News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Lufia-Patches by Artemis  (Read 46795 times)

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Lufia-Patches by Artemis
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2016, 04:45:53 am »
As long as you can find better items in the Ancient Cave now, I think that's all that counts.

I guess we're done here, huh? At least according to Artemis' list.
This is the music glitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVuiPL_j2cU

And there are also these glitches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPOG4X94wQ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohBPCIjCnsg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwra-3rLrpE

As this altogether really is a lot, so let's have a look at what's important.

The remaining boundary issues:
Completely not worth it, especially considering you said these ones are harder to do. I expect to be that Dragon Mountain one also to be somehow tied into the puzzle logic (related to the falling bridge, I guess). So I'd say it's the best to screw these.

Capsule Monsters feeding:
Also not that important because it doesn't do too much harm - aside from making the CMs some snobbish and obnoxious assholes. I'd say, skip it if it makes too much trouble.

Pot glitch:
Looks strange, but doesn't do any real harm. So, especially considering that it looks fixing it has the potential to destroy more than it actually fixes, this one can be skipped as well.

Lufia report glitch:
This one is a bitch because it totally spits on all your effort and invested hours to beat the Ancient Cave. So this should be fixed if possible.

Music glitch:
This one is annoying because it easily happens and doesn't go away unless you reset. So this one also should be fixed if possible.

Inn stay:
Not really a glitch because it just seems like an intentional safety measurement to ensure you always can refill your powers at all. Theoretically, instead of not touching your money at all, the inn keepers at least could take all the remaining money. But that's not really worth it. Let's just call it generosity.

Hook sound glitch:
Somewhat annoying but as it seems easily to cancel, so no real harm. Therefore, this one really isn't important.

Ancient Cave creation glitch:
This one is annoying as it can completely screw over your run. Especially annoying, if you found great stuff, but no Providence yet. However, I don't have any savestate for this one.

Arek intro glitch:
I don't care. If anything, it makes Arek even more mysterious, so it's actually not a bad thing, eh?  ;)
I'd say screw this one.

Ancient Cave chests:
Actually I'm undecided about this one. I say you can look whether you find an error that lets us make conclusions about how actually it was supposed to be. Then we can think about it again. If, however you don't find this kind of error, then let's skip this one, too.

That's all there is about glitches and bugs I think.

I'm in agreement on fixing the remaining boundary issues, as well as the pot glitch, hook sound glitch, and Arek intro glitch. And personally, I think fixing the Ancient Cave generation could be a whole heap of trouble that isn't worth looking into. One of the reasons this happens is due to the truly randomly-generated nature of the cave.

Everything else has been fixed. Like I said, in my opinion, we're done here.

So, Artemis... Since I posted these here and all, do you possibly think we could work on uploading all of these patches to RHDN's database?

Edit - On the Lufia III side of things, I just fixed a boatload of typos that were reported back in 2009! I'm pretty happy with this. :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 06:11:04 am by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2016, 11:54:09 am »
Nothing was changed by me for any of the fixed item lists at all.But only 128 weapon items. Which I can asm hackfix to give 256 weapon choices also.

Not necessary as there are less than 128 weapons (so around 110?), anyway.

October 19, 2016, 12:01:34 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I guess we're done here, huh? At least according to Artemis' list.
I'm in agreement on fixing the remaining boundary issues, as well as the pot glitch, hook sound glitch, and Arek intro glitch. And personally, I think fixing the Ancient Cave generation could be a whole heap of trouble that isn't worth looking into. One of the reasons this happens is due to the truly randomly-generated nature of the cave.

Agreed. The only glitch out of them that matters is the Ancient Cave generations. Whereas it can be annoying if it happens, it's really, really rare. And as poncho said it'd take unfeasible effort, so let's skip this one, too.

Before we can add it to the database, let's have a look on these two issues, though:

1) There are still some inconsistencies in the list of obtainable red chest items. I'll have a look on it.

2) The capsule monsters feeding:
The two options don't work that well because option 1 makes feeding them even more painfully and option 2 doesn't switch the preferred item even when the monster gets feeded it.

So for the feeding I suggest these two options:
#1 Looking at how the PAL version actually does it.
#2 Do nothing.
I don't really care so I let you choose.  :)

October 19, 2016, 01:17:55 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Before I check the item list, some questions as I don't get it fully. So:

Setting the byte 01 properly in the item code is necessary, but not sufficient.

The values this byte can take on are:

$01 for Arrow
        $03 for Hook
        $04 for Bomb
        $06 for Fire arrow
        $07 for Hammer

$20 for S-fire ring,
                S-water ring,
                S-ice ring,
                S-thun ring

$40 for a lot of "good" equipment items

$60 for a lot of "good" equipment items, including (but not limited to) all the blue chest items.
            Also for 'Curselifter', 'Providence' and 'Tag candy'

$70 for Egg sword,
                Pearl armor,
                Pearl shield,
                Pearl helmet,
                Egg ring

$80 for all the fruits

$00 for all the other items (including the 'Dual blade')

Ring menu items are not in the pool, of course.

What if the byte is 20? Is e. g. the S-Ice Ring included normally to the new list now?

And what is the difference between 00 and 40? (And what's the difference between 00, 40 and 20 in case of these rings?)

And 60, 70, 80 means it's excluded from the list, right? (Unless some more important factors kick in as mentioned below - see e. g. Magic fruit)

tl; dr
Am I right that the hierarchy is:
#1 the item is on a fixed list (such as potions etc.)
#2 the item is not excluded by other factors not determined by byte 01 (such as being unsellable/important like Dual Blade)
#3 NOW byte 01 kicks in and is filtering all items which cannot get decided over by #1 or #2
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 01:24:56 pm by Artemis »

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2016, 01:59:19 pm »
Feeding fix - taken from PAL. You must manually revert any old feeding fixes.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=00895423690552476374

Am I right that the hierarchy is:
#1 the item is on a fixed list (such as potions etc.)
#2 the item is not excluded by other factors not determined by byte 01 (such as being unsellable/important like Dual Blade)
#3 NOW byte 01 kicks in and is filtering all items which cannot get decided over by #1 or #2

If item is on a fixed list, it always has a chance to show up. Any floor regardless of rng pool.

byte 0 is checked first.
- If 02 is not set, throw out  (x0, x1, x4, x5, x8, x9, xC, xD)
- If 20 is set, throw out  (2x, 3x, 6x, 7x, Ax, Bx, Ex, Fx)

byte 1 is checked next.
- If 20 is set, throw out

Everything else is thrown into rng pool at some point.

flags 10, 40, 80 = ??, could be unused info bits

edit: rng pool at b95
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=96791637002102028589
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 02:04:20 pm by rainponcho »

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2016, 02:10:03 pm »
Ah, fine, then I understand it now!

And what exactly determines what Capsule Monster feeding rank an item has?
And what determines whether or not a CM will ask for a specific item?

Also, there's a list with blue chest items consisting of 41 entries. Can you add 1 or 2 more items to that list?
(Please say: 'Yes, it is possible. However, the list can only be increased by exactly one more item. Adding 2 items, however, is completely impossible!!!!!')
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 09:01:41 pm by Artemis »

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2016, 10:51:46 pm »
And what determines whether or not a CM will ask for a specific item?

I have this about 75% figured out - how it selects new items.

And what exactly determines what Capsule Monster feeding rank an item has?

Will check this also. Admittedly curious.

Also, there's a list with blue chest items consisting of 41 entries. Can you add 1 or 2 more items to that list?
(Please say: 'Yes, it is possible. However, the list can only be increased by exactly one more item. Adding 2 items, however, is completely impossible!!!!!')

I'm guessing it's one of those (adjustable) fixed lists - do you have the location? I could explore moving it to expanded rom.

edit: There might be a bug in the CM feeding routine, when copied from pal. Have to check this later - not getting yuck or yum notification on some items?

edit2: 8E:E466 = cm item rating table

ex.
0 - item <= 499G
1 - item <= 599G
2 - item <= 699G
3 - item <= 999G
4 - item <= 1999G
5 - item <= 2999G
E - item <= 31999G
F - item <= 65535G

Ex-Potion = 500G. Rating 1.
Miracle = 2000G. Rating 5.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 11:33:12 pm by rainponcho »

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2016, 09:21:31 am »
I don't know the location of that list, so it depends on whether you'll find it how we will deal with one or two items.

Okay, let's start will some other items. As byte 01 is 00 or 60 in most cases, I'd say let's change it to 00 if allowed and to 60 if not allowed on our lists.

Fly Ax (75 00):           set to 00 - no reason to not include it
Sea Ring (65 01):      set to 60 - blue chest item, therefore no red chest material
Dragon Ring (66 01): set to 60 - special reward for clearing the AC, therefore it should be too special (like the other two rewards)

There are four rewards for clearing the world's hardest trick. However, only one of them is included. But considering there are even better items which are included (like Old Helmet), there's no reason to not include them as well.

God Robe (D9 00):      set to 00
Bort Shield (0A 01):     set to 00
Creator Helm (3F 01):  set to 00

Then there's the Tag Ring. Considering it's position in the general item list, it's a dummied out item without any intention to put it in, so:

Tag Ring (CE 01 and CF 01): set to 60

However, I have an idea. Can you change its name (both entries) to "Wave Ring" and make it so that the Capsule Monsters sometimes ask for it? (But under no circumstances let it appear in red chests.) That would be a nice continuity nod to Lufia 1.

Finally there are the Flame Jewel (75 01) and the Magma Rock (7C 01). If you cannot add something to the blue chest item list, just set their byte to 00. Otherwise we have to think over what to do with them as it's not totally obvious.

Looking at the code both jewels seem to be blue chest items, however whereas the Flame Jewel seems an obvious choice as all the other elemental jewels are blue chest items (minus the Light Jewel which is special - same as the Dragon Ring mentioned above), it's not that easy in the case of the Magma Rock.

Wheras the item code suggests that the Magma Rock might be a blue chest item as well, its name suggest the opposite. Because in the Japanese version all jewels called rock (ロック) just are normal red chest items.

Oh, and if you make a final aio patch, can you make two versions - one with and one without the capsule monster feeding fix as I totally not want to include it into Kureji Lufia?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 09:31:06 am by Artemis »

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2016, 10:08:28 am »
Okay, let's start will some other items. As byte 01 is 00 or 60 in most cases, I'd say let's change it to 00 if allowed and to 60 if not allowed on our lists.

In oddball chance some other routine uses flags (shops, cm, rng ??)
= 60 -> 40 would be safer (accept)
= 00 -> 20 would be safer (reject)

Or set byte 0 flag. Let me look deeper into this.

Oh, and if you make a final aio patch, can you make two versions - one with and one without the capsule monster feeding fix as I totally not want to include it into Kureji Lufia?

I can do this.

However, I have an idea. Can you change its name (both entries) to "Wave Ring"

Will look later.

and make it so that the Capsule Monsters sometimes ask for it?

Take item fed to monster. Get rating.

Lookup table 95:FF16 - 16 entries.
+0 = ptr to feeding list
+2 = how many items in list (0 ==> 1 item)

Take random number between 0..(# items-1). 0 ==> 0. Lookup sublist. New item.

You should look at list and expert decide edits. If you need list expanded, I should be able to do this.

I don't know the location of that list, so it depends on whether you'll find it how we will deal with one or two items.

I'll give it a try.

edit: 41 (blue chest) rng list @ 94:EEA0.

edit2: 8 chests max per floor

edit3:
Probability table
AE-FF = weapon = 82/256
81-AD = armor = 45/256
63-80 = spell = 30/256
5E-62 = blue = 5/256
24-5D = potion - 58/256
00-23 = items - 36/256

edit4: I need some more info about the feeding glitch. Checked PAL-E much more carefully - it got fed a 0F item. Then fed 0E, 0D, 0C, 0B, 0A, 09 - all got rejected like US. Same annoying picky eater.

Have to check Estopolis II also now.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 11:54:19 am by rainponcho »

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2016, 11:47:26 am »
Speaking of probabilities, as far as I know out of the 41 blue chest items 10 of them have a slightly higher probability to appear. Can you confirm this?

October 20, 2016, 12:00:58 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Take item fed to monster. Get rating.

Lookup table 95:FF16 - 16 entries.
+0 = ptr to feeding list
+2 = how many items in list (0 ==> 1 item)

Take random number between 0..(# items-1). 0 ==> 0. Lookup sublist. New item.

You should look at list and expert decide edits. If you need list expanded, I should be able to do this.

To see whether I get it: So the lowest tier list only contains a Long Knife?

October 20, 2016, 12:15:56 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Nope, I don't really get it. So these 16 entries are the 16 tiers of feeding classes?

But why are there tiers with 0 items?
And in what relation are these tiers? I mean the final tier with actual item consists of... Green Tea, Escape and Jet Helm?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 12:16:27 pm by Artemis »

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2016, 01:21:24 pm »
Very carefully checked J,U,E. All monsters have same behavior - really picky eating machines. 0F -> 0E -> 0D -> 0C -> 0B -> 0A .. -> 05 -> 04. So all versions have this "glitch". All I can offer is to make a yucky item more strong (current rating -1 --> -3) for casual gamers.

Speaking of probabilities, as far as I know out of the 41 blue chest items 10 of them have a slightly higher probability to appear.

No hard-coded bias in selecting chests. 256 / 41 = 6.24390. So some items will show up +1 more often than others.

Ex. 3 items. 256 / 3 = 85.333333  (33%)
0 = 86 (34%)
1 = 85 (33%)
2 = 85 (33%)
(or some variation based on multiplication)

86+85+85 = 256 (100%).

So these 16 entries are the 16 tiers of feeding classes?

Rank 0 - 95:FF16 ==> 95:FF56 = 1 item, Long Knife
Rank 1 - 95:FF1A ==> 95:FF58 = 8 items, Flying Blade - Thunder ax - Toga - Chain Armor - Stone plate - Long robe - Iron plate - Metal mail
Rank 2 - 95:FF1E ==> 95:FF68 = 0 item, [glitch => Magic scale]
Rank 3 - 95:FF22 ==> 95:FF68 = 5 items, Magic scale - Holy robe - Ghostclothes - Royal dress - Full mail
Rank E - 95:FF4E ==> 95:FFE8 = 3 items, Green Tea - Escape - Jet Helm
Rank F - 95:FF52 ==> 95:FFEE = 0 items, [glitch! memory overlap; there is no "real" list => Silver Rod]

My guess is that 0 items = keep same item. Game chooses item from "next" list anyway.

And yeah. They chose some weird item lists.

I'll work on expanding the blue, cm lists first.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 03:26:34 pm by rainponcho »

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2016, 01:57:09 pm »
I don't get what's the glitch. So sometimes the monsters don't react to their feed at all?

Is this in the PAL version as well or did it happen due to the copying somehow?

Maybe we can fix the tiers without having to expand. Like instead just rearrange the pointer and increase the item number.
Any idea how the non-empty tiers work? Like when which tier is called.

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2016, 03:25:18 pm »
I don't get what's the glitch. So sometimes the monsters don't react to their feed at all?

Is this in the PAL version as well or did it happen due to the copying somehow?

CM Feeding problem:
01) Feed it a 0F item (Gades Blade). Now they only want 0F items.
02) Feed it a 0E item = yuck. Now it wants 0E-0F.
03) Feed it a 0D item = yuck! Now it wants 0D-0F.
04) Feed it a 03 item = yuck! Now it wants 0C-0F.
05) Feed it a 0C item = okay. Now it wants 0C-0F.
06) Feed it a 0E item = okay. Now it wants 0E-0F.
aka the expensive diet.

Affected: Estopolis II, Lufia (Europe), Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals. Clean roms. They all have the same feeding "problem".

Any idea how the non-empty tiers work? Like when which tier is called.

Tier used depends on item fed.
- Gades Blade ==> rank 0F ==> Tier F.
- Miracle ==> 2000G ==> rank 05 ==> Tier 5.
- Ex-Potion ==> 500G ==> rank 01 ==> Tier 1.

Maybe we can fix the tiers without having to expand. Like instead just rearrange the pointer and increase the item number.

If you're able to make it work, that works.

edit:

That's probably better idea. Byte 0 is used in other routines.

edit2:
Flame Jewel - blue chest expansion
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=58021453934267851204

edit3:
You can rename Tag Ring --> Wave Ring (any hex editor).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 03:58:35 pm by rainponcho »

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2016, 04:17:31 pm »
CM Feeding problem:
01) Feed it a 0F item (Gades Blade). Now they only want 0F items.
02) Feed it a 0E item = yuck. Now it wants 0E-0F.
03) Feed it a 0D item = yuck! Now it wants 0D-0F.
04) Feed it a 03 item = yuck! Now it wants 0C-0F.
05) Feed it a 0C item = okay. Now it wants 0C-0F.
06) Feed it a 0E item = okay. Now it wants 0E-0F.
aka the expensive diet.

Is it a glitch, though? Instead of the CM just being snobby assholes.
And where do you think is the glitch?
At 01) because it immidiately goes up to 0F or at 06) because it goes to 0E to 0F (instead of 0D to 0F)?

And about byte 01? Did you find something out about the values or are 00/40 and 20/60 just totally interchangable?

And yes, renaming is easy. The part I didn't know was how to make the CMs demand it. But now, I'll think about these food demandings tiers then.

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2016, 05:16:08 pm »
Is it a glitch, though? Instead of the CM just being snobby assholes.
And where do you think is the glitch?

When I (incorrectly) copied from PAL, I created a glitch - they sometimes don't respond yuck!. Item just disappears. All 3 clean roms don't have this problem.

All 3 roms create snobby fussy eaters. It makes sense in a way - if they eat 3-star Michelin food, why would they want water hotdogs or moonpies?

But it does take a lot of work to bring down their appetite levels. And maybe their food preference jumps too high too quickly (exhibit 01).

Is it a glitch? No. It's not broken anywhere. Just annoying. What do Lufia players want / prefer?

And about byte 01? Did you find something out about the values or are 00/40 and 20/60 just totally interchangable?

No indicators yet. I have another idea to check though.

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2016, 06:04:38 pm »
When I (incorrectly) copied from PAL, I created a glitch - they sometimes don't respond yuck!. Item just disappears. All 3 clean roms don't have this problem.

So this issue is fixed, right?

About the appetite level, I'd say it's fine. Nothing more to do there. I'll do the Wave Ring thing, then.

Ancient Cave is fine then, too. Did you add the Magma Rock to the other obtainable red chest items?

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2016, 06:38:53 pm »
So this issue is fixed, right?

About the appetite level, I'd say it's fine. Nothing more to do there.

Ignore any patches about CM feeding - vanilla rom code works the best.

Did you add the Magma Rock to the other obtainable red chest items?

Only blue chest was added. Didn't touch anything else.

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2016, 06:49:46 pm »
Another thing: The drop rate of monster drops. There's one byte in the monster data that determines whether it's an item from the first or second set of 256 items as well as the actual drop rate.

Starting with 00/01 increasing it by +2 the drop rate increases by 0.25% up to C8/C9 which is 25%. Anything above seems to still be 25%, too.

It is possible to change it so that if you set that byte to FE/FF, the drop will be a 100% drop? That would upvalue stuff like Kureji enormously.

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2016, 09:09:51 pm »
Haven't seen byte1 used anywhere so far other than cave. Byte0 controls most things - equip, use, sell, feed.

Item drop formula:
01) Game takes drop rate / 2 ==> target
02) Game chooses rng between 0-99
03) If rng >= target, fail
04) Game chooses rng between 0-3
05) If rng != 1, fail
06) Award item

FE-FF = always drop
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=00239367742955370438

v19 aio
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=42317171307874491770

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2016, 10:35:25 pm »
Okay, so we're almost done. I did the final equipment fix.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gvu52oy765160cq/acequipment_finalfix.ips

You can add it to the AC equipment fix. It only does the aforementioned changes of byte 1 for some items as well as one additional GP value change.

And the always drop patch only changes FE/FF and lets everything else (highest actual used value is C8/C9) unchanged, right?

So there only remains the CMs. Any chance to copy from the PAL version without that glitch?
And I'll still look at the feed demanding lists then.

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2016, 10:46:23 pm »
So there only remains the CMs. Any chance to copy from the PAL version without that glitch?

Actually, there is nothing to copy - it was an asm reading mistake. Code is exactly the same for all 3 games. Behavior is the same for all regions. Tested and verified.

And the always drop patch only changes FE/FF and lets everything else (highest actual used value is C8/C9) unchanged, right?

Only affects FE-FF values.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2016, 01:40:27 am »
Huh. I guess that was a myth, then, that the Capsule Monsters had different feeding values among different regions.

So are we officially all done here then, gang?

Edit - I have a question for you guys. So, we know that Lufia I and II have three usable thunder-elemental spells, and Lufia III has four. Lufia I also has three additional unusable thunder-elemental spells, one of which is a boss magic only.

Lufia I has...
Le-Gi / Flash
Le-Gio / Bolt
Le-Gion / Thunder
Ele-Gi / (Same, I named it Shock. Dummied)
Ele-Gio / (Same, I named it Plasma. Dummied)
Ele-Gion / (Same, I named it Skywrath. Was dummied, but restored, so now the final boss can use it again)

Lufia II has...
Le-Gio / Flash
Le-Gion / Bolt
Le-Gion / Thunder

BUT, in this game, Thunder actually summons a thunderbeast (Raiju) to attack your enemies. Lufia I's Thunder was a massive thunderbolt.

Lufia III has...
Le-Gi / Flash
Le-Gio / Bolt
Le-Gion / Thunder (Is actually the same Le-Gion from Lufia I)
Ele-Gion / Storm (Is actually the same Le-Gion from Lufia II)

So I don't know what to do. I was considering renaming Storm to be Skywrath. The other spells of this line are Dragon (Water-elemental, in Lufia II only), Ice Valk (Ice-elemental), and Firebird (Fire-elemental), so I feel like thematically the name fits.

Suggestions?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 09:38:24 pm by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.