News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Lufia-Patches by Artemis  (Read 105744 times)

Swordmaster

• View Profile
Re: Lufia-Patches by Artemis
« Reply #400 on: September 27, 2018, 07:41:33 pm »
...the eye strain is real.   :o

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 30, 2018, 11:56:31 am »
Okay, after speaking with Praetarius, looks like there's a variable (7E:094B in the Snes9x savestate data) that for some reason heavily affects the way damage is calculated. Neither of us knows anything about WHY this variable got chanced during playthrough. Or why this piece of shit thing exists at all.

I dunno, I might look into it more these days if I feel into it. To at least get when that variable gets chanced. To at least verify whether its absolutely plot related or not.

October 02, 2018, 08:58:51 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Wow... Just wow!

After watching some Let's Plays and doing some testing, the answer is the Magma Key on Dragon Mountain.

Collect the Magma Key and the damage calculation changes fundamentally - which makes absolutely perfect sense and is in no way some random bullshit.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:58:51 pm by Artemis »

portnoi88

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 06, 2018, 05:37:57 pm »
Hello,
I'm trying to apply the frue lufia patch. I have very little experience.
How do i know if the patch is correctly applied?

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 07, 2018, 10:17:22 am »
Just watch the intro scene. If the patch is applied correctly, Erim's very first words will be:

"I've arrived."

This goes for all of the major patches.

portnoi88

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 07, 2018, 12:48:10 pm »
Just watch the intro scene. If the patch is applied correctly, Erim's very first words will be:

"I've arrived."

This goes for all of the major patches.

Thank you. I did it.
But the MD5 didn't match, i couldn't find a rom with the correct MD5, is there any problem?

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #405 on: October 08, 2018, 05:31:43 am »
I guess not. However, I don't really get that MD5 stuff, though.

October 13, 2018, 10:59:41 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I did another update to Kureji:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/e4jyhga5r9jd379/Lufia-Patches_v3.zip

It's only cosmetic, but somewhat crucial as it changes Retry into Start and Start into Grind so that the game tells you more obviously which is the better mode to start with.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 11:00:50 am by Artemis »

gadesx

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 11, 2018, 10:11:03 pm »
About the bugs I talked some time ago.
I remember this, own console have it too. This part of jumps it's throughable in some parts.

Discovered in my last gameplay, using the chain in this part over the pillars,
you can go through the tiles.

Maybe all are knowed. There's a lot  :laugh:

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 12, 2018, 04:20:51 am »
Yeah, I guess there are still dozens of them there somewhere.

November 15, 2018, 10:29:49 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Did a little update on Spekkio as I felt Daos lacked somewhat the special oompf feeling.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dmkpqrk31e29rzf/Lufia-Patches_v3.zip/file

Edit 24/11/18: added also red jelly to the bestiary in Spekkio
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 04:47:07 pm by Artemis »

Martze

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 25, 2018, 05:16:09 pm »
I have a question—is there a complete list of changes to item and enemy names anywhere? I really feel like it's something that should have been included in the patch. It's frustrating to look at guides and see them refer to enemies and items and not be certain which ones they mean. Some changes are obvious, like "Gorem" to "Golem", but others are not, like "Apple Cider" to "Tap Rose." Not only would this list be very helpful to players of the patch, it would also be a fascinating read for people like me who are interested in the topic of localization.

By the way, I'm really glad this project exists! I played Frue Lufia v2.9 a few years ago and I'm currently playing through version 3.0. I think fixing problems in classic games—whether it's due to censorship or simply bugs—is some of the best and most important work the ROM hacking community does. I really appreciate what you do, and keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 05:25:35 pm by Martze »

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 26, 2018, 10:16:52 am »
I suggest you to have a look at this site:
http://kwhazit.ucoz.net/trans/ed2/index.html

It covers most of the name changes, though, no, there isn't a complete list.

gadesx

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 26, 2018, 11:33:40 am »
 Vodka > Sour cider
Good reason to have a tool to extract/insert the script
and re-translate the game, in every language  :beer:

Martze

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 27, 2018, 08:01:42 am »
I suggest you to have a look at this site:
http://kwhazit.ucoz.net/trans/ed2/index.html

It covers most of the name changes, though, no, there isn't a complete list.

Hey, thanks—this is very interesting to me! This site consumed hours of my time yesterday and I was really only skimming the site. This definitely scratched my itch as far as being interested in why certain names were changed.

As a reference for people playing through the patch and also trying to look up information in walkthroughs, though, it doesn't really do much. Is there something I could do to help with, at least, starting to put together such a reference?

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 27, 2018, 12:17:07 pm »
At least for the important ailment protection stuff there are both names listed in case they are too different.

Martze

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 27, 2018, 02:43:14 pm »
At least for the important ailment protection stuff there are both names listed in case they are too different.

That site was extremely interesting to me and it's certainly a big help in figuring out what items are named what. While useful, though, it is not ideal as a gameplay reference, because it doesn't actually list the names used in Frue Lufia. For example, what Frue Lufia calls a "Yukionna Bit", the site calls a "Snow Faerie Sword." In the official release this weapon is called a "Snow sword", and thus this is what walkthroughs, guides, and the fandom all call it. From the perspective of someone playing the hack, who hasn't already played Lufia II enough times to memorize the whole game, they may look up a guide on the Ancient Cave, and wonder what the hell a "Yukionna Bit" is and why the guide doesn't mention it, or continue fruitlessly searching for a "Snow sword" because they don't realize the "Yukionna Bit" they already have is the same thing. A Google search for "Yukionna Bit" doesn't shed any light on the matter either. It can be figured out with a little educated guesswork, but there are many more examples of items that have three different names between the original release, Frue Lufia, and that site. It becomes a burden to the player. It would be a great kindness to the player to provide a reference to alleviate this burden as much as possible. This similar hack of Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, for example, includes an exhaustive list of changes.

Frue Lufia is a good enough experience that I would love to recommend to people that they use it the first time they play Lufia II. It's a vastly improved experience, and I don't think it's unfair to call it a strict upgrade over the game as it was released. But without some kind of reference on renamed gameplay terms (items, enemies, etc.) they can use to translate between the game and guides, that recommendation would have to come with a big asterisk. I've encountered difficulties with renamed terms several times in my current playthrough of the game, and I'm someone with a fair amount of knowledge of and interest in Lufia II, the Japanese language, and the localization process. I'm sure it would be even harder on someone who didn't have that context. I didn't know that site existed until you linked it to me, since as far as I can tell it isn't linked anywhere in the zip file the patches come in.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 02:52:26 pm by Martze »

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 28, 2018, 04:58:05 am »
Yeah, it would be helpful, but I'm too lazy to do it. So if anybody else has the passion to do so, I'd gladly include it!

As kwhazit made an update on his side, I guess I'll also make another update - with also considering vivi's frue addendum notes. Guess I'll release at christmas.

gadesx

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 28, 2018, 08:08:55 am »
I think that the translation of items have to choose the best terms.
For items nearly unused as siders I prefer the names uncensored. It's a bar.
For weapons, vanilla or frue most well.
The spanish translation was a joke, a lot of swords are knifes. Dual blade too as Cuch. Dual, maybe limitations of characters but there is swords. Esp. Nieve as Snow sword if I remember.
The font was changed a bit too in pal versions.

Martze

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 28, 2018, 12:05:46 pm »
Yeah, it would be helpful, but I'm too lazy to do it. So if anybody else has the passion to do so, I'd gladly include it!

As kwhazit made an update on his side, I guess I'll also make another update - with also considering vivi's frue addendum notes. Guess I'll release at christmas.

I guess I'll take a little time to put something together, then. I doubt I'll be able to make a complete reference, at least not at first, but a sort of "survival guide" that translates the most relevant terms, such as Ancient Cave blue chest items, items commonly used to feed capsule monsters (Apple Cider/Tap Rose/Taplows), and so on.

What are "vivi's frue addendum notes"? That sounds interesting and potentially useful.

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 29, 2018, 12:40:04 am »
Okay, here is the update:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zv6v6e2601vq3yb/Lufia-Patches_v4.zip/file

I guess I'll upload it around christmas then. So this technically is an unofficial beta for now.

Martze

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 01, 2018, 02:30:56 pm »
Cool, I'll switch my current playthrough from v3 to v4. I'll let you know if I find any issues with it.

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 01, 2018, 04:44:12 pm »
I'll do another very minor update very soon, though. :)