News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Lufia-Patches by Artemis  (Read 100759 times)

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Re: Lufia-Patches by Artemis
« Reply #380 on: September 09, 2018, 07:30:47 am »
I would much prefer removing Confusic Box, at the very least, because I very strongly dislike it. (And I am the one who suggested it in the first place.) But we'll do unchanged 3.0 if that's what you'd want instead. :thumbsup:

Edit - The opening post has been rewritten; it's been a long time coming.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 07:48:18 am by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 10, 2018, 05:32:08 am »
In the oopening you should replace "Danger Nose" with "The Wrath of Foomy" as the former isn't within the projects folder anymore.

About your frue addendum, some remarks:

Actually Deflect may correspond more to L1's Bounce instead of actual Deflect. It's muujir in japanese.

I choose Bright Knife over Light Knife not only for unambiguity, but also because in Japanese it's written the same as Bright Armor is written. Whereas light is technically closer, unfortunately there already is another light armor.

And Frenzy Ring was a pure gameplay decision. I were totally fine with it staying Fury Ring if only that wouldn't imply some sleep protection like all the other fury equipment.

And Frue 3.0 isn't reuploaded, right? You for sure can include your complete addendum as well if you like. You can even call it like Frue v3.2. And about choice: Let's be honest, there is absolutely no choice between a v3.2 and a v3.0. :)

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 10, 2018, 05:49:08 am »
The reason it's Mute is cos Lufia III named Bounce/Deflect as Mute/Silence. All three games call them Muur/Muujir in Japanese. I felt that Mute and Silence fit much better. (Bounce/Deflect sound like reflect spells...) So I renamed Bounce/Deflect as Mute/Silence in my Lufia I mod. Lufia II might call the one spell Muujir in Japanese, but since it doesn't have an according LV2 spell, I gave it the LV1 spell name instead. Same reason I changed Dread to Drain in Lufia II. I put a lot of thought into each change.

For example, for a year now, I've been wringing my hands over changing the elemental rings to how base Frue Lufia has it in Lufia I/III. There was a Bolt Ring already in Lufia III (Boosts thunder-elemental magic; lets wearer cast Bolt) so I was worried people would get confused if the Flash Rings became Bolt Rings and the Bolt Ring became something else. If I make a single change for a shared term, it affects all three games. Finally, I decided that I hated "S-Drop. Ring" in Lufia II so much, that I'd go ahead and pull the plug. Name changes are as follows...

Spark Ring > Fire Ring
Gale Ring > Ice Ring
Droplet Ring > Water Ring
Flash Ring > Bolt Ring (also changed in dialogue in Lufia I)
Bang Ring > Bomb Ring (I don't entirely like it, but it sounds better than "Explosive Ring")
S-Spark Ring > S-Fire Ring (Fire RingX in Lufia III)
S-Gale Ring > S-Ice Ring (Ice Ring X in Lufia III)
S-Drop. Ring > S-Water Ring
S-Flash Ring > S-Bolt Ring (Bolt RingX in Lufia III)
F.BallRing > Blaze Ring
Blzrd.Ring > Frost Ring
Bolt Ring > Shock Ring

New names for Lufia III's intermediary-level rings were inspired by Horizon Zero Dawn's element names. (Though "Blaze" actually comes from the name of the item needed to craft fire ammo in that game.) As for why the Super Rings in Lufia III use X to denote their Super status instead of S... Not every ring has the room for "S-" in front of the name, and just slapping the S at the front with no dash, a la "SBrawnRing", looks unpolished. "BrawnRingS" looks like a typo of "BrawnRings". So I took X from how Breath of Fire I and II on SNES named their strongest spells (FireX, BoltX, NovaX, etc.)

Every single change I make has thought behind it. Even things that just say, "Preference" in my Trilogy Addendum changelog. It's nerve-wracking at times, lol.

Anyway, I digress. I'll have to think for a few days on the uploading both patches thing. I'm exhausted from the constant uploading, editing, re-uploading business these past few days.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:05:38 am by vivify93 »

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 10, 2018, 06:15:22 am »
Okay, then think it over before doing the final reupload!

About Deflect, however, it takes 5 MP (like Bounce, right?) and it's quite effective with an 80% chance of connecting. It's more similar to higher level spells like Coma - compared to Drowsy.

September 10, 2018, 06:40:20 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
And the link in the first post isn't the newest. This is:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/uqujw1blaws7o7c/Lufia-Patches_v3.zip
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 06:40:20 am by Artemis »

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 10, 2018, 10:07:28 am »
thanks for pointing that out, fixed it

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 10, 2018, 05:45:25 pm »
So what "Frue" patch is on the RHDN site right now? I downloaded and patched it the day of release which said v3.0, now there's mention of a ReUp'ed version, and v3.1 and this site still says v3.0. This is worse then Chronosplit's shenanigans.

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 10, 2018, 08:06:22 pm »
edit - never mind
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 01:39:49 am by vivify93 »

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 10, 2018, 09:04:24 pm »
Special is right, though, about it being way too unnecessary confusing the way it is now.

Therefore the proper v3.0 should be uploaded as soon as possible - be it with or without the alternative addendum. (And a proper difference description in case it's included.)

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 11, 2018, 12:52:28 am »
ok

edit 1 - [redacted for irrelevancy]

edit 2 - UPLOADED TO SITE.

OK, in case it's still confusing for anyone:

THE FINAL UPLOAD OF FRUE LUFIA IS LIVE ON RHDN.

IF YOU OBTAINED FRUE LUFIA FROM RHDN, YOU NEED TO DELETE YOUR OLD FRUE LUFIA ROMs AND APPLY THIS NEW PATCH TO AN UNMODIFIED, HEADERED, NTSC-U LUFIA II ROM

This final upload is a ZIP archive named "Frue_Lufia_v3_orig.zip".

"Frue_Lufia_v3_orig.zip" contains the following:

The official, stock, unedited Frue Lufia v3 patch by Artemis. THIS IS THE SAME FRUE LUFIA REVISION THAT YOU CAN FIND IN THE LUFIA-PATCHES ARCHIVE. CHECKSUM IS CORRECT. PATCH APPLIES TO HEADERED ROM. SPECS OF USED BASE ROM ARE AT THE END OF THIS POST. (last modified Jan 16 2018) - Frue_Lufia_3.ips

Text file readme (last modified Jan 16 2018) - Frue_Lufia_v3.txt

Text file on why Artemis recommends Spekkio Lufia over Frue Lufia (last modified Apr 18 2018) - Why_SPEKKIO_Lufia_actually_is_a_BETTER_experience_compared_to_Frue_Lufia.txt

Text file describing the 3 main patches, as well as bug fixes and text updates used (last modified Apr 16 2018) - About_the_projects.txt

Text file explaining significant changes in Frue Lufia, as well as a full descriptive breakdown of what each bug fix or patch did (Just so everyone understands, THE DESCRIPTIVE BREAKDOWN IS NEWLY-ADDED. THIS IS MY WORK, NOT ARTEMIS'. IT DOES NOT AFFECT THE PATCH OR GAME. THIS IS NOW MY ONLY RECENT CONTRIBUTION TO FRUE LUFIA.) (last modified Sep 11 2018) - Notable_Changes.txt

List of equipment that have always provided protection against status ailments (Again, just so everyone understands, THIS IS NOT A CHANGE ARTEMIS, RELNQSHD, OR RAINPONCHO MADE TO LUFIA II. EVEN IN THE UNMODIFIED RETAIL RELEASE, THIS GEAR PROTECTED AGAINST BAD STATUS. THIS IS NOT NECESSARY INFORMATION TO PLAY FRUE LUFIA. Status ailment protection is not well-known, because the in-game item descriptions don't list these defenses. Hence the text file.) (last modified Mar 23 2018) - ailment_protection_list.txt

[edit - removed enlarged text here because the final upload is on the site]

APPLY ONLY TO A HEADERED NTSC-U LUFIA II ROM. NTSC-U ROMS HAVE THE NATSUME LOGO ON STARTUP, NOT THE NINTENDO LOGO. Use TUSH for header issues: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/608/ If you are a Mac or Linux user, I don't know what to tell you other than seek a different ROM. I WILL NOT PROVIDE YOU A ROM.

THESE ARE THE SPECS OF THE ROM YOU WANT TO APPLY FRUE LUFIA TO (As well as Kureji Lufia and Spekkio Lufia):
- Lufia II - Rise of the Sinistrals (U) [!].smc
- Size: 2.50 MB (2,621,952 bytes)
- SHA1: 8B2CB09B1A0122027FB3863974D0728E53FE8B69
- MD5: D35FCF90C273D4BC12EED59120954E58
- CRC32: 2FAEBB78
- Apply only to a headered ROM

are we good now? was i still too confusing for everyone? what should i clarify at this point
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 03:16:22 am by vivify93 »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 11, 2018, 03:18:19 am »
This stuff even got me confused, but I think you've cleared it up in your post.

This is worse then Chronosplit's shenanigans.
Nah, it's missing three more updates in the submission queue to be that bad.  :P

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: September 11, 2018, 03:23:53 am »
This stuff even got me confused, but I think you've cleared it up in your post.
i appreciate the message, chronosplit. i was wondering though, is there something else you think i need to clear up still in my previous post? thanks!

edit - decided to give a real breakdown of each change in the trilogy addendum rather than just "preference" or "sounds cooler" to illustrate the point of why i changed stuff haha

https://pastebin.com/SVtrHXfF
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:03:18 am by vivify93 »

Swordmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 11, 2018, 09:47:09 am »
Bang Ring > Bomb Ring (I don't entirely like it, but it sounds better than "Explosive Ring").

If you are dissatisfied with Bomb Ring, allow me to propose a few alternatives for your consideration:  Lava Ring, Magma Ring, Burst Ring, Flare Ring, Blast Ring, Atomic Ring.

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 11, 2018, 10:37:50 am »
I do like Atomic! I think I'll keep it as Bomb for now though, solely because it makes sense in context and I don't really want to upload another revision anytime soon.

Frue Lufia v3.0 is now on the site. I'm deeply sorry for any confusion and inconvenience I've caused. Thanks so much to Zynk for pushing this final update through. Artemis--if you do any more Frue Lufia updates, please upload it to RHDN yourself lol ;D

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 11, 2018, 10:44:26 am »
From my perspective about everything looks good.  Thanks for the last upload!

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 11, 2018, 12:04:19 pm »
Nah, it's missing three more updates in the submission queue to be that bad.  :P
Seriously, love your Pokemon hacks, would recommend them to anyone, but as someone who likes to keep things up to date, you can get pretty carried away.

If you are dissatisfied with Bomb Ring, allow me to propose a few alternatives for your consideration:  Lava Ring, Magma Ring, Burst Ring, Flare Ring, Blast Ring, Atomic Ring.

Really like Blast Ring.

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 11, 2018, 12:09:48 pm »
Artemis--if you do any more Frue Lufia updates, please upload it to RHDN yourself lol ;D

I'm feeling the same. Hopefully this just is it now for quite some looooooong time.

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 11, 2018, 01:02:15 pm »
Really like Blast Ring.
As do I, but unfortunately it doesn't work. OK, so, I didn't go in-depth cos I didn't wanna shoot all of Swordmaster's suggestions down. But here goes.

"Lava, Magma, Flare" don't work since they sound fire-elemental.

"Blast Ring" was its name in original Lufia I (The translator couldn't seem to decide if the rings should reference the LV1 or LV2 spells) and while I do like it, we're avoiding using the names of spells in elemental rings now.

Lastly, "Burst"--for some reason--doesn't feel very... descriptive to me. I don't know why.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 11, 2018, 08:19:59 pm »
Flak? Flack?

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 27, 2018, 10:46:45 am »

Does anyone know what the hell went wrong there? Obviously the right Selan stat-wise is better in every aspect. However, for some reason she gets way more damage. Looks like for some reason the row damage doesn't get scaled down properly in the right case.

The only difference is that I proceded in the story. Left is at the end, right is short after getting Artea. Is there anything about damage calculation I just don't know?

The pics are made in vanilla version.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 27, 2018, 03:25:35 pm »