News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Unprecedented Crisis - Version 2  (Read 4974 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Unprecedented Crisis - Version 2
« on: August 05, 2015, 07:39:03 pm »

Update By: pinkpuff

After a lot of useful feedback from people who played the first version, the new and improved version of the extensive Final Fantasy 4 hack, Unprecedented Crisis, is ready for release.

There are quite a few things fixed and/or improved over version 1. The readme explains them in more detail, but the highlights are:

* Smoother difficulty curve, particularly the underworld.
* Fewer damage floors and more ways to avoid them.
* New commands! Cid gets "Dash" which allows him to ram into an enemy like Umaro from FF6, and Kain gets "Lance" (Lancet) which drains HP.
* Starting inventory; sort and trash now start at the top.
* Automatic party size tracking; you can no longer choose to overfill your party and wreck your game.
* More hints given about where to go and what to do. You should definitely check out Baron's Training Room and the Agart Inn.
* Many other minor fixes and improvements.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2461/)

magictrufflez

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Unprecedented Crisis - Version 2
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 11:03:22 am »
YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

JimmorrFan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 02:59:29 pm »
Nice job with this hack, but I ran into a glitch. I just saves Rydia's from the guards, and I was walking in the upper room of the inn. After I entered the doorway, I was on Mount Hobbs! I tried it several times and always ended  up on Hobbs. I look forward to playing this again once this fixed.

pinkpuff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 03:53:53 pm »
I'm afraid I can't replicate your issue and thus can't address it. Unless this is happening to other people as well, I'm going to say that most likely there was a problem with the patching process. Check your original rom's checksums against the ones listed on the hack project page. In addition, check that your rom is unheadered.
Let's dance!

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 04:37:07 pm »
Nice job with this hack, but I ran into a glitch. I just saves Rydia's from the guards, and I was walking in the upper room of the inn. After I entered the doorway, I was on Mount Hobbs! I tried it several times and always ended  up on Hobbs. I look forward to playing this again once this fixed.

I at first had a similar problem as well, it is likely a different Checksum that you have. That turned out to be my issue as well.

DocSmock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 06:10:50 pm »
I've duplicated the above glitch- entering into the 2nd floor of the Kaipo inn warps me to Mt Hobs (and unable to escape at such a low level!). In addition, when trying to leave the Fabul Throneroom from the south exit, I am placed within a wall on the next screen and thus am unable to progress.

I'll try to look into the checksum and header issues, but that's something I've never done before and will have to google how to do so.

By the way, love the patch otherwise so far!

edit: oh, also there's a line of dialogue with an error. When Cecil is waking up and calling for Kain after the Town of Myst, his 2nd or 3rd dialogue box has gibberish and Palom's name in it (or Porom's name, I forget which).

edit2: I'm a dope. I accidently patched version 1.0 instead of 1.1. After repatching, all of the above mentioned room exits work properly!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 06:38:35 pm by DocSmock »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 06:33:46 pm »
I'll try to look into the checksum and header issues, but that's something I've never done before and will have to google how to do so.

This program should probably be of use to you. It will display your ROMs info and you can compare that with the info in the patch's readme.
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/400/

I linked the Win version but there are also other versions available.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 08:33:03 pm »
This program should probably be of use to you. It will display your ROMs info and you can compare that with the info in the patch's readme.
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/400/

I linked the Win version but there are also other versions available.
I rather recommend these instead, these are more up to date
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1002/
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/931/

JimmorrFan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 10:09:06 am »
pinkpuff, thank you for the reply. I will make sure I use the right rom, thanks again.

aznblusuazn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 10:31:57 am »

This is a great hack. I have enjoyed it. I just wanted to point out that after Lugae, when the party faces Golbez in the scripted lose battle, Shadow demolishes everyone except Kain. In hackster, it appears that Shadow is looking for Tellah. The battle never ends. As a workaround, you can have Kain down before the battle. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

pinkpuff

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 11:07:30 am »
He's not looking for Tellah. What you're seeing is an artifact of using the original config file. The actor that in Unprecedented Crisis is Kain 3 is the actor that in vanilla FF4 was Tellah 3. To account for the situation where Kain is in mid-jump when the Shadow dragon does his main chain, he should switch to a mode where he just spams demolish. It could be that there's something making him immune to Demolish... the new Aegis shield comes to mind. I might have to nerf its KO resistance to get that battle to work.

Glad you enjoyed it otherwise though.

EDIT: Removing KO immunity from the Aegis shield seems to have done the trick. Version 2.1 has now been submitted. I highly reccommend anyone who has 2.0 to download 2.1 once it's approved (your saves should be compatible; you won't have to start a new game).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:45:22 am by pinkpuff »
Let's dance!

aznblusuazn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 02:42:36 pm »
He's not looking for Tellah. What you're seeing is an artifact of using the original config file. The actor that in Unprecedented Crisis is Kain 3 is the actor that in vanilla FF4 was Tellah 3. To account for the situation where Kain is in mid-jump when the Shadow dragon does his main chain, he should switch to a mode where he just spams demolish. It could be that there's something making him immune to Demolish... the new Aegis shield comes to mind. I might have to nerf its KO resistance to get that battle to work.

Glad you enjoyed it otherwise though.

EDIT: Removing KO immunity from the Aegis shield seems to have done the trick. Version 2.1 has now been submitted. I highly reccommend anyone who has 2.0 to download 2.1 once it's approved (your saves should be compatible; you won't have to start a new game).

Thank you for addressing this!   Also I found another weird occurrence.  In the first Milon battle, if Rydia uses "Help!" and summons Odin, Odin slices all the aghast and Milon... But Milon is still there just no sprite.  I'd suggest just blocking Odin from being able to be used here.  Alternatively let Odin slice Milon :) Thanks!

August 09, 2015, 03:45:49 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I also wanted to add that in my first playthrough (pre v2) on the quest to Pally, you can run from all zombie battles.  Was this corrected in v2?  If not, could it be?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 03:45:49 pm by aznblusuazn »

Lumiere

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 03:59:13 pm »
You can't run from the zombies anymore.

pinkpuff

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 04:44:28 am »
V. 2.1 that fixes the softlock has now been approved and is ready for download.
Let's dance!