News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hypothetical DQ7 hack concerning the wisdom stat  (Read 889 times)

Aldrich

• View Profile
Hypothetical DQ7 hack concerning the wisdom stat
« on: August 06, 2015, 12:09:30 pm »
Greetings folks. I've been playing through some of the older Dragon Quest games after finish 8 and the static damage ranges for spells has always bugged me, especially in 7.

So out of curiosity, would it even be possible to alter some of the game's coding to scale spell damage with the caster's wisdom ala 8? I don't have any true programming knowledge myself and I am well aware that 7's coding is a bit of a mess, but I would imagine that the actual lines of code would be relatively compact.

My apologies if this comes off as request-y; I'm just interested in knowing if such a fix is even feasible without the source code.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
Re: Hypothetical DQ7 hack concerning the wisdom stat
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 09:32:34 pm »
I don't know if it's possible without the source code, but from a balance perspective, if you wanted INT scaling to really be competitive late/endgame, you may want to be more ambitious that DQ 8's scaling, as I believe that scaling tops out at a certain damage level.  While it may make a mess of the balance, I think you'll need to make the upper and lower damage limits for each magic attack variable as well for this to work.

For example, I believe currently the spells have a set range of damage, but to make INT-scaling work for real, you'll have to go in and probably change those limits.  DQ 8 I believe had a variable range based on the INT level of the caster.