News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Lufia-Patches by Artemis  (Read 100380 times)

Artemis

• View Profile
Re: Lufia-Patches by Artemis
« Reply #360 on: September 04, 2018, 07:02:10 am »

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 04, 2018, 09:17:10 am »
That's really good to hear! Thanks for the screens.

I'm having trouble making Kureji sound exciting. This is what I have so far.

Based off of Frue Lufia, Kureji Lufia is a difficulty mod of legendary proportions. All of your opponents have been beefed up by a crazy amount. This might be Maxim's toughest journey yet! Will you manage to emerge victorious?

It's highly recommended you check out the text file "survival_tips"!

To aid your survival, included are a bestiary, and a list of equipment that have always provided protection against status ailments.

Apply to a headered NTSC-U Lufia II ROM. NTSC-U ROMs have the Natsume logo at startup, not the Nintendo logo.

Any thoughts?
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 04, 2018, 10:20:16 am »
Where did the names Frue, Kureji and Spekkio come from, are they just named after their author's or something? Or is there some hidden meaning to them, I only ask because personally I'm going to rename all these patches to Lufia II - Frue Version, etc. because in explorer it makes things hard to track down since you have no idea what "Spekkio" is when things are ordered by name, it's also not Lufia "One" game...  Project II: Final Fantasy IV is another example, mines just Final Fantasy IV: Project II to better keep it grouped with all the other Final Fantasy IV hacks.

Maybe consider an alternative (official) name that starts with Lufia II: ____

Also I mean no offense here.

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 04, 2018, 10:33:15 am »
Frue comes from a typo in Lufia - The Legend returns. (Fruely hardcore actually has two typos from that game. true->frue and truly->truely)

Spekkio comes from the optional superboss from Chrono trigger whose behaviour (of level adjusting) the Egg Dragon imitates.

Kureji is the romanized version of writing crazy in Japanese.

If an alternate name is more feasible, I'd go with "Lufia II - Frue Lufia" etc. then.

And I'm thinking about the description text.

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 04, 2018, 10:35:37 am »
Project II was just a working title I gave my FFIV mod. I thought it sounded mysterious and a little cool. The "II" comes from how FFIV was "Final Fantasy II" in America in 1991. There was going to be an accompanying Project I and Project III, but they didn't pan out. It was originally just called Project II, but I added Final Fantasy IV on the end to aid people's searches.

Thanks for thinking of the description, Artemis! I appreciate it. Difficulty mods are not my forte.

Swordmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 04, 2018, 11:45:39 am »
Hello, vivify93.  Hisashiburi desune.  Something isn't quite right about the Romhacking.net entry for Frue Lufia.  I thought you might want to know.  The "ROM / ISO Information" is thus:

Lufia II - Rise of the Sinistrals (U) [!].smc
    Size: 2.50 MB (2,621,440 bytes)
    SHA1: A89931C1F29B161B8BE717DFAB4A4ADB54B42B84
    MD5: 6EFC477D6203ED2B3B9133C1CD9E9C5D
    CRC32: 20F2AC29
    Apply only to a headered ROM

The SHA1, MD5, and CRC32 match up with "Lufia II - Rise of the Sinistrals (U) [b1].smc" in the ROM collection that I have.  It is possible that my collection is outdated.  However, after checking with TUSH, this ROM is unheadered.  Furthermore, I have had no success patching this file, with or without a header.  Please advise.  ::bows::

SCO

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 04, 2018, 02:48:35 pm »
imo snes hacks submitted to rhdnet should be submitted as no-header. I understand that a long running hack with a header is probably still so for the dev environment of the author but for users it's a additional step nowadays that can create errors.

It's actually pretty easy to transform a snes/pce ips header hack into no-header with https://github.com/heuripedes/ipsbehead

(or just use bps).

As for wrong md5sum indicated on the romhacking pages, that's sadly not unusual because submitters often instead of checking with a md5, crc32 or sha1 utility they search for 'romname crc32' on google... which might get wrong results. We'll see what's happening here, but as a rule the readme has priority over the romhacking page checksum information for me.

Another common error is to only post the md5sum of the game *after* patching, which doesn't match the rom naturally.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 02:54:06 pm by SCO »

Swordmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 04, 2018, 04:13:06 pm »
@SCO - I had actually done as you suggested as well.  Header or no header, on both .ips and .smc/.sfc, the result is the same:  infinite black screen.  Strangely, though, I have an old beta of Frue Lufia v3 from a year or two ago that works just fine.  I remember having a similar issue back then, yet I fail to recall the resolution.  The ol' hippocampus isn't what it used to be, alas.

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 04, 2018, 07:45:40 pm »
Well son of a bitch, you're right. How in the world did I put in the wrong info? Thanks for catching that!

Edit 1 - I think I also might have mixed up patches in one of the Frue Lufia uploads, explaining the patching problems. (I had all 3 patches and their documentation in one folder, and as I was updating documentation, I might have confused one of the patches) This latest upload should include the proper v3 patch.

For now, the Frue Lufia in the Lufia-Patches archive should have the right version.

I submitted the proper hashes for both mods. Sorry about that, guys. I've had a lot on my mind lately.

Edit 2 - Almost forgot! Here are the proper hashes for a headered ROM.

Lufia II - Rise of the Sinistrals (U) [!].smc
Headered / NTSC-U
2.50 MB (2,621,952 bytes)
CRC32: 2FAEBB78
SHA1: 8B2CB09B1A0122027FB3863974D0728E53FE8B69
MD5: D35FCF90C273D4BC12EED59120954E58
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 08:11:13 pm by vivify93 »

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 05, 2018, 07:05:36 am »
Based off of Frue Lufia, Kureji Lufia is a difficulty mod of legendary proportions. All of your opponents have been beefed up by a crazy amount. Especially the bosses now have only one goal: And that is clinging on their wretched lives. They don't want to just fade out into obscurity and nothingness, and therefore they will do EVERYTHING which is necessary to stay alive and put their mark on the world. This might be Maxim's toughest journey yet! Will you manage to emerge victorious?

As it cannot be said often enough: It's hard... It's really, really hard - and it sure as hell won't get any easier as you progress on your journey! Most bosses have new gimmicks you'll have to deal with in order to even be able to survive at all against them. Especially the later bosses have the potential to wipe out your entire party very, very fast. You won't only need a strong party, but you also need some good strategies and tactics like wearing the right equipment and analysing and completely understanding the enemy attack and behaviour patterns.

Of course, the Ancient Cave has gotten some heavy tweaks as well. This is the place where you really will feel the tremendous new power of the regular enemies the most, whereas you will find masses of treasures as elusive as... green tea or ear picks. So, you better prepare yourself as good as you can, when blazing your trail down to all the formidable atrocities that dwell deep down at the ineffable abyss beyond any of your imagination...

It's highly recommended you check out the text file "survival_tips"!

To aid your survival, included are a bestiary, and a list of equipment that have always provided protection against status ailments.

Apply to a headered NTSC-U Lufia II ROM. NTSC-U ROMs have the Natsume logo at startup, not the Nintendo logo.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 09:46:00 am by Artemis »

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 05, 2018, 08:18:11 pm »
Awesomeness! I will submit this tomorrow. :D

September 07, 2018, 01:49:00 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Kureji has been submitted, and the correct hashes for Frue Lufia and Spekkio Lufia are up. (And in Frue Lufia's case, I ensured the patch was the right one.)

Edit 1 - Kureji is up!

Edit 2 - OK, so there's another problem with Frue Lufia's upload... There were two Frue Lufia ZIPs in the folder I uploaded from, (One being an old one, the other being the newest) and I stupidly uploaded the bugged release again.

Edit 3 - http://www.bwass.org/bucket/Frue_Lufia_v3_REUP.zip Here. If anyone needs this ASAP, this is the same exact package for Frue Lufia as I uploaded to RHDN just tonight. No estimates when it'll be on the site. I'm so sorry I keep screwing this up.

Edit 4 - The reupload is now on RHDN.

Frue: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4129/
Spekkio: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4132/
Kureji: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4138/
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 03:36:35 am by vivify93 »

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 08, 2018, 05:04:55 am »
Kureji and Spekkio are fine, but the Frue ROM still is another one with some modifications from you.

Maybe you want to actually upload both versions which I'm fine with. However, I didn't get all of the non-cosmeic changes, so I don't know whether it's a fully ready version or just some unfinished playground instead.

One remark: You changed Raid Bug into Raid Beetle. However, it's still Raid Bug in the overworld dialogue when you get him. Due to limited space I chose bug over beetle there.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 05:14:28 am by Artemis »

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 08, 2018, 06:52:40 pm »
I apologize. I have now submitted the original Frue Lufia (and just it alone) but I did still make 2 small changes. Shortsword and Confusic Box are now Short Sword and Music Box. If you remember, back in 2011, I was the one who suggested you make these alterations.

On the first part, I've come to find out that unlike the word Longsword, the words Short Sword are pretty much always kept as two words when referencing that type of blade. Sometimes in a fantasy setting, if a writer wants to try and keep "consistent," they'll write Short Sword as one word, but in the real world, grammar sets a precedent for the two-word "Short Sword". You can't find any results on Google, for instance, for a "shortsword" aside from some MMO and table-top RPGs.

As for "Confusic Box"--I was 17 when I made up the "clever" portmanteau of Confuse + Music Box to try and preserve the feeling of Figgoru, the combination of Feeg (JP name for spell Confuse) and Orgel (Japanese word for a music box). As an adult, I've just really grown to hate it.

Everything else is the same as stock Frue Lufia, Again, I'm very sorry for doing this.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 11:00:34 pm by vivify93 »

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 08, 2018, 07:15:43 pm »
Is Frue Lufia suppose to have a bad checksum whereas Kureji and Spekkio are fine?

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 08, 2018, 10:03:43 pm »
What do you mean by bad checksum? Does it prevent you from playing the game on real hardware or Higan?

It's probably do do with my messing about with patches. I'll fix it.

Edit - Never mind, I fixed it. The only differences from stock Frue Lufia are:

- Shortsword > Short Sword
- Confusic Box (ughhh) > Music Box

Checksum is repaired with IpsAndSum, game works. Nothing else is altered. Font is the same, menus are in all caps, inventory text naming is the same. Again, I apologize. I'll submit this one after the latest submission goes through.

I changed the version number to v3.1 as a result of the two very minor changes.

http://www.bwass.org/bucket/Frue_Lufia_v3-1.zip
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 11:01:39 pm by vivify93 »

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #375 on: September 09, 2018, 04:01:07 am »
dict.cc says shortsword and longsword, leo.org says shortsword and long sword. And wiktionary allows shortsword, short sword and short-sword. Of course, this is with quite a lot grain of salt and doesn't count as fully reliable source - especially with leo messing up so blatantly obvious. Guess I'll stick with it due to consistency now.

I prefer Confusic Box, but Music Box is also okay.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 04:10:29 am by Artemis »

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 09, 2018, 05:35:25 am »
I never liked it, and it doesn't fit in Lufia III due to the 10-letter gear name limit anyway. So thank you so much for letting me change it. And once more, I apologize for swapping the patches. (The one I submitted is fully working. I had totally forgotten that Capsule Monsters' initial types were referenced in dialogue. I changed RaidBeetle enemy in Lufia III to Raid Bug for consistency now.)

So I guess I can come out of the closet with this... If anyone wants a copy of Frue Lufia that has more consistent terms with Lufia & the Fortress of Doom Restored and Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup, you can find it here:

http://www.bwass.org/bucket/FrueLufia-TrilogyAddendum_v2-1.zip

As for the official site upload, I submitted the corrected checksum version of Frue Lufia just tonight. (I'm sure the mods are sick of my constant uploads. Please let this one be that last, lol)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 01:51:55 am by vivify93 »

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 09, 2018, 05:51:54 am »
So is it only your v3.1 now that'll be included? Or will there be both versions?

There should be both versions in the package then as well as a small readme which explicitly explains these minor differences.
With 3.1 being the fully addendum version in contrast to 3.0.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 06:13:53 am by Artemis »

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 09, 2018, 07:16:42 am »
No, I just put 3.1 in there, which is just 3.0 with Short Sword and Music Box. I don't want very much to upload the Trilogy Addendum to the site. I appreciate the gesture, but it was you who said that too many choices will make people confused, right? If someone really wants Frue Lufia consistent Lufia I restored and Lufia III Text Cleanup, they can check this thread. :)

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 09, 2018, 07:23:20 am »
However, only these two changes feel half-assed if there exists this addendum. So I wish for the unchanged 3.0 then.