings Field: Ancient City-->  Again, kind of traditional medieval setting, but the mood and setting are amazing.  Basically, King's field games were the real precursurs to Dark Souls, only they're first person, and this is by far the best one.  You will find a lot of challenge and a really great pseudo-horror feel in this game for sure.

--Suikoden 5-->  This has much more of an oriental feel to it, but there is plenty of fantasy stuff here too.  If you've played a past Suikoden, you know what to expect--108 Stars of Destiny, previous game cameos, story hemming somewhat close to "The Bandits of the Marsh" (the Chinese story, not the game), but generally kick ass everything.  Battles are turn-based, but pretty strategic, and while it's not my favorite Suikoden, it's still damn great.  And it's got Georg f---ing Prime.  'nuff said.

--Romancing SaGa: Minstrels Song-->  This is a remake of the SNES version of RS1, and it improves everything in most every way.  Some of the mechanics are frustrating (Event/Battle Ranks especially), but it is difficult in a good way, and completely satisfying when you succeed.

--Radiata Stories-->  This game may not be "OMG GREAT" good, but I like it.  The story is kind of all right, and it has a Star Ocean-lite battle system, but I liked the pseudo-humorous atmosphere, and a lot of the open-worldish stuff you could do.  There are also a ton of playable characters (not 108, but still), and the requisite Tri-Ace postgame guantlet.  If you want some simple RPG fun, I always like this one.

FYI, before I get raked over the coals--this is all MY OPINION.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2015, 04:06:30 pm »
--Romancing SaGa: Minstrels Song-->  This is a remake of the SNES version of RS1, and it improves everything in most every way.  Some of the mechanics are frustrating (Event/Battle Ranks especially), but it is difficult in a good way, and completely satisfying when you succeed.

I remember playing this one before. It's hard to put my finger on it, but something about it was just so off-putting for me. I'll probably stick with the SNES version.

--The Bard's Tale-->  While it has the traditional fantasy setting and is a bit hack and slash, everyone should play this game just for the dialogue, as the game basically plays as a parody of every RPG ever, with a great ending to boot.  You will thank me later.

Hmm. I'm intrigued. I'll look into this one later.

--Kings Field: Ancient City-->  Again, kind of traditional medieval setting, but the mood and setting are amazing.  Basically, King's field games were the real precursurs to Dark Souls, only they're first person, and this is by far the best one.  You will find a lot of challenge and a really great pseudo-horror feel in this game for sure.

Until starting this conversation I don't think that I had ever heard of King's Field. Now that I've taken notice there seem to be a number of people who really like this series. The list of games to try only grows longer. :)

--Suikoden 5-->  This has much more of an oriental feel to it, but there is plenty of fantasy stuff here too.  If you've played a past Suikoden, you know what to expect--108 Stars of Destiny, previous game cameos, story hemming somewhat close to "The Bandits of the Marsh" (the Chinese story, not the game), but generally kick ass everything.  Battles are turn-based, but pretty strategic, and while it's not my favorite Suikoden, it's still damn great.  And it's got Georg f---ing Prime.  'nuff said.

I've never played ANY Suikoden game but I'm curious to see what Konami's idea of an RPG is. I love Castlevania and Goemon (though that's not what I'll expect here).

I'm not going to get defensive about BOF 5---I personally hated it (I like my BoF more traditional), but if you want something different, I can confirm it is definitely that!  Unlike Gideon, I did replay it a number of times (even getting the mythical "Dragon 1/4" for my ratio), and he's totally right, you do NOT need to power level at all (and really, even if you did, it's super inefficient to outside of one of the final battles).  If you setup your characters appropriately and don't squander resources, you can make it through fine.  The first run will be a bit rough, but if you do a new game + (which at higher ratios unlock extra areas and cutscenes) it gets much, MUCH easier.  If you'd like to totally blow the doors off your new game +, I can definitely suggest how to most efficiently farm experience, if you're interested.  And before anyone blasts me for playing through a game multiple times that I disliked--I love BoF, and I assumed I'd get some sort of better ending with a low D ratio....but I did not.  Disappointing, but not as disappointing as Grandia 3 (I would seriously advise not playing G3 in the strongest possible terms).

There have been a number of things I've liked in BoF games but none of the games themselves ever really grabbed me, so the fact that this one sounds and looks so different is very intriguing to me.

Just because I've got another chance to say it here, now that I'm getting used to it more I can't get over how cute and fun Mana Khemia is. Upon starting this thread I was looking for something more gritty, dark and realistic (probably more scifi than fantasy) but as stated before I'm a bit of a sucker for cuteness.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 04:13:46 pm by SunGodPortal »

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2015, 08:20:20 pm »
(...Grandia 2, SO3, ...)

I avoided mentioning Grandia 2 because it's available on multiple platforms (including just recently Windows/Steam in an HD remastery way) and the PS2 is easily the worst of these. Also because the plot and setting are fairly pedestrian. Great battle system though. I'd also recommend against SO3; the battle system is fun but holy crap the plot is dumb as hell, especially at the very end.

I actually recommend Shadow Tower Abyss over any/all King's Field entires, if only because it's the only From Software game cut from that particular mold that allows you "standard" FPS controls where look is mapped to the right stick and forward/back/strafe is mapped to the left. If you can (learn to) deal with lateral movement and vertical camera adjustment being mapped to L/R triggers, by all means look into KF, but I'm used to standard FPS and I've so far found the controls to be prohibitively awkward.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2015, 08:35:42 pm »
I can vouch for Breath of Fire V actually being a really interesting and fun RPG. Gideon has it right, the game is more about strategy than straight grinding.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2015, 10:49:23 pm »
I avoided mentioning Grandia 2 because it's available on multiple platforms (including just recently Windows/Steam in an HD remastery way) and the PS2 is easily the worst of these. Also because the plot and setting are fairly pedestrian. Great battle system though. I'd also recommend against SO3; the battle system is fun but holy crap the plot is dumb as hell, especially at the very end.

I actually recommend Shadow Tower Abyss over any/all King's Field entires, if only because it's the only From Software game cut from that particular mold that allows you "standard" FPS controls where look is mapped to the right stick and forward/back/strafe is mapped to the left. If you can (learn to) deal with lateral movement and vertical camera adjustment being mapped to L/R triggers, by all means look into KF, but I'm used to standard FPS and I've so far found the controls to be prohibitively awkward.

I definitely agree with you on the PS2 version of Grandia 2--it was the only one I had access to when I played it, but the slowdown was brutal in a few parts.  I did actually enjoy the plot quite a bit though.  I thought the big stuff was relatively well done (especially the whole religion angle), and G2's big plot twist is one of my favorites.  I am definitely with you on the battle system, G2's is probably my favorite iteration of the hybrid system Grandias use.

SO3 is probably my 3rd favorite SO game, for the big reason you mentioned.  Actually, if you pay really close attention to the dialogue, you can completely tell they wanted to make a totally different game at one point that probably would've been more akin to SO2, but I think they realized they were already at 2 discs for a PS2 game and just said "f--- it, let's go with that one idea we came up with over drinks".  I really love the game systems a lot though, which is why I still play/recommend it.

I've actually never heard of Shadow Tower Abyss--and I thought I'd sniffed out all those types of games over the years!  I'll definitely look at that one!

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2015, 11:13:14 pm »
I've actually never heard of Shadow Tower Abyss--and I thought I'd sniffed out all those types of games over the years!  I'll definitely look at that one!

Best I can tell, prior to Demon's Souls, From had three distinct branches of games. King's Field is of course the central pillar, and there are four of these (the US got KF2 and 3 as KF 1 and 2). Shadow Tower and Shadow Tower Abyss are darker, though they're still basicall the same engine. King's Field is to Dark Souls as Shadow Tower is to Bloodborne, I guess? Eternal Ring is the third, and it's apparently more action-oriented than King's Field or Shadow Tower, but I can't really comment as Abyss is the only game of the seven that I've played to any appreciable extent.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2015, 11:44:36 pm »
Best I can tell, prior to Demon's Souls, From had three distinct branches of games. King's Field is of course the central pillar, and there are four of these (the US got KF2 and 3 as KF 1 and 2). Shadow Tower and Shadow Tower Abyss are darker, though they're still basicall the same engine. King's Field is to Dark Souls as Shadow Tower is to Bloodborne, I guess? Eternal Ring is the third, and it's apparently more action-oriented than King's Field or Shadow Tower, but I can't really comment as Abyss is the only game of the seven that I've played to any appreciable extent.

Yeah, Shadow Tower looks like the same format as KF, and the same kind of setting.  It looks like the Shadow Tower games released after KF games on their respective systems, so maybe that accounts for the controls being different?  They look graphically a bit better than their KF counterparts too.  If I ever get a computer that's able to run a PS2 emulator, I'd really like to try it now!

Eternal Ring...I don't really think is worth playing.  It's kind of like KF-lite, and not in a good way.  The mood is definitely missing, and that's one of my favorite parts of KF--if you find KF too difficult though, it's probably a good way to kind of put the training wheels on so-to-speak.

I.S.T.

• Ten years, still no avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2015, 12:35:27 am »

You forgetting Armored Core? :P

Edit: also, Bard's Tale is on PC in a nice port that includes the original three games if you're curious about those.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2015, 12:44:03 am »
You forgetting Armored Core? :P

Absolutely not, but Armored Core is hardly an RPG! I'm focusing purely on From's RPG line.

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2015, 01:03:48 pm »
I agree with obscurumlux01's list of good RPGs. All the games I would mention are on it.

I couldn't really get into Suikoden 5. I quit playing after an hour or so and never got back to it.

(Re: Kings Field: Ancient City) I played the original Kings Field on PS1 and really didn't like it, so haven't played any of the sequels.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 01:09:07 pm by dougeff »
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

Daria

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2015, 10:33:06 pm »
Due to annoying circumstances I was not able to try out Shadow Hearts so since I already had Mana Khemia ready to go I tried it. I found myself laughing out loud within the first few minutes because of something the cat said. I never would have seen that one coming. :) I played it for about an hour and half before I finally got tired and had to go to bed (not because it was a JRPG, fufufu...).

Just like with Persona 3+4, I like the whole "going to school and having a schedule" thing with a home base that you keep returning to. I find that refreshing for a genre where you more often find yourself wandering from place to place until the game is finished. The battle system feels VERY quick for a turn-based RPG. I'm loving that. I also like how the main character seems like he in a fog the whole time. That's a refreshing change of pace from the ususal "arrogant tough guy".

So far I'm actually enjoying it a lot more than the other Gust/NIS games I've played (which I have yet to finish). You can def tell it's the same developer. It had the same style of graphics, music, characters, etc. It even had some of the same sound fx. The atmosphere isn't really what I was looking for, but at the same time I'm kind of a sucker for the whole "cute and fun" thing it's got going on. Like with the other games these guys have made, much of the characters and music is kinda funny, like it borders on parody or something. I'm also a sucker for that sort of thing (Carranger, Akibaranger). Mana Khemia has not disappointed.

I know, I have awesome taste. :P

Just glad you like it.

YES! I actually forgot this was on PS2 as I have the Xbox version but the game is absolutely hilarious. The Bard is voiced by Cary Elwes (Princess Bride, Robin Hood Men in Tights) and his commentary on the generic RPG tropes going on around him is priceless. Gameplay wise it's another Champions of Norrath Engine game (so like the console Baldur's Gate or Diablo in general). Also the songs are pretty catchy.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 10:39:13 pm by Daria »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2015, 11:59:08 pm »
The Bard is voiced by Cary Elwes (Princess Bride, Robin Hood Men in Tights) and his commentary on the generic RPG tropes going on around him is priceless.

Oh man. I don't know how many times I've watched those and Hot Shots especially. I HAVE to play this.

Gameplay wise it's another Champions of Norrath Engine game (so like the console Baldur's Gate or Diablo in general).

That's cool. I've played Baldur's Gate anyway. I'll probably put this next on my PS2 list. The past few days I've gotten side-tracked digging for PS1 games with 2D/sprite based cartoonish graphics. Basically PS1 games that look like suped up SNES games. :)