News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Nintendo vs Youtube. Round 3. This time it might involve ROM hacks.  (Read 19793 times)

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Re: Nintendo vs Youtube. Round 3. This time it might involve ROM hacks.
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2015, 09:42:03 am »
I wonder if this pertains to games that will never see the light of day in the US, like BS Zelda or Seiken Dentetsu 3. I just started making videos and intend to put them on Youtube, but for rom hacks I should make sure not to monetize anything for rom hacks...

An interesting anecdote from a popular German Twitch channel I'm watching that tries to keep a 24/7 TV-like channel going via Twitch and including some LP content. They are very open about the business side of their channel and they once commented on Nintendo's behaviour on this topic. They said that this policy mostly comes from Nintendo of Japan. The German branch at least rolls their eyes at it themselves. The only thing they can do about it though is just not to enforce the guidelines given by NoJ and leaving German channels with Nintendo material alone. I dunno how NoA handles it, but mostly we can all thank NoJ for this. Reactionary Japanese businessmen who don't understand the internet.

If you play Japan exclusive games, maybe you are more likely to get noticed by NoJ. At the very least, I wouldn't put the game title in Japanese into the description knowing this.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a timeā€¦
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2015, 01:31:39 pm »
How many intellectual properties does Nintendo actually own, that this is an issue? Just leave their stuff alone. Refuse to make any videos featuring their first party content, and don't give any views to videos that do.

If it's that big of an issue, cut them out. Make your own stuff. Review and whatever videos of content creators that actually want it. Splatoon is their first successful new IP in how many (decades)? I guarantee that there's some indy and homebrew stuff being made that deserves the youtube coverage more than whatever next-gen Zelda teaser they're running off of now.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2015, 03:58:52 pm »
Between first party, second party and third party that they have some exclusive rights to... they might not be EA or Ubisoft but Nintendo do OK. Likewise they still punch considerably above their weight/financial spending in terms of the public imagination/mind space and though there may be more willing and deserving folks out there you kind of do have to consider your potential audience. I agree that an approach not unlike the one Google took with news sites (for those unaware Google was being pestered by news sites to not index their news in Google's news feed, Google in turn said fair enough and we will drop you if that is what you want before promptly doing as such. Traffic dived for the news sites and they realised the error of their ways) would be a good strategy, however... I would make a herding cats comment but given the business and legal nous of the let's play set that would be an insult to cats.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2015, 05:28:37 pm »
How many intellectual properties does Nintendo actually own, that this is an issue? Just leave their stuff alone. Refuse to make any videos featuring their first party content, and don't give any views to videos that do.
Thing is what Nintendo has their hands on is undoubtedly a fair number of the most popular IPs in gaming history: Mario (and other associated franchises like DK and Yoshi), Zelda, Kirby, Pokemon. And still fairly popular F-Zero, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018