News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Android Emulators  (Read 3230 times)

Special T

• View Profile
Android Emulators
« on: September 11, 2015, 07:15:05 pm »
I recently bought an android phone and wanted to start playing retro games. After looking in the play store for emulators, I've found a lot to choose from and didn't want to waste my time or money on emulators that doesn't function well. I was hoping people on this forum that have android phones could reply with their preferred emulator of choice.

I'm interested in emulating the following systems:
MS/GG, Genesis, Sega CD, 32x, Saturn, Dreamcast
NES, SNES, N64 / GB, GBC, GBA, DS
PC Engine / PC Engine CD
PS1
PSP

Aside from stability, I also like to see rewind and save state functionality. I also prefer something that isn't overly complicated... I'm looking at you retroarch.

Also, I don't mind paying for an app/emulator if it's worth the money. So, if you have any suggestions please post them here.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 09:31:14 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:47:11 pm by Chpexo »

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
Re: Android Emulators
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 11:39:31 pm »
retroarch

edit: i need to lern2read.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 12:18:16 am by MisterJones »
_-|-_

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 11:53:08 pm »
There has to be a better life.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 10:38:15 am »
On that list, I've really only extensively tested emulators for NES, SNES and PS1.
For NES, I use John NES Lite. NES emulators are plentiful, of course, but of the free ones, I like the UI of John the best.
For SNES, I use SNES 9X EX+. Free SNES emulators are also pretty easy to come by, but SNES 9X is obviously a name brand so it was among the first I tried. Works flawlessly and has good configuration options.
For PS1, I actually use an app that costs a few dollars. I tried some free ones, but experienced various problems like crappy button configuration and slow emulation. I settled on ePSXe. It doesn't cost much, $3.99 I think. The devs regularly release updates. Emulation is very smooth. Sometimes I've noticed that the music doesn't sync up correctly, but I rarely have the volume turned up on my android, so this doesn't affect me really.
Also, I recommend using a Bluetooth keyboard or, if you can figure out how to make it work (I never could), using a PS controller (or whatever) unless you plan to only play RPGs. No matter how ergonomically you configure the on-screen buttons, they can be pretty frustrating for fast-paced games.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 11:20:04 pm »
Thank you all for the information & suggestion  :)

Also, I recommend using a Bluetooth keyboard or, if you can figure out how to make it work (I never could), using a PS controller (or whatever) unless you plan to only play RPGs. No matter how ergonomically you configure the on-screen buttons, they can be pretty frustrating for fast-paced games.

I agree. Of the emulators I've tested so far, none of the virtual controls really work for platformers. I think I'm going to try an OTG cable hooked up to a game controller. I've seen a few videos of people that said it works well. I think the OTG cable / game controller will be fine to use at home or if I'm at a hotel but it unfortunately isn't ideal to use that combo while you are on break at work or just waiting for a doctors appointment.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 01:55:27 am »
Right, I'm sure an OTG cable would work just fine. When I was trying to use my sixaxis on my tablet, I did go out looking for one and found them surprisingly scarce at most retail establishments. By the time I had struck out at Best Buy, Walmart, Target and Radio Shack (which existed near me at the time but not anymore), I was so frustrated at the end of the ordeal that I refused to look online for one. But I'm known to do stupid things like that. Anyway, long story short (too late), buy one online.  :thumbsup:
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Sliver X

• Laputan Machine
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 05:06:44 pm »
What I use on my phone:

Arcade (General): MAME4Droid (Based on a really old ROM set: 0.37b IIRC)
Arcade (CPS-2): MAME4Droid Reloaded (MAME 0.139)
Atari 2600: 2600.emu
Atari Lynx: aLynx
Gameboy(Color): GBC.emu
Gameboy Advance: MyBoy!
Game Gear: Nostalgia.GG
Genesis/Master System: MD.emu
MSX: MSX.emu
Neo Geo Pocket: NGP.emu
NES/FDS: NES.emu
PC-Engine/CD: PCE.emu
Playstation: ePSXe
SNES: SNES9x.emu
Wonderswan: WonderDroid

I agree. Of the emulators I've tested so far, none of the virtual controls really work for platformers. I think I'm going to try an OTG cable hooked up to a game controller. I've seen a few videos of people that said it works well. I think the OTG cable / game controller will be fine to use at home or if I'm at a hotel but it unfortunately isn't ideal to use that combo while you are on break at work or just waiting for a doctors appointment.

Which is why, despite it's age, I still run this phone. I like it so much I have two brand new ones in a box along with enough replacement parts to last me another decade.

The fact that I spent a year and a half perfecting my own Android kernel/ROM for it is probably also another factor in wanting to hold on to using it.

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 09:24:32 pm »
Which is why, despite it's age, I still run this phone. I like it so much I have two brand new ones in a box along with enough replacement parts to last me another decade.

The fact that I spent a year and a half perfecting my own Android kernel/ROM for it is probably also another factor in wanting to hold on to using it.

I don't think I've ever seen a cell phone like that before and I grew up using a pager. It looks like it's a good phone for gaming though.

Sliver X

• Laputan Machine
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 09:46:47 pm »
It's a Sony Ericsson Xperia Play, which flopped horribly unfortunately; even more unfortunate is that Sony got a patent on a slide-out gamepad on a phone so no other design like it has come out since.

While the hardware is pretty weak by today's standards (The phone was released in 2011) and it runs a really old version of Android by default, you can find new/unused CDMA models (The R800x) for around $70 on places like Amazon, so hey. Even if you don't want to use it as a phone it makes for a fairly awesome handheld emulation device/ebook reader/video+music player.

It only officially states support for 32GB SD cards, but I installed a 128GB card in mine and it runs fine after formatting it to FAT32: Micro SDXC (cards above 32GB in size) are required by the uSDXC standard to come preformatted as exFAT, which is a proprietary Microsoft format and not supported by Android.

PKstarship

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 10:13:43 pm »
DraStic is really the only good DS emulator, it plays the games with little to no slowdown. I believe it's six or so bucks, but it's worth the money.