News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man 4 enemy graphics with "MegaFLE X"  (Read 911 times)

TheSkipper1995

• View Profile
Mega Man 4 enemy graphics with "MegaFLE X"
« on: August 15, 2015, 05:34:55 pm »
So, I'm messing around editing Mega Man 4 with MegaFLE X and I've run into an odd issue.

For those of you familiar with hacking Mega Man games, you probably know that how only a certain amount of enemies can be used on any given screen of a stage and that you can change which enemy graphics are loaded in which screens to make your level design work properly. This is all well and good, however there seems to be an issue with this when working with rooms that trigger a stage's checkpoint. Playing through a stage normally with the edited enemy graphics works fine... but if I die and restart at the checkpoint, the enemy graphics revert to what they were in the original, un-edited stage.

Here's what the stage normally looks like in the original MM4; as you can see, it uses the bat and wheel enemies:

Here's my edited version with new graphics for the firework, lightbulb and moving platform enemies:

And here's what my edited version looks like if I die and restart at the checkpoint. As you can see, it's using graphics for the bat and wheel enemies from the original version of the game:

Anyone familiar with MegaFLE X have any ideas as to how I can fix this issue?

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Man 4 enemy graphics with "MegaFLE X"
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 07:14:44 pm »
Does this utility have a way to edit the checkpoints? Otherwise this may be something that will need to be fixed via hex.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

TheSkipper1995

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man 4 enemy graphics with "MegaFLE X"
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 09:04:21 pm »
Does this utility have a way to edit the checkpoints? Otherwise this may be something that will need to be fixed via hex.

I do, actually! Check this out, here's what I use to edit the enemy graphics; the "Scroll GFX Load" is what controls the enemy graphics. As you can see, it's set to "13" which is what loads the graphics I need:

And here's what the checkpoint editor looks like. I've tried messing with the "Initial CHR Load ID" number and it DOES, in fact, change what graphics load when I die and respawn at the checkpoint. You may think that all I need to do is change it to "13" and all will be well and good, but it seems that the "Scroll GFX Load" and "Initial CHR Load ID" numbers do NOT correspond to eachother. Theoretically, I could use trial & error to find out witch Initial CHR number I need, but that would take a very long time: