News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Wario Treasure Panic NES (Panic Restaurant HACK) Need help  (Read 4337 times)

JUg

• View Profile
Wario Treasure Panic NES (Panic Restaurant HACK) Need help
« on: September 07, 2015, 06:50:22 pm »
Here is another project that I am working on. Working on KOOPAMITE has helped me make breakthroughs with Panic Restaurant hacking as a whole and I began working on this before I started working on Koopamite. Right now I have redesigned the entire first level and Wario completly replaces the main character of Panic Restaurant. The story is not changed, but basicly, it will be Waluigi who steals Wario's treasure and Wario goes on to get it back from him.

If you want to help me out with this project, I am looking for some ideas to replace monsters. Right now in the first level I still have the sausages and the carrots walking around. Ideas for bosses based on the Panic Restaurant ones would be nice. The first boss is changed to a big boo, which seemed appropriate for the pattern of the boss.

If you are able to change NES music, go right ahead. I'm not planning to change the music at all, but if you want a challenge, go right ahead.

This hack is quite a challenge, but it's also perfect because each level gives me around 200 combinations of tiles I can use. I'm not planning to use them all obviously, since I want to keep it simple visually like Mario and Wario games.

Instead of screenshots, I opted for a video of what I've done so far.

https://youtu.be/zUs2GBNs9hc
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 01:59:42 pm by JUg »

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 10:25:53 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:38:28 pm by Chpexo »

JUg

• View Profile
Re: Wario Treasure Panic NES (Panic Restaurant HACK)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 01:56:24 pm »
Ah, the hack looks neat. Keep it up!

Interestingly, the composer is Hirohiko Takayama who composed a handful of neat sound tracks for EIM and Atlus like Karate Kid and Friday the 13th. This sound engine is rather nice especially with its echo! Sadly I don't have the skill to find data on the sound engine though otherwise I'd do a few tracks.

My only experience with the music of this game is through RAM. I was able to change pitch and notes but I have no clue what I was doing cause I have no music skills, like at all lol

Maeson

• View Profile
Re: Wario Treasure Panic NES (Panic Restaurant HACK) Need help
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 02:17:45 pm »
SOMEONE ELSE SAW WALUIGI AS OH'DOVE TOO!

*ahem* Sorry... Panic Restaurant is a pretty nice platformer, solid and quite polished, although pretty short (maybe I feel that because it's pretty fun).

The sprites of Wario and Waluigi look rather gorgeous!

About ideas... Spoilers!
Spoiler:
What about changing the carrots into turnips? Like those you can throw in SMB2.

The Microwave boss could be some kind of chest or "?" Block that throws some kind of treasure (Maybe some kind of "treasure monster" to go along with the walking chickens on the level before the boss) when it opens. Maybe even a Safe that throws money or something like that to go along with Wario's personality (If this is going to be his castle).

Obviously the pizzas could be boulders. And the cup guys could be changed into the baddies from the first Wario Land (Those white or black small characters). The skewers... Maybe the bees from later Wario lands?

Good Luck with this! I remember wanting to make a version with Luigi and Waluigi time ago, because Oh'Dove is just Waluigi in a Chef suit.
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

JUg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 02:33:12 pm »
SOMEONE ELSE SAW WALUIGI AS OH'DOVE TOO!

*ahem* Sorry... Panic Restaurant is a pretty nice platformer, solid and quite polished, although pretty short (maybe I feel that because it's pretty fun).

About ideas... Spoilers!
Spoiler:
What about changing the carrots into turnips? Like those you can throw in SMB2.

The Microwave boss could be some kind of chest or "?" Block that throws some kind of treasure (Maybe some kind of "treasure monster" to go along with the walking chickens on the level before the boss) when it opens. Maybe even a Safe that throws money or something like that to go along with Wario's personality (If this is going to be his castle).

Obviously the pizzas could be boulders. And the cup guys could be changed into the baddies from the first Wario Land (Those white or black small characters). The skewers... Maybe the bees from later Wario lands?

Good Luck with this! I remember wanting to make a version with Luigi and Waluigi time ago, because Oh'Dove is just Waluigi in a Chef suit.

ahah, yeah, when I first loaded Panic Restaurant and saw the chefs ... the obvious mod to Wario and Waluigi came to mind. It was so obvious lol

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 02:54:15 pm »
They are based on this sprite sheet (Wario looks identical to how he appears on the sheet, while Waluigi's head is the only thing that came from that sheet).

JUg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 03:17:38 pm »
They are based on this sprite sheet (Wario looks identical to how he appears on the sheet, while Waluigi's head is the only thing that came from that sheet).

Yup. NO body's sprite sheet is awesome.
http://www.spriters-resource.com/fullview/27487/

That sheet basicly convinced me I should turn Panic Restaurant into a wario game.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 07:39:39 pm »
@JUg: This is cool, I like Wario & Waluigi. :D

I dunno if you know but I draw cartoons, you can find my cartoons here & here. If you need help drawing monsters I can help, just send me the enemies you need done & I'll make monsters for you. :)

NiO

• Let's bring order to chaos
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrogamersmx/
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 08:22:40 am »
it looks nice so far, both characters fit in the game

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 06:05:30 pm »
Looks neat! If you need help with the enemy design, I'd be willing to lend a hand.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 07:06:29 pm »
Looks neat! If you need help with the enemy design, I'd be willing to lend a hand.

You also helping would be cool, we can share levels and have different style of enemies. The hack would be unique that way. ;D