News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Lufia-Patches by Artemis  (Read 46328 times)

Digitsie

• View Profile
Re: Lufia-Patches by Artemis
« Reply #320 on: December 06, 2017, 02:04:18 pm »
Seconded to vivify93's choices. Although mine is probably not as self-serving.  ;)

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 10, 2017, 09:33:34 am »

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #322 on: December 15, 2017, 11:47:32 am »
Frue Lufia is all I ever wanted from Lufia 2. I hope one day a Hacker takes Lufia 3 and removes the randomly generated dungeons in place of some nice custom dungeons. I feel the randomized roguelike factor made less people like it which sucks because it had a nice follow up story to 1 :3

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 14, 2018, 09:16:43 pm »
Did fix a little thing about IP moves and their costs:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/cm3mbo4mmib05wa/Lufia-Patches_v3.zip

And these days I thought it actually were ready...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:57:16 pm by Artemis »

effingwewt

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 21, 2018, 07:50:49 pm »
Did fix a little thing about IP moves and their costs:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/cm3mbo4mmib05wa/Lufia-Patches_v3.zip

And these days I thought it actually were ready...

ARTEMIS, I just wanted to thank you so very much for all the hard work and dedication. I was born in '80, so these games were my childhood, and being able to relive them in their FULLEST GLORY is unreal. I played the roms a while back since I've not had the cart in ages. Way back when, I saw mention of your patches in a GF thread, but never bothered. Recently I decided to pick up the game again and decided to hunt down the patches. Imagine my surprise when not only are there current valid links from which to download them, but you are STILL working on them and updating them, what, almost TEN YEARS LATER?!?! I would love to buy you a beer my man, or even a steak dinner for the hard, thankless work.

Also, thanks to you as well vivify93 for spreading the love and keeping the patches alive.

I literally made an account here just to thank you guys and let y'all know how much you are appreciated! :woot!: :woot!: :woot!:

Now, off to have fun with these things and see how much better the game is! Incidentally, I believe the rom I used was [.U], but only 1.83mb total size, but seems to be working well so far, I an assuming the smaller size is due to being headerless?

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 21, 2018, 11:34:56 pm »
Glad you like it, hopefully this actually will be the final version, finally... :)

However, 1.83 mb is quite a little too less. Header only makes 512 byte, so I guess your ROM actually is bigger. Besides, these ROMs don't have such non-smooth size number. Whatever, as long as it works...

SCO

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 22, 2018, 04:27:13 am »
When i use these patches to the no-intro rom i apply ipsbehead to them first. Otherwise it freezes some-when in the intro i think. I could also apply a new header to the rom with nsrt, but between the hack and the rom not being recognized for scanners i much prefer the hack (not that any scanner recognizes hacks anyway, because romhacking doesn't distribute a .DAT - like it should).

https://github.com/heuripedes/ipsbehead

effingwewt

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 23, 2018, 09:32:07 pm »
Well it seems to be working perfectly so far, I'm at the sky tower boss at the moment, even with grinding I steadily either get stomped out or my CM dies, these bosses are NO JOKE! Definitely way more fun than just breezing through that's for sure! I'm playing on replay mode too, I don't know what I'd do on start mode or even worse the monster buff patch. Some people must be gluttons for punishment LOL!  :cookie: 's for everyone!

effingwewt

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 01, 2018, 10:08:12 pm »
Ok, so I am STILL playing this gamefile because i was insane enough to stop and hit the ancient cave while i still have Dekar. I have a question Artemis... is it still possible to get the gold/silver eyes from the respective dragons? I read the patch notes where you changed the drops to the rings, but I am unsure as to whether those are the only drops now, and the eyes have to be found from chests (I assume, as I've already found a silver eye from a blue chest). I also noticed the dragons are now immune to all cursed insta-death weps,so it makes the cave tremendously more difficult, but I'm almost to the bottom! :woot!:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 11:03:14 pm by effingwewt »

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 02, 2018, 10:57:38 am »
I was seriously confused for a second,  I've never even played Lufia but this has peaked my interest. Thanks, other Artemis!

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #330 on: February 02, 2018, 03:12:04 pm »
No other drop, so the jewels are obtainable only from blue chests there.

And for a complete newcomer I really recommend Spekkio Lufia as it does a little bit of rebalancing.

effingwewt

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 02, 2018, 11:44:14 pm »
Right on old Artemis, thanks for the heads-up, and to new Artemis: most definitely don't start on kureji, o at least stay out of the Ancient Cave that playthru. I was doing so well, but old tactics don't work against this new version of the Boss, and I cant seem to find a way to kill him with what I'd thought was the best possible setup :( I may have to leave and come back without Dekar. This game is beyond Nintendo Hard now lol!

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 11, 2018, 12:24:11 pm »
On a playthrough I encountered a strange oddity. I was mindless grinding my CMs to level 99
and when Sully was short before reaching 99 as well, something strange happened.

Can anyone check out the Snes9x savestate?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/piy3h0zeipidf11/lufia2.005

Just run around and do the battles solely by everyone attacking normally.
The first battle goes normal and Sully gets some EXP and needs only around 40000 to gain level 99.
However, the second battle should go against 3 Gold Golems - altogether worth 12000 EXP.
But, for some reason after the battle Sully levels up despite he should still need some more EXP.

I played on Spekkio to get the save, but got the very same results on a vanilla ROM as well.

Anyone have a clue what's up here?

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 11, 2018, 01:30:18 pm »
Without looking in the game itself:
Either the depiction of the Exp requirement on screen doesn't match up with the real requirement,
or there is a overflow glitch, by which the game freaks out and goes straight to maximum.

In Pokemon RBY there is such a overflow glitch, where the Pokemon levels from Level 1 to 100.

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 11, 2018, 01:38:28 pm »
Either the depiction of the Exp requirement on screen doesn't match up with the real requirement

Oh yes, it's that simple. Then I don't care any further, thanks!

March 11, 2018, 08:47:57 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hmm, guess it's an overflow thing instead. It does the very same with GP. Like, if you have 9959999 and get a few thousands, you'll instantly go to 9999999. Happens also on a vanilla PAL version. Seems to be harmless, though.

March 13, 2018, 11:46:37 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Okay, looks like for some reason at the end of a battle both gold and exp get rounded to max as soon as you reach 9961472 (which is 00 00 98 in hex).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 11:46:37 pm by Artemis »

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 23, 2018, 08:35:49 pm »
Time for a little update:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xa87fwrs2e956m1/Lufia-Patches_v3.zip

Aside from one little change about Red Jellies in Spekkio, I only refined the readme files.

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 16, 2018, 11:31:56 pm »
Okay, I finally say this is it! Did some Spekkio runs as well as finished a Kureji run yesterday, and I think it's ready now!

Another update (where only the read-mes are modified):

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4i3ny37z2493fri/Lufia-Patches_v3.zip

So out of all these patches I'd say there are only 11 at max really worth to get uploaded on their own, though. That is, the 8 project patches for the US version and the 3 projects for the German version.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 02:30:22 am by Artemis »

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 01, 2018, 05:34:09 am »
Well, it seems like I never made RHDN threads for my projects, so I'm gonna hijack this one for another post about Lufia I Restored and Lufia III Text Cleanup...

Would anyone be interested in "original font" patches for my Lufia I and III projects? Just so there's more of an overall vanilla feel to the games.

One of the ambitions of unifying the trilogy was to use the same font across all three projects, and that idea was fueled further by the fact that Lufia DS' font is basically the same as the one we decided on. But personally, I kind of get nostalgic for the Lufia I menu font sometimes. However, I admit that I find the Lufia III menu and dialogue fonts to both be ugly as sin.

Here are some examples.

Lufia & the Fortress of Doom:

Dragon Egg item description.

Jerin's magic list.

I've modified the font a little so that some letters don't go over the "top line" in an unattractive manner.

Lufia: The Legend Returns:

Ruby's equipment menu.

Original dialogue boxes patch.

Small dialogue boxes patch.

Just like with Lufia I, I've modified this font a little, mostly to make sure none of the serifs run into each other in the menu font.

Would anyone use these? I have them ready to go, but I figure I'd ask to gauge interest first--especially since Lufia III would end up having 4 patches...

Edit 1 - Also, should I let Lufia equip the Might equipment in Lufia I? I didn't let her in previous versions, because I figured it'd be a failsafe in case you gave her one of the few pieces of Might gear that you get for low effort before the Fortress of Doom event. But now I'm wondering if I should let her have it anyway. Thoughts?

Edit 2 - I didn't let Lufia equip the Might stuff, but I decided to go ahead with the Lufia I and III original font versions. I forgot to update the screenshots, but the patches are in the archives.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 01:42:23 pm by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

illuminerdi

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 03, 2018, 12:13:16 am »
You should submit this to get pages for these on RHDN. These look like great patches, no sense hiding them in the forums!

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 05, 2018, 09:03:37 am »
I'm too lazy to load up the stuff properly. But I guess my stuff is ready now.

As for the Might equipment, the items in question are all obtainable as often as possible, right? (As opposed to getting them per Egg Dragon wish.) Then sure, why not? I did something similar in Spekkio Lufia by letting Artea and Lexis also wear Mirac Plates from the blue chest items because it just felt better balancing-wise.