News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Make a walkthrough from a PC98 game.  (Read 1849 times)

Liz

• View Profile
Make a walkthrough from a PC98 game.
« on: September 01, 2015, 06:48:13 am »
Hello. I played an old game by Interheart named Jealousy and finished it... one time. Because I saw this was the first ending.
The VN is long, it's on PC98 and you can't speed up the text (which is slow), even on FM-Towns which have a "no wait" function that still would be long, and, better, the choices are totally random! You have some fights and all you have to do is random choices like kick/punch and you will win at the end in any case. It's impossible to guess what to do to get the second ending. Trial and error is the only way and it's a way I don't want to use because I know where it leads.

I used editdisk on the rom and found the script in the form of raw .DOC (lucky!). So I know there are only two endings.
The problem remains, the script is like that:

Code: [Select]
 小太郎は、頭の中で電卓を弾いていた。しばらくすると、頭の中に緑鮮やかな草原が広がった。その草原の中にバクテンする小太郎の姿があった。もう借金を返した気になっていた。$
鳥長 「これからテストしますが、今までの説明をちゃんと聞いていましたか?」$

「はい 」
「いいえ」

鳥長 「見習い期間中は、基礎知識、及びホスト業をするに当たってのルールなどを、しっかり頭にいれるように」$
鳥長 「基本が出来ていなければ、ホストとして良い仕事が出来ませんからね。仕事が出来なければ、女性やお金に関しても良い思いが出来ませんよ」$

I don't have the instruction that will tell me where I land if I chose 「いいえ」 when I know that this choice redirect me to #00199 when 「はい 」 move me to #00220.
My request is if someone can help me finding those instructions. I am a total noob and I don't know what to do.
I entitled that thread "PC98 game" but you can use the FM-Towns version if it's easier for you.

Thank you!

PS: of course, I tried to find a walkthrough on the web but like it's an old game + and old game not very known, there is nothing.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 09:34:05 am »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:32:10 pm by Chpexo »

Liz

• View Profile
Re: Make a walkthrough from a PC98 game.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 10:36:05 pm »
Seems like it will be the only one reaction I will have. Kusun.
Even if I try to do it myself, it's not like I want to extract the CG or the text, it's too specific to fit the doc I found and if I go further, that is not worth the investment even if I bet it won't be the only old VN that will bother me (I already failed to find all the hidden CG of another VN).

Quote from: Chpexo
I think more PC-98 games should be translated
I guess the The 4th Unit project and the Slayers one are dead?

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 01:10:48 am »
Random comment here, but was it really a *.doc (Microsoft Word document format) file that you found on the disk? If so, it sounds to me like that was a development file what was left on the image when it was compiled and, very likely, could have nothing to do with the executing script in the game itself.

Considering the formatting overhead and trouble of having to scan and read through a doc file rather than a UTF-formatted *.txt (or even *.rtf) file, that seems absolutely insane that the programmer would use a doc file.

Have you tried changing letters in this doc file and re-inserting it into the disk image to see if it's reading from it?

Liz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 01:34:34 am »
Yeah, it's several doc and it's insane. I uploaded one.
I also tried to modify the script because I was curious to see if that was that easy to translate this game but by re-inserting the doc inside the disk, the game throw me an error. I supposed that means the game actually needs it. They are divided between 3/6 disks and I remember, on the first disk (of course) and the ones where are the animated h-scenes.

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 07:05:17 pm »
I downloaded the file and took a look at it and can say that the file is not an actual MS-Word file, but merely a text file using the extension ".doc"

So when making edits to the file, it may be a better idea to use Notepad or another light-weight editor.

Other than that... the executable must be around somewhere that tells the program what order to launch these tagged lines in. Maybe start looking through other files with a hex editor for the hex codes for some of the lines?

Liz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 08:19:22 pm »
If you could take a look at the first disk and give me some hints? Like I am a noob, after that, can you redirect me to some tuto that will fit that peculiar request?

So, the instructions should be in that GAME.EXE and only in that one?