News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Castlevania Aria of Sorrow picture removal  (Read 3482 times)

caminopreacher

• "What is a man?"
    • View Profile
Castlevania Aria of Sorrow picture removal
« on: August 03, 2015, 11:32:26 am »
Currently trying to remove the character pictures that go along with character dialogue. That would fall under graphic editing, yes? I figured that would be my best bet since there isn't a "transparent hex" color. I eventually want to rewrite the script as well but that's a topic for another day. Any suggestions regarding the picture removal? Thanks much!

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Castlevania Aria of Sorrow picture removal
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 07:16:02 pm »
There is a transparent colour. The colour 0 of the palettes you are using should be ( http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#lcdcolorpalettes ).

Yeah that would be graphic editing. If you don't want to edit the game to never display it (not the hardest hack in the world but probably not a beginner project) then just make it transparent by overwriting the tiled images with the colour 0. It may well be compressed but GBA compression is fairly well known and handled.

I recall doing something similar, or at least something similar with the portraits, for a castlevania game a while back, though it was probably one of the DS games. Granted Konami did not exactly change their code much so you should be good for this.

caminopreacher

• "What is a man?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 09:34:00 am »
I used palette Editor Advance, but since that's just colors, when i relaced everything with 0000 the pics were all black. Would I use a different program? Tile Layer maybe? And yes, that's all i want is to remove the pirtraits entirely.

I have also began to try to edit the game script. I found the dilogue in a hex editor and when i type over it, i dont have much free space to work with. Any advice on that since you seem to know your stuff? Thanks again (and sorry for the late reply).

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 11:47:59 am »
I used palette Editor Advance, but since that's just colors, when i relaced everything with 0000 the pics were all black.
Well, that's a start. You could try to figure out how to designate 0000 as the transparent color, but don't the portraits already have a color that is designated as transparent?

I have also began to try to edit the game script. I found the dilogue in a hex editor and when i type over it, i dont have much free space to work with.
Generally this requires "pointer hacking", which isn't quite as dreadful as it sounds.  See http://www.romhacking.net/?page=documents&category=6&platform=&game=&author=&perpage=20&level=&title=&desc=&docsearch=Go .  (None of those apply directly to the GBA, but the principles are the same, I think.)
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

caminopreacher

• "What is a man?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 01:34:14 pm »
I think the transparent color is supposed to be the first one in the line, but it just ends up being all green.
I'll look into point hacking. Thanks much!

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 03:20:34 pm »
I think the best solution is to remove the instruction to show the portrait. That in turn depends on where the portrait is shown. If it is in a dialog box then there is usually a control code to switch portrait, nearly always with a no picture option.

caminopreacher

• "What is a man?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 04:31:05 pm »
Wow. I never knew that was an option. Wherr would that code be in the Rom? Could i locate it with a hex editor and just replace all with the code to not show it? Thanks for all the great advice guys!

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 05:06:32 am »
It depends on the game and where it shows the image. I already covered dialogs. If it's in a level background then you probably want to edit a tilemap. If it's in menus then it's bound to be hardcoded and require a lot of understanding of the code to remove.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 11:09:15 am »
It might even be in the dialogue itself, probably more-or-less right before if it's handled by control code.  Otherwise, it'll probably be a pain.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 10:14:20 pm »
It might even be in the dialogue itself, probably more-or-less right before if it's handled by control code.  Otherwise, it'll probably be a pain.
To clarify, in such a case it would just be some hex digit (or two) thrown in right before a piece of dialog.  In that case, you would see the same hex digit appearing before each instance of a particular character's dialog, and you would be able to change the displayed portrait (or remove it entirely) just by changing that hex digit.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 12:03:38 am »

To clarify, in such a case it would just be some hex digit (or two) thrown in right before a piece of dialog.  In that case, you would see the same hex digit appearing before each instance of a particular character's dialog, and you would be able to change the displayed portrait (or remove it entirely) just by changing that hex digit.

Yeah. What they said.

The best way to find out would probably be to examine a few dialogue entries from one particular character in a hex editor, see what hex preceeds the actual dialogue, if there is a pattern, make a note, examine a few pieces of dialogue from another character, again see if there is a pattern in the hex values that preceed the actual dialogue and make a note of it. Then compare. If you're lucky it could be as simple as (just for example) FF 01 for one character and FF 02 for another, depending on how the dialogue in this particular game was coded.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

caminopreacher

• "What is a man?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 09:34:13 pm »
Thanks so much guys! I've just finished rewriting the entire story. Cant wait to post it!

August 17, 2015, 03:22:53 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Yeah. What they said.

The best way to find out would probably be to examine a few dialogue entries from one particular character in a hex editor, see what hex preceeds the actual dialogue, if there is a pattern, make a note, examine a few pieces of dialogue from another character, again see if there is a pattern in the hex values that preceed the actual dialogue and make a note of it. Then compare. If you're lucky it could be as simple as (just for example) FF 01 for one character and FF 02 for another, depending on how the dialogue in this particular game was coded.

The most I was able to do when I found the entries in the hex editor was keep the names in the boxes from showing up (Soma, Mina, ect..) Other than that, no dice. I have rewritten the entire story and still can't remove those pictures...Oh well. I'm about to post them any way. Maybe someone will take pity and remove them for me. lol. Thanks again, everybody. I'll keep trying. And if you wanna check out my spoof, comments are appreciated...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 03:22:53 pm by caminopreacher »

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 01:13:30 pm »
A spoof of Aria of Sorrow? You can bet your ass I'll be playing it.  :thumbsup:

I enjoyed Aria of Sorrow (though Circle of the Moon's my favorite of the "Metroidvania" style) but it's story ended up being boring and dry.  A spoof'll definitely fix that haha.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

caminopreacher

• "What is a man?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 01:44:24 pm »
A spoof of Aria of Sorrow? You can bet your ass I'll be playing it.  :thumbsup:

I enjoyed Aria of Sorrow (though Circle of the Moon's my favorite of the "Metroidvania" style) but it's story ended up being boring and dry.  A spoof'll definitely fix that haha.

I posted it yesterday but it got rejected because the i didnt properly identify the rom. Ill give it another shot today. Ive worked too hard on this for that to stop it. Lol.

I've made 2 spoofs. One has Soma looking like Dracula and the other has him looking like Death. I even quote Bill and Ted in that one. Hope yall like it.  Speaking o cotm, why has nobody made a Hugh hack yet?  Btw check out Serios Castlevania Fighter. Every Metroidvania fans dream...

August 20, 2015, 08:07:17 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I posted it yesterday but it got rejected because the i didnt properly identify the rom. Ill give it another shot today. Ive worked too hard on this for that to stop it. Lol.

I've made 2 spoofs. One has Soma looking like Dracula and the other has him looking like Death. I even quote Bill and Ted in that one. Hope yall like it.  Speaking o cotm, why has nobody made a Hugh hack yet?  Btw check out Serios Castlevania Fighter. Every Metroidvania fans dream...

SUCCESS! THE "Death" spoof has been posted!  Dracula one is up next. Hope you enjoy! Lemme know what you think!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 08:07:17 am by caminopreacher »