News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Building a Japanese table  (Read 1188 times)

Cranzor

• View Profile
Building a Japanese table
« on: August 18, 2015, 07:24:58 pm »
Hi everyone! First post here.

I should begin by saying that I have absolutely no experience with ROM hacking, so please bear with me! For the past week or so, I've been trying to dump the script of Slime Morimori Dragon Quest for the GBA. I discovered that there seems to be a portion of the game that is in English. From there, I made a table for the alphabet and found a bunch of English words in seemingly random order. (I've since discovered that some English words do not appear when I search for them, leading me to think this may one of multiple tables.) After that, I opened the game with a tile viewer and looked at the order of all of the characters. Assuming that hiragana begins immediately after the English alphabet ends, like in the game's tiles, I went in that order in my table file. After adding the entirety of hiragana and katakana, it looks like this still isn't correct.

I'm very confused. I've tried a bunch of different methods to find the values for the Japanese characters and haven't had much luck. In Monkey-Moore, I've tried doing relative searching but I keep getting multiple results for what the values could be, which is way too ambiguous for me to figure out.

Is there anything else I can try? I feel like I'm out of options. There's also the problem of having no idea how to actually dump the text once my table is done, but I guess I'll get to that later.

I've had a ton of fun trying to figure all of this out. I'm sure there are pretty obvious things that I am missing -- I'd love to learn more and get better at this.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Building a Japanese table
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 03:13:29 am »
I recently started work on my first translation so I may be able to help. I'll try anyway. :) I was in a similar situation just a few weeks ago.

It took a bit of tinkering to get this to display properly but this was all of the fonts I found aside from a few random things that lay just beyond this that probably need to be translated as-is (in a tile editor). The address for the stuff on display was 73CF00.

To get this to display properly I had to set Crystal Tile up like the tiles were 8x16 (16x8?) but as you can see they are not all within these dimensions. Some look 8x8 as well.

Anyway, if you haven't accessed this yet it should give you an indication of what order the characters should be arranged in your table file. If it's too small copy the image in MS Paint or something and zoom in. Hope this helps.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Cranzor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 04:28:05 am »
Thank you! That's really helpful. I opened it before but it was not as clear as what you have.

Hmm... Well, I know for sure I have the English part right. If you build a table with 2A=A and so on throughout the alphabet, and then do a relative search for "SOCCER," you'll see a bunch of English words. Building off of this and immediately following with hiragana only seems to produce a bunch of gibberish. I have a katakana table that seems like it might be correct, since I saw "suraimu" and "mama" multiple times, both of which are in the game. The only problem is that it begins with 60=ア. If I were to place hiragana before it, like in the fonts, the values would overlap with what I have for the English alphabet. Not sure where to proceed.

Are the different fonts different tables in the game? With my table of the alphabet, the numbers come before the letters like in the second font, so I've mainly been working from that. Maybe I should try with the other fonts though.

Normmatt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 07:30:43 am »
This game is already being worked on but here's the two table files https://gist.github.com/Normmatt/1c3386ae504a2cce1ba8

Cranzor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 12:20:58 pm »
Is it? I know there was a translation started but it looks like it hasn't been updated since 2008.

I'm in no position to actually be undergoing a translation at this point -- just wanted to take a look at the script. And if I did want to begin one, I definitely wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes.

Thank you so much for the tables! I really appreciate it.