News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Lufia-Patches by Artemis  (Read 99881 times)

Swordmaster

• View Profile
Re: Lufia-Patches by Artemis
« Reply #420 on: December 01, 2018, 05:51:27 pm »
In regards to "Yukionna Bit", "yuki" is Japanese for "snow" (this particular 雪 yuki, anyway), and "onna" is Japanese for "woman".  So, Snow Woman... Bit?  Why Bit?  I don't get that part.

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 01, 2018, 06:19:10 pm »
Bit as synonym for edge or piece or something like that.

Well, if you don't buy it, then: Bit as something I deliberate searched for it to have only 3 letters.

However, I finally found something better. I'll go with Yukionna Ken.

December 02, 2018, 07:46:52 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
So here's the updated (beta) version:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jhqotdgpbcy5m7i/Lufia-Patches_v4.zip/file
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 07:46:52 pm by Artemis »

Martze

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 03, 2018, 12:15:25 pm »
Thanks Artemis! I'll update to the new beta. The retranslation reference will be based on the latest beta version. I'll finish it when my current playthrough is done—I'm at Durale currently. I also have a friend of mine playing through version 3.0, and if he finds any issues, I'll report them to you.

Yeah, "Yuki Onna Sword" a tough one to fit into 12 characters. "Yukionna Ken" works, though, and it's a clear improvement over "Yukionna Bit".

I have a couple other unsolicited suggestions in the meantime, if you're interested:
Raiju Sword -> Raijuu Ken. The use of "Ken" gives consistency with Yukionna Ken. The different romanization of 雷獣 is a minor preference issue on my part.
Mirac Plate -> Miracle Mail. The information that it is specifically plate armor is lost, but I think it is an improvement regardless. I don't remember seeing any other armors that were abbreviated in a distractingly bad way, but "Mail" would work for them as well if there are any.
Silvo Rapier -> Silver Epee. Again, a rapier and an epee are not the exact same weapon, but they are similar, and so the basic idea is conveyed, and the ugliness and awkwardness of "Silvo" is eliminated. Honestly, even "SilverRapier" would be better...

December 03, 2018, 01:01:49 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Alternatively:
Silvo Rapier -> Silva Rapier. If an abbreviation of "silver" is unavoidable, then "silva" is phonetically closer to "silver" than "silvo" is.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 01:01:49 pm by Martze »

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 03, 2018, 01:13:50 pm »
Would it be okay to call an epee rapier? Because in the description it says rapier and it's too troublesome to change this.

Martze

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 03, 2018, 01:55:01 pm »
Not an expert on swords, but based on my current understanding, I would say no, it is not correct to call an epee a rapier. They are two similar but distinct types of sword. You would have to change the description as well, unfortunately.

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 03, 2018, 02:04:43 pm »
are there any other changes aside from some equipment names?
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 03, 2018, 02:07:31 pm »
No, only equipment names, enemy names and Excelion.

And no change to epee then. I'll wait until your playthroughs are ready to see whether I'll do some final changes.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 04:40:31 pm by Artemis »

Martze

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 03, 2018, 05:44:07 pm »

And no change to epee then. I'll wait until your playthroughs are ready to see whether I'll do some final changes.

Understandable. Thank you for taking the time to listen to my suggestions.

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 03, 2018, 09:03:22 pm »

awesome! hey, i hate to bring this up again, but... while you're making changes, would you please change confusic box back to music box? i think it's kind of embarrassing knowing i suggested such a lame name.

edit - just in case anyone was wondering, my lufia trilogy projects probably won't be updated along with the next version of frue lufia, unless another bug fix makes it in. i'll update tap rose to taplows for sure though.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 01:35:34 pm by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Martze

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 04, 2018, 12:16:38 pm »
OK, I've completed the list of items.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1i2oHkHMkVqevX_3WzzgaInTcN_QTw7os33Nt4RDAvvQ/edit?usp=sharing

Since 3.0 is the latest, stable, public release, I wanted to cover it as well as the upcoming 4.0. However, I only listed a name in the 3.0 column if it's different from 4.0. The only 3.0 names I remember are "Yukionna Bit" and "Tap Rose" though.

I was very very careful but I likely made at least one mistake somewhere. I'll happily give edit permissions to anyone who wants to help.

I will probably do spells at some point. I might do IPs. I will probably not do monsters.

Anyway, as I was going through this list I came up with a few more suggestions. As before, these are all just ideas I'm throwing out there to see if you like them.

Seiryu Spear -> Suiryu Spear or Suiryuu Pike or Suiryuu Yari
Kappa Spear -> Kappa Yari
Kwhazit's page lists the Japanese name as すいりゅうのやり: Suiryuu no Yari. The mythical Seiryuu is blue but has no association with water as far as I know.

On the other hand, I realized you have a pretty good reason for "Raiju" over "Raijuu"... and that reason is "Seiryu Spear." If you're going to use "uu" for a long u in "Raijuu", you'd want to do the same with "Seiryuu" to be consistent, which there isn't room for in "Seiryu Spear". You could work around that by using "Pike" instead of "Spear", or totally run with the convention set by "Yukionna Ken" and go with "Seiryuu Yari" (and also "Kappa Yari" for consistency), but that's a lot of changes to accommodate a very small preference issue on my part.

Goddess Idol -> Goddess Icon
Although this is not a compelling reason to change it, there is an item called "Goddess Icon" in the official English releases of the Fire Emblem series.

Seethru Cape -> Sheer Cape
Seethru Silk -> Sheer Silk
"Seethru" is a fairly ugly contraction of "see-through." Fortunately, "sheer" is synonymous.

Safety Helm -> Safety Hat
Yes, this is what the official release called this item. As a native English speaker, I am comfortable with the terms "Safety Hat", "Safety Helmet", and "Hard Hat." I have never heard "Safety Helm." "Helm" is an archaic term, which is suitable for most of the helmets in the game, but does not work for a Safety Helmet.

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 04, 2018, 01:46:24 pm »
That's great! I'll include the list then.

As for errors in the 4.0 column:

Fire ball -> Fire Ball
Death ball -> Death Ball
Zircon Gloves -> Zirco Gloves
Fire arrow -> Fire Arrow

And I'll think about the final changes.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 02:31:04 pm by Artemis »

Martze

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 04, 2018, 03:34:07 pm »
That's great! I'll include the list then.

As for errors in the 4.0 column:

Fire ball -> Fire Ball
Death ball -> Death Ball
Zircon Gloves -> Zirco Gloves

And I'll think about the final changes.

Wow, good eye! Thanks for catching those. I've fixed them in the spreadsheet.

I'm sorry to keep dumping big suggestions lists on you, but I got thinking about abbreviations after my last post. I know you are trying extremely hard to avoid abbreviations and internal caps, which is a very noble goal, but there's a handful of cases where I think your workaround just isn't worth avoiding an abbreviation for. Considering the key items "Treas. Sword" and "Pretty Flwr." both use abbreviations, there is precendent for this.

Silvo Rapier -> Silv. Rapier or SilverRapier
Plati Plate -> Plat. Plate
Plati Gloves -> Plat. Gloves
Plati Shield -> Plat. Shield
Plati Band -> Plat. Band
Plati Helm -> Plat. Helm
Zirco Breast -> Zirc. Breast or ZirconBreast
Zirco Gloves -> Zirc. Gloves or ZirconGloves
Crysto Beret -> Cryst. Beret or CrystalBeret
S-Mysto Ring -> S-Myst. Ring
An explicit abbreviation or an internal cap is easily better than inventing a shortened form of a word, to me.

Pretty Flwr. -> PrettyFlower
Trades an awkward and unfamiliar abbreviation for an internal cap. Pick your poison.

Bastard Edge -> Bastard Swd. or BastardSword
Don't get me wrong, I love "Goddess Edge" and "Berserk Edge." The word "Edge" is inherently cool, and it also adds some refreshing variety in a sea of weapons all named "_____ Sword." "Edge" complements "Berserk" very well, and it also contrasts "Goddess" very well, giving both of these weapons distinct and memorable names.

The problem is "Bastard Sword" is a bigram in English. Sort of like how you just can't change "Safety Helmet" to "Safety Helm" and have it work and sound natural in English, you just can't change "Bastard Sword" to "Bastard Edge." Describing a sword as a "bastard" is inherently strange, and it's something that English speakers are only used to because we've heard the term "Bastard Sword" so much. Changing "Sword" to "Edge" breaks that familiarity, and begs the question, "wait, why is it called a bastard?"

I can't remember where but I'm pretty sure I've seen "Swd." as an abbreviaton for "Sword" in a video game before.

Bort Shield -> Dia. Shield or Diam. Shield or DiamondShld. or Diamond Shld or Diamond Sh.  or DiamondTarge
When I found this item on stream, I laughed and so did the people on voice and in the chat. The word "Bort" is inherently funny to a native English speaker; I can't explain why, it just is. There's a famous scene from the Simpsons where Bart sees a rack of vanity license plates, and, though unable to find one with the name "Bart", he finds one with "Bort." You can see the scene here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au1He0_eCkw

This is one of those famous Simpsons jokes that even people who haven't seen the show know about. While it isn't the entire joke, the inherent ridiculousness of the name "Bort" is definitely part of the humor. I've heard the name "Bort" in a couple other contexts and all of them have been humorous.

I know "bort" is a term for a low-quality, industrial-use diamond. I know this because "Bort Shield" was so strange I had to pause the game to look it up. This is not a word that I, as a native speaker of English, have ever encountered before. This is not a term I expect anyone to be familiar with unless they work with industrial diamond for a living.

Even knowing what bort is, the name still has several problems for me. First, it strikes me as anachronistic. Yes, I know this game has Lexis and Gratze Kingdom in it, but it still feels out of place even with that taken into account. Second, it conjures up totally different mental images than "Diamond Shield" does. A Diamond Shield is almost certainly a gorgeous, priceless treasure, in addition to assuredly being a strong piece of defensive equipment—a fitting reward for solving The World's Most Difficult Trick. A Bort Shield may be practical, but would also almost certainly be ugly.

I know all of my suggested names have their own problems. But "Bort Shield" just doesn't work for me, unless your goal is to make players laugh.

And one more unrelated thing that occurred to me while I was typing up this post:

Mermaid Ball -> Mermaid Orb
"Orb" sounds like a sacred treasure of the mermaids that can unlock the door to their homeland. "Ball" does not.

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 04, 2018, 04:06:38 pm »
Also

Fire arrow -> Fire Arrow

And I'm watching on Twitch now for Spekkio.

Martze

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 04, 2018, 04:37:21 pm »
Fixed that one too, thanks.

I can't stream at the moment but I'll be able to in a few hours. Easiest way to contact me is Steam or Discord. You joined the Digital Roots server so you should be able to find me on there.

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 04, 2018, 04:46:37 pm »
I'll stay online on Twitch so you can just start when you're ready.

December 04, 2018, 08:47:25 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Okay, I'll go with:

Miracle Mail
Sheer Cape
Sheer Silk
Safety First
Suiriu Spear (as the proper spelling seems to be Sui Riu)
Silver Epee (new description: "A rapier-like weapon.")

And you missed the Giant in Giant Catfish for kwhazit.

Also what do you say about Quartz Beret instead of crysto?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 10:07:32 pm by Artemis »

Martze

• View Profile
« Reply #435 on: December 04, 2018, 11:19:51 pm »
And you missed the Giant in Giant Catfish for kwhazit.

You mean for the Catfish's Cryptolith? I double-checked it and kwhazit's site still says "Catfish's Cryptolith" on my end.

Miracle Mail
Sheer Cape
Sheer Silk

I'm glad that you liked these!

Safety First

This isn't what I suggested, but it's still an improvement. I'm glad you changed it.

Suiriu Spear

Hm... this is actually a step back, in my opinion.

There are plenty of games and anime that transliterate りゅう as "ryuu" or "ryu", and I've never seen "Riu" before. "Riu" suggests りう rather than りゅう. Even if Sui Riu were a real Japanese myth (more on that in a second), it wouldn't be romanized this way anymore.

Since I'm not familiar with "Sui Riu," I googled it and none of the sites I could find looked like authorities on Japanese mythology. One of the top results is actually a Wikipedia discussion page, talking about why "Sui Riu" was removed from the article on Japanese dragons: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AJapanese_dragon#dragon_kings?

To summarize why it was removed: The earliest known source of "Sui Riu" is a 1928 book by a Westerner called Ernest Ingersoll. There are no known Japanese sources that attest to Sui Riu. Sui Riu is either the result of an error or is a complete fabrication.

So if Sui Riu isn't an authentic Japanese myth, what is "Suiryuu" doing in Lufia 2, then? My best guess is that it's simply two words. "Sui Ryuu no Yari." Water Dragon's Spear. It's not referring to an entity named "Suiryuu," but a generic water dragon. Kwhazit seems to agree, as he has "Aquadragon Spear."

If you want to use an authentic Japanese mythological water dragon, you probably want Mizuchi. But, of course, being seven letters, this would force Pike, Yari, an abbreviation, or an internal capital. However, the Japanese text doesn't say "Mizuchi," it says "Sui Ryuu." It's not written in Kanji, where there might have been room for interpretation—it's written in hiragana.

So... please go with "Suiryu" or "Suiryuu." Or change it back to "Seiryu," even; that's at least an authentic Japanese myth, and romanized properly as well. (Though I prefer "ryuu", "ryu" is acceptable, and the 12-character limit makes a good case for it.)

And as for the suggestions you didn't take... I'm willing to let many of them go, as most of them were fairly minor changes, but there's a few that I care strongly enough about to ask you to reconsider.

First, Bort Shield. I know you hate abbreviations and internal capitals, but, this is a Super Nintendo JRPG and you have 12 characters. Plenty of games contemporary to Lufia 2 use abbreviations. Using abbreviations is fine. Everyone understands. I get that abbreviations are distracting as they call attention the space limitations, but "Bort" actually calls more attention to itself as an unusual and inherently funny word, and it ends up being even more distracting. It's not even a synonym—changing "Diamond" for "Bort" changes the meaning.

I know you've gone to a lot of trouble to eliminate abbreviations, and I'm glad you have, as that effort has borne valuable rewards. I'm glad space restrictions forced "Goddess Edge" and "Berserk Edge", and even if there was more room I wouldn't want you to change them. I never heard the word "Targe" before, but its archaicness fits the setting, and it alleviates the monotony of "Shield" over and over again. The word just sounds like it means "shield." I really dig it. Don't mistake me; I'm not telling you to go back and use abbreviations to eliminate every "Edge" and "Targe" and "Helm" that you have. There's only a handful of items that end up worse in my opinion for avoiding abbreviations, and they're the ones I mentioned in my post about it. But even most of these are only a little bit worse for it, so I'm happy to let them go. But Bastard Edge is moderately worse than an abbreviation, and Bort Shield is much worse. Using one or two abbreviations doesn't invalidate all of that work that you did to eliminate the others. And anyway, if your goal was to eliminate all abbreviations, you haven't succeeded, as you still have "Treas. Sword" and "Pretty Flwr." You have two already... what's two more?

Lastly, Mermaid Ball. Kwhazit has "Mermaid's Orb." I get that you had to eliminate the apostrophe-S for space, but why change orb to ball? As a native speaker, my immediate interpretation of Mermaid Ball was a ball made out of mermaids, a rather humorous mental image. A ball is what you use to play sports; an orb is a mystical treasure.

Anyway... thanks again for listening to all of my suggestions, and for accepting the ones that you did. I appreciate your patience with my long-windedness, and I'd like to reiterate how much I appreciate how much effort you've put into this project. Out of the 400+ items in the game, you came up with great names for the overwhelming majority of them; it's just a handful of items—ones which are genuinely challenging to compress into 12 characters—that I thought were worth taking another look at.

December 04, 2018, 11:28:48 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
And I missed your edit because I took so long to post (I was doing something else while typing that up.)

So to comment on those...

Silver Epee (new description: "A rapier-like weapon.")

I'm glad you like the change enough that you're willing to edit the description!

I hope you haven't changed it yet, though, because I wouldn't go with that description. The original is "A rapier made of silver" so it's straightforward what the new description should be: "An epee made of silver." Making the description "A rapier-like weapon" sounds like, you, as the translator, are trying to justify making the change. You don't need to explain what an epee is; anyone who cares will look it up.

"Silver Estoc" is another viable alternative. The estoc is also similar to a rapier. This may actually be better than epee because the modern epee is used in the sport of fencing and is less like a rapier than a traditional epee is.

Also what do you say about Quartz Beret instead of crysto?

I like that one a lot. Good idea!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 11:31:02 pm by Martze »

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 05, 2018, 01:28:26 am »
There's another thing to consider: Sometimes the seemingly easier alternative actually is more complicated.

Mermaid Orb is out because it's harder to fit into the dialogue.

Same for "An epee made of silver." It just doesn't fit in at all. That's the real reason.
So epee or estoc? And what description in case of the latter?

And I really don't want abbreviations - unless the item is there only for like two minutes before it's already gone which is the common denominator in these two cases.

And whereas it may not have been intended I don't have problems with funny names like Bort Shield or Kappa Spear. If anything, it's a positive thing. I won't change Bort or Bastard until there's a better word... Though, how about Gem or Jewel Shield?

So there's Suiriu which is the most complicated one I guess... What about Ryujin if Suiriu is a fake?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 02:47:43 am by Artemis »

Martze

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 05, 2018, 09:13:34 am »
Mermaid Orb is out because it's harder to fit into the dialogue.

Oh, I see. I never considered that shorter could be a problem, but it's true that the Mermaid Jade/Orb/Ball is mentioned in dialogue a couple of times, unlike most of the items in the game.

In light of that, "Mermaid Ball" is more understandable, but my vote would actually be to just go back to "Mermaid Jade" at that point. Not an accurate translation, but it still sounds more fitting for what it is than "Mermaid Ball" does.

Still, willing to let this one go in light of the information that "Mermaid Orb" doesn't fit. Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.

Same for "An epee made of silver." It just doesn't fit in at all. That's the real reason.
So epee or estoc? And what description in case of the latter?

That surprises me, as the original description, "A rapier made of silver", is longer, but I'm sure there's technical reasons for that.

I have a slight preference for "estoc" over "epee"—I wish I'd though of that first—but either of them work fine.

As for the description... in light of the length constraints, I would vote for simply "A silver epee."/"A silver estoc." Unless those are too short? In which case just leave it as "A rapier-like weapon." That should be fine regardless of whether you go with "epee" or "estoc."

And I really don't want abbreviations - unless the item is there only for like two minutes before it's already gone which is the common denominator in these two cases.

Ah, I see. That makes sense.

And whereas it may not have been intended I don't have problems with funny names like Bort Shield or Kappa Spear. If anything, it's a positive thing. I won't change Bort or Bastard until there's a better word... Though, how about Gem or Jewel Shield?

That's fair; I did get a good laugh out of Bort Shield. If that's what you wanted, then you succeeded! But if you want to make the weapon sound strong, valuable, beautiful, and useful, then I think Gem Shield and Jewel Shield are both clear improvements over Bort Shield. Neither of them quite capture the majesty of "Diamond Shield", but they work well enough. Between the two, I slightly prefer "Gem Shield", but either one is fine.

I don't have a problem with Kappa Spear, and I don't think it's funny. Did someone bring that up earlier? I was only suggesting changing that one to "Yari" for consistency, so you would have "Yukionna Ken", "Raijuu Ken", "Suiryuu Yari", and "Kappa Yari." The idea there, if it wasn't obvious, was to consistently use the Japanese words for weapons in the weapons named after Japanese myths. This would have concealed the fact that "Yukionna Ken" was chosen for length reasons, and helped to legitimize it somewhat. But anyway, this was was a mere suggestion and I'm happy to let this one go.

So there's Suiriu which is the most complicated one I guess... What about Ryujin if Suiriu is a fake?

Sure, Ryujin works well. Good idea! (Or Ryuujin, but... space constraints.)

I know this is a big ask, but I thought I'd at least throw it out there: is the character "ū" in the game's font anywhere? If so, could you change "Raiju" to "Raijū" and "Ryujin" to "Ryūjin"? "û" would work as well. If neither of them, is there an unused character that could be turned into "ū" or "û"? This would resolve my distaste for romanizing a long u vowel as a single u without the space constraint problems that "uu" would create.

December 05, 2018, 09:47:46 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Came up with a solution to "Bastard Edge" while I was in the shower.

"Zweihander." (or if the character ä exists in the font or can be added to it, "Zweihänder.")

The funny part is, if the weapon is a bastard sword, the current description, which calls it a two-handed sword, is actually wrong. As I'm sure you know because Kwhazit explains it on his site, the bastard sword is a hand-and-a-half sword.

So in addition to fitting the space constraints, Zweihänder has the beneficial side effect of making the description correct.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 11:07:30 am by Martze »

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 05, 2018, 10:57:50 am »
Thinking about it, orb might theoretically fit if I go for Mermaid Orb instead of Orb of Mermaids in the dialogue. However, I actually like the funny picture when imagining the literal Ball of Mermaids.

And I'll go for epee as otherwise estoc and silver estoc are too close together considering in which towns you get them.

How about Bijou Shield as it sounds more majestic for me?

And Kappa Spear is instantly funny because of the kappa meme.

So there remains the font question. Afaik these letters aren't included, but my editor doesn't show everything properly so I actually might find more. If Zweihänder is not possible, is Zweihander a proper word? As I can't really find anything about it.

Martze

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 05, 2018, 11:41:14 am »
Thinking about it, orb might theoretically fit if I go for Mermaid Orb instead of Orb of Mermaids in the dialogue. However, I actually like the funny picture when imagining the literal Ball of Mermaids.

And I'll go for epee as otherwise estoc and silver estoc are too close together considering in which towns you get them.

Sure, that makes sense.

How about Bijou Shield as it sounds more majestic for me?

If you're asking me, I prefer Gem to Bijou. It's better than Bort though.

And Kappa Spear is instantly funny because of the kappa meme.

Twitch emotes aren't the first thing I think of when I see the word "Kappa."

So there remains the font question. Afaik these letters aren't included, but my editor doesn't show everything properly so I actually might find more.

I appreciate you taking a look. I would be surprised if there weren't unused space in the character table (the Japanese game supported hiragana and katakana AND a limited selection of kanji, and that's easily over 100 characters) so there's no reason I can think of why it wouldn't be possible to hack those two letters in. But since I'm not volunteering to step forward and hack them in myself, I can't complain if it doesn't happen.

If Zweihänder is not possible, is Zweihander a proper word? As I can't really find anything about it.

In English, yes, Zweihander is fine. Diacritics are basically always optional in English, even in loanwords from languages where they're not. We don't have them on our keyboards and it's too much trouble to type them. When they are used, it's usually intended to give a bit of foreign flair (which I think works well on the names I'm suggesting it for.)

If you'd like to sidestep the whole issue, the generic English term for a two-handed sword is Great Sword or Greatsword. Claymore is yet another option. Zweihander gets used all the time in video games though.