News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Insert english script in the GBA Ace Attorney games?  (Read 2904 times)

Bregalad

• View Profile
Insert english script in the GBA Ace Attorney games?
« on: August 04, 2015, 06:45:46 am »
I know the DS version of the Ace Attorney trilogy is very faithful to the GBA originals, yet they are not 100% faithful. The interface changed a lot and so did the music. Only the first case of the third game has been translated in english, and I belive it's more enjoyable than the DS version!

How hard would it be to insert the english, french or german script from the DS version in the GBA originals? There seems to be already existing tools to deal with the DS version, but they're quite unusable/incomplete.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Insert english script in the GBA Ace Attorney games?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 04:10:08 pm »
I recall seeing a project a few years back (possibly even on this site) aimed at translating the GBA versions using the DS scripts for use with the PSP. On account of having a DS I did not pay much attention to it though.
From what I recall the GBA version had smaller text boxes which would necessitate a slightly squashed script, or expansion if you want to head down that path. After that I do not think there was anything outrageous (no crazy markup or anything like that) though if you wanted you could do it all and add a VFW and fancy stuff.

Here is a later project than the one I am thinking of but has some good info
https://gbatemp.net/threads/gyakuten-saiban-1-3-translation.76754/

On the music I did have a look at some of the DS games for someone once. I can not remember which way around it was but one of the later games used a different instrument set/SBNK to the earlier stuff but otherwise had very similar tunes. You might then be able to inject the altered sound banks and/or sequences into the other games to get a bit closer to the GBA side of things.

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: Insert english script in the GBA Ace Attorney games?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 04:23:18 am »
Thanks!